Ford Focus v Volvo S40 - which to choose? - Dingle232

Having agonised over a new (2nd hand new that is) car for a few months I have to make a choice this week betrween a 59 plate Focus 1.8 TDci and a 58 plate Volvo S40 2.0D S.

I like the way they both drive, the Focus probably having the edge in terms of excitement (let's face it you'd never call a Volvo exciting would you?) but the S40 feels like a solid motor that you could run forever. Both have approx 28k miles and are immaculate.

Anyone have a view on the better motor? And any particular known issues I need to look out for with either car?

As a slight aside I know the 1.8 variant in the Focus has been around for years but do Volvo make their own diesels or buy them in? Are they any good?

Thanks in advance

Ford Focus v Volvo S40 - which to choose? - S40 Man

I have a MkII S40 (2.0D) 54 reg and my wife has 1.6TDCi Focus 55reg (estate)

Focus

good points

1.6 TDCi very economical

Hard wearing interior

5* safety

Bad points

Down on power at very low revs so can bog down puling out of a junction. Can be a bit scary or you decide a 1/2 or 3/4 gap isn't woth the risk (would be OK in 2.0D volvo) engine OK once up to speed (2500+revs)

Bad MW radio

Only 5 gears

Volvo

good points

Decent power delivery through rev range

Very nice interior (comfy seats, nice sound)

Decent comfy ride

6 speed and 5* safety too

Bad points

Not as economical as 1.6D

I had some niggly electrical issues (DPF pressure sensor, alternator, key holder but i'm on mega mileage 172,000)

========

Both are on same chasis and get the same engines Volvo either 1.6 or 2.0D both are FORD PSA based units

Here's my take if you spend a lot of time in your car the Volvo has nicer interior and comfier ride (imo)

If you prefer focus and dive on fun roads go for that

Hope that helps

Ford Focus v Volvo S40 - which to choose? - Dingle232

That's great thanks. Which would you say, on balance, is the better car to drive in a mix of urban/Motorway on a 50/50 basis?

It's personal choice, I don't mind driving either. I think the S40 is more stylish/prestigous and less common but underneath they are the same car. The hatch os more practical than saloon.

Apart from the bogging down when setting of the 1.6 is perfectly acceptable. You can get the Focus or S40 with either 1.6 or 2.0

Maybe decide on which model S40 or Focus then decide on engine

Checking the HJ car by car figures

1.6 TDCi Focus 64.2mpg 0.60 11 or 12 sec

1.8 TDCI 54 mpg 0-60 10.8 sec

2.0 TDCi 51 mpg 0.60 9.4 sec

On that basis the 1.8 doesn't have much better economy than the 2.0 or better performance than 1.6 TDCi. I'd go one way or the other and avoid 1.8TDCi. I don't know if its the same engine but we used to have a Mk1 focus and that had a 1.8TDCi so it may well be an older engine design anyway.

Ford Focus v Volvo S40 - which to choose? - drogers

Had two focus's from new

1.8TDCi paid £1952 repair bill for fault garage were NEVER able to find sold car back to Ford dealer who sold it to auctio

bought 1.8Petol again reached 20 miles and this bill is almost £1000 with one for £400 in May

Volve or Ford

Obviously VOLVO

Ford Focus v Volvo S40 - which to choose? - barney100

If you intend keeping the car for a while then the Volvo would seem a better bet. If a short term is the thing then look at depreciation. On the face of it the Ford would seem cheaper to run but good indies keep bills down anyway. I run a V70 2003 2.4 diesel and its been reasonable to own and it scores heavily on durability. Volvos are never exciting? They have produced some really quick cars over the years, T50 was it, they used to leave Porshe owners bemused at the traffic light starting grid.

Ford Focus v Volvo S40 - which to choose? - jacks

I have an S40 Volvo, the 2.0D 10 reg (on lease)

I've done about 28K miles with no problems and I'm very pleased with the car.

As already stated the engine is a PSA unit to be found in many Ford, Citroen, Peugeot and Mazda vehicles but if you intend to take the car over 72K miles be advised that the DPF needs renewing at this mileage and the cost is > £1000 at the dealer.

I don't know about the Focus 1.8 tdci engine - it may have the same filter for all I know but it is potentially a big bill to watch out for.

It seems this type of filter was rushed in to meet the Euro 1V because I see from the HJ review section that from late 2010 Volvo have now managed to replace the (renewable) DPF with a catalyzed filter which does not need cleaning or replacing.

J

Edited by jacks on 13/12/2011 at 12:09

Ford Focus v Volvo S40 - which to choose? - MikeTorque

The Focus 1.6 TDCi on a 59 plate doesn't get bogged down as per earlier versions. Ford upgraded the engine management system and fixed that problem. Expect motorway economy to be between 65 to 70 mpg at legal speeds.

The Focus 1.8 TDCi engine has a tendancy to try to stall when pulling away from low revs, higher milage engines from 25k onwards are better but not as sweet as the 1.6 TDCi. Expect motorway economy to me around 64mpg at legal speeds.

The Volvo 2.0 has a good spread of torque and pulls well whatever the revs, less economy that the Focus, comfort levels are good and it's a nice car to drive.

It comes down to personal taste really, whichever you like the most go for that one.

The Focus 1.6 TDCi on a 59 plate doesn't get bogged down as per earlier versions. Ford upgraded the engine management system and fixed that problem.

Do you happen to know if Ford can do this as a retro fit?

That would really improve my wife's car aroud town.