ford mondeo 2001 (y) 1.8lx 113000miles - 2001 mondeo - not starting - clicking only - neiljules

Evening all..... I pretty much know where this is going but will ask anyway. For the last 3 weeks my Mondeo has been locking itself whilst driving and not unlocking the boot with the rest of the doors.. Yesterday we cleaned it as we are thinking of selling it and when I went to put it away it would not start and just gave a rapid clicking.. After a couple of attempts it started but tonight when I got back and tried it it has the same clicking but will not start... Any ideas thet dont involve the words Starter and Motor would be greatly appreciated. The door locks are probably just coincidence but could this be a battery issue??

ford mondeo 2001 (y) 1.8lx 113000miles - 2001 mondeo - not starting - clicking only - Big John

At this time of year when it is getting colder this is probably battery related. If you have a dodgy battery they usually give up the ghost on the first frost!

Try using jump lead from another car - if it starts then probably the battery . Before you replace it test the voltage of the battery with the engine running. If not well over 12v (usually 13+) then the alternator may be suspect instead.

ford mondeo 2001 (y) 1.8lx 113000miles - 2001 mondeo - not starting - clicking only - neiljules

thankyou,, managed a jumpstart first time but now it is over revving... resetting the ecu? seems to be the advice online, so i will try that next if advisable?