Exeos Vs Skoda - Automatics CVT Vs DSG - libspero

Hi All,

I know it is generally bad form to sign up to a new forum and immediately ask for advice/assistance from veteran members.. I can only beg a little latitude in this case.. I'm not usually much of a petrol head.

I have been looking at alternatives for a "nearly new" company car.. It needs to be a 2litre diesel with automatic gearbox, a good reliable runner and reasonably fuel efficient.

After visiting several dealers, I'm coming down on either a Skoda Octavia with DSG or a Seat Exeo with their CVT transmission which fall neatly into my price range of around £16-£18k.

I was originally sure I would choose the Skoda (I have always driven DSGs.. they are great!), however the Exeo is coming in at a very good price and you get a lot of car for your money! My concern is that on paper the fuel efficiency of the Exeo isn't very different to the Skoda, I just wondered whether anyone had any experience of both and could comment on whether they expereinced a bigger 'real-world' difference, if there is much difference in reliability of either gear box and if there is much difference in reliability between either car (or at least known issues I should be aware of!).

Any advice from the forum would be greatly appreciated.. I need to make a decision over the next couple of weeks!

Exeos Vs Skoda - Automatics CVT Vs DSG - dieseldogg

Well then Libspero, you can answer a question for me?

Iffen you have always driven DSG's ( & think they are great) how have yours behaved when low speed manouvering on a slope, ours( A late 2010 1.6 diesel dry 7 speed DSG Octavia) "cuts out" ie disengages the clutch pack when on a light throttle & allows the car to run back (or indeed forward, depending) without any warning whatsoever.

I have been told by the dealer & Skoda UK............................thats how they are designed Sir.........to protect the clutch pack etc etc.

Thanks in anticipation.

PS I know nowt about the Audi CVT

Edited by dieseldogg on 15/12/2011 at 09:19

Hi Diesel Dogg,

I have previously used the DSG in a Passat and an Audi A3.

WRT low speed manouvreing on a slope.. I can't say it's something I do especially often or that I have noticed any major issues.

The only thing I can think you might mean is that if you pull up to some lights on a slope and stop, the car will sometimes drop back a bit when you release the brake to move off.

In that case I use the hand brake. Is that what you mean? I've never had any other issues with the clutch 'disengaging'.

DD.. a further thought:

If this is the same problem you are having, consider ~(for your next car) a model with an automatic handbrake. I had this on the Passat and from memory if you engage the hill-start buttom as a matter of routine it completely gets away from this problem. Also means you don't have to "sit on the brake" when you are stationary :)

Exeos Vs Skoda - Automatics CVT Vs DSG - Collos25

Do not forget there is a new Octavia on the way the Seat is a poor Audi copy if its a company car go for the real thing.

Thanks Collos,

I'll bear that in mind. The A4 comes in at around £5k more on the nearly new market which would push me over budget. I'll probably go for the Skoda if I'm not confident with the Seat.

libspero,

I was perhaps not clear in my explanation.

we were parked, facing uphill, on a sloping street ( Captain St in Coleraine) another vehicle then parked a bit close in front of us.

When I attempted to manouver my way out, ( & I have the "hill holder" parking brake), with only my right foot on the throttle, attempting to limit my speed & creep out, the clutch pack disengaged and allowed the car to freely run back. Prior to this the clutch pack had engaged & the car had been moving forward, however briefly.

I then instinivitely braked.

I replicated this behavouir on the roadway once out of the space, on a light throttle opening after forward (or rearward) movement had commenced, the managment unit decides the engine revs are insufficient & disengages the clutch.

I can only presume due to some imperceptible ( to me leastwise) reduction in throttle input.

However there is not the slightest sense of the engine labouring or being ready to stall.

This also happened on the wee slope adjacent to the Portrush Harbour when sitting in a queue of traffic, handbrake applied, handbrake off, attempted to proceed forward, and ran back!!!!!!!!!!!!!, until I braked.

Very frustrating.

Edited by dieseldogg on 15/12/2011 at 10:53

Hi DD,

Not sure what else to suggest.. Coleraine must be a bit more hilly than Warrington.. I can't say I've had the same problem! Once mine is moving it's moving. Out of interest I will see whether I can get my A3 to do it and report back.

I will presume from the deafening silence that there are no strong feelings either way between the Multitronic and DSG transmissions. My experience of the Multitronic on the test drive was that (despite being very smooth), it didn't feel "nippy" like the DSG.. it felt like it wasn't putting the full power to the wheels.. a bit sluggish and lazy.

I think I could live with the "old man" transmission provided it doesn't drink fuel or break down after 100k miles..

