Mazda 6 - Mazda 6 - are problems gone with 2.2D engine - fago

I've had the hardship of having the complete failure of a 2.0 TD engine in a 2003 Mazda 6.

The car's been pretty problem free since with a new engine, but is getting up in mileage.

I'm looking at upgrading, and looking at estates at the moment. I was wondering were the problems with this engine sorted with the 2.2D engine which appeared about 2008.

Is this a completely new engine - with its own issues, or a upgraded version of the 2.0 engine.

thanks

Mazda 6 - Mazda 6 - are problems gone with 2.2D engine - gordonbennet

Maybe too soon to know if all is safe, still under makers warranty for what it's worth.

If twer me i'd base my choice of whether to stay with the make with how they sorted out the problem, did they stump up for a new engine with no fuss courtesy car etc, or was it a case of fighting tooth and nail and still nothing but excuses.

Mazda 6 - Mazda 6 - are problems gone with 2.2D engine - Med

Hi,

It is true that its still too soon to know but i have not heard that many problems with it, there have been a few come through but not as many as the 2.0d.

From what i understand, the difference is what the DPF system is made of i.e. the new 2.2d has a ceramic based DPF unit which means it does not have to reach such high temperatures than the 2.0d, they have also sorted out the open/closed looping systems where again i believe the computer is a lot more sensitive on the injection of RAW diesel and monitoring of oil dilution.

In my opinion, even though the complaints are small at the moment, this will pick up.

I am still amazed that dealers are not warning the customers before they buy a car thats got a DPF fitted.

Mehdi
www.mazda-campaign.co.uk