Citroen Xsara HDI 90 2.0 - Cold Start Struggle - adam0303

Hi All my car is struggling to start when cold and when its colder i get white smoke but less when warm i have replaced the glowplugs air and fuel filter which didnt work so i then replaced coolant temp sensor which made it a little worse, it has a siemens fuel system with the bulb on the fuel line and no lift pump in the tank just a sender unit has anyone got any ideas i checked the voltage from the relay and reads 14 volts when just started at cold.

Citroen Xsara HDI 90 2.0 - Cold Start Struggle - Peter.N.

A good Hdi engine doesn't need the glow plugs to start. When it starts is it firing on all cylinders, have you tried pumping the primer before starting it? White smoke is unburnt fuel so assuming the fuel is being injected at the correct time the usual cause is low compression on one or more cylinders although these engines are usually good for a very high mileage.

Hi

ye
Hi

what causes low compression engine is only on 73k

Edited by adam0303 on 22/12/2011 at 18:39

Normally wear, but that's unlikely at that mileage if its had regular oil changes. Could be valves not seating, but that's unusual. If its only on one cylinder could be broken rings, does it start up on alll cylinders?

hi yes seems to run fine cant hear any missing i have even got someone to look on lexia and the only thing we could notice is that the injectors were running unevenly i.e the one on the far left read 115% yet far right said 84% cant remember the other %'s not sure if that would cause and issue

A strange one that, had it not been an Hdi I would have said that the injection timing is possibly retarded but as its all electronic that's unlikely. The only thing I can suggest is that you have the compressions tested.

Citroen Xsara HDI 90 2.0 - Cold Start Struggle - madf

Could be a wron crankshaft pulley retarding the timing..

i cant hear the crank shaft pulley but will check that anyway as they are common for going, i spoke to a diesel company and they said that because i have air in the pipes it could be leaking back and maybe worth putting in a non return valve but god knows where i would get the right on