Exeos Vs Skoda - Automatics CVT Vs DSG - Jethro

Hi DD.

I to have experienced DSG 7 speed clutch disengaging while on a steep hill in the Lake district. Pulling over on a very steep and narrow road to let other cars past holding the car on the foot brake for afew seconds. As fast as it takes to swop the foot from the brake to the accelerator the car had started to roll back. This was the last thing i expected due to us having an Auto Vectra that never rolls back.

What with the hesitancy of the gearbox at road junctions, and the rolling back on hills, I'm slowly having second thoughts about the DSG.

Cheers Jethro.

Exeos Vs Skoda - Automatics CVT Vs DSG - Avant

Libspero, I can tell you as a moderator that it isn't in the least bad form to ask a question in your first post. That's part of what the forum is here for, and you're most welcome. People are happy to give advice - or indeed ask questions in return - and we appreciatre it when the original poster comes back and tells us how they got on with their query or problem.

I have an Octavia vRS with DSG which I find excellent: mine has the 6-speed 'wet clutch' which doesn't exhibit the problems with low-speed manoeuvring that Dieseldogg and others have found. Mine is a petrol but I'm fairly sure that the 2.0 TDI that you're looking for has the same 6-speed DSG.

I've had CVT / Multitronic in an Audi A4 Avant 2.5 TDI (where it worked very well as the V6 engine was quiet) and a Mercedes B200 CDI (where it worked OK but coupled with the very noisy 4-cylinder diesel engine, the resuit was an intolerably loud drone, particularly under acceleration where a CVT needs to rev more than a DSG or a conventional automatic.

You should test-drive both, but I think you'll end up choosing the Octavia. The Octavia is also much more roomy than the Exeo. If you can, go for the 170 bhp common-rail diesel, although the 140 bhp version is quite adequate. Avoid the earlier 2.0 PD diesel engine; the 1.9 is reliable but naturally slower.

Thanks Avant,

Good to hear from someone who has experience of both. I like the idea of the 170BHP Octavia (comparable economy and a bit more 'poke') but note that it is only available on the vRS model. I guess moving to a sports model might bump up the insurance a bit, plus I wonder whether the stiffened suspension would make regular long journeys a bit uncomfortable.. how do you find yours?

Erm, actually & intended quite civilly, despite what Avent is suggesting above, do NOT rule out the humble 1.6 diesel @105BHP, simply because in my experience over 25,000 miles ( & dispite b****ing about the low speed manouvering issue, which I hope is NOT a "characterstic") this engine is well suited to the DSG, I do mostly travel alone and this area is NOT hilly or steep, except for the odd wee short sharp slope.

Running fully loaded or in the Yorkshire Dales/Pennines it may not be so satisfactory.

Cheers

Marcus

Exeos Vs Skoda - Automatics CVT Vs DSG - keith40

Hi, i currently drive a superb 170 Tdi DSG and its a fantastic gear box i aslo have driven the exeo 140 tdi CVT in spain for two week and they are very different the gear changes are slow the kick down is unpredicrible and under exceleration for entering motor ways is very noisy and the fuel consuption is not as good as the dsg

if you go for the skoda try to get deisel CR 140 BHP or if you can afford VRS then the 170 CR desiel is very good

both cars have classy interiors the skoda uses more modern technology for in car entertainment and heat and vetilation the Seat uses old style audi kit but it works well i personal would try to get the Octavis L&K or elegance they have the best kit for the money.

hope this help keith

Exeos Vs Skoda - Automatics CVT Vs DSG - gordonbennet

I didn't comment on this thread earlier as i have no personal experience of ownership of automatic VAG cars, though i've driven and delivered hundreds.

The reason i've never owned one is because i rarely buy cars still under makers warranty, or if i do it's nearly out, i wouldn't want an automated manual no matter how may clutches its got, the poor junction and manoeuvering performance of all AM's is a penalty i'm not prepared to pay, nor am i prepared to pay the extortionate costs of repairing the type as they age.

People i know who have owned auto Audi's in particular have had some eye watering bills for repair and overhaul work on their auto boxes, whether the newe DSG boxes will be any better long term i don't know.

The CVT box i'm not sure if i've driven, and i haven't a clue about it's long term durability, is it a stock box previously used by some other name in other VAG cars or is it something new?

I'd be prepared to risk the CVT if its smooth at low speeds, junctions and close manoeuvers, but only if i was certain that i wouldn't own it out of makers warranty.

You couldn't give me a DSG or any other auto clutched manual.

Note by the way how VW group haven't increased their warranties in line with other makers.