Hyundai i10 - faint whirring noise audible when engine idling - notahope

My daughter has a Hyundai i10 on a 59 plate and when the engine is idling there is an intermittent whirring noise (rather like an electric motor running) which I cannot trace having considered all the likely things it could be.

Would be grateful if anyone has come across this and if so what causes the noise.

Many thanks.

Hyundai i10 - faint whirring noise audible when engine idling - elekie&a/c doctor

Does this car have electric power steering?That would sound like a motor whirring noise.hth

Hyundai i10 - faint whirring noise audible when engine idling - Richyjwrich

It may well be the self levelling headlight adjuster. A common fault which is well known by Hyundai and covered by warranty.

Hyundai i10 - faint whirring noise audible when engine idling - gordonbennet

aircon?

Hyundai i10 - faint whirring noise audible when engine idling - busman19

My daughter has a Hyundai i10 on a 59 plate and when the engine is idling there is an intermittent whirring noise (rather like an electric motor running) which I cannot trace having considered all the likely things it could be.

Would be grateful if anyone has come across this and if so what causes the noise.

Many thanks.

Having owned 2 - i10's now and they both made the same intermittent whirring noise, noticeable when standing still with the engine ticking over, I think it could be the fuel pump. The noise is not dissimilar in character to my old Morris Minor I owned several years ago - on the otherhand !!!

Hyundai i10 - faint whirring noise audible when engine idling - Shef

Try listening very closely to the headlights, it may be the height adjusters operating. The cabin switch is kown to be susceptible to intermittent undemanded operation.

Hyundai i10 - faint whirring noise audible when engine idling - Doc

It is the self levelling headlight adjuster.

This was the subject of a recall. Contact your local Hyundai dealer.

Hyundai i10 - faint whirring noise audible when engine idling - Shef

When was the recall please? I spent a couple of weeks hunting this down in April this year and told the garage when it went in for its service. That's when they said "Oh we know what that is, it's the switch". They replaced it FOC under warranty.