Peugeot 406 HDi (110) 200 X reg - 406 Gremlins / Not Starting - froojam

Hi All,

My Old man borrowed the keys to my 406 last weekend, gave him the spare rather than the plip, and after driving 20 miles, stopping (engine off) to hitch a trailer, starting, driving 150 yds or so and stopping again to load up, car would then not restart.

Thinking it might be the key/immobiliser I went with the plip key and locked/unlocked with plip before trying to start but still no joy.

On first attempt it almost fires then after that just a lot of effort but no ignition. It's been recently overhauled (suspension etc) and MOT'd so don't want to just bin it. And the only other issue it has had has been an gremlin with the passenger side indicator. It's on at start up (with the indicator stalk in the off position) and comes on intermittenly when driving. Turning the indicator on then off cancels the problem.

Might not be related but if anyone has any ideas how to resolve the above before I sink any more of my hard earned into my local garage that would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Peugeot 406 HDi (110) 200 X reg - 406 Gremlins / Not Starting - Peter.N.

Its possible that the in tank fuel pump has failed, listen carefully when you turn on the ignition, you should hear it run for a few seconds. If that's the problem I think you can get them for quite a reasonable price on ebay.

Peugeot 406 HDi (110) 200 X reg - 406 Gremlins / Not Starting - froojam

Thanks, I'd read elsewhere that that could be the problem although I'd have thought it would stutter when driving first rather than just fail out right but maybe not.

Read elsewhere too that replacing it involves drilling out the old one, hope not but will have a play this weekend and see where we get to.

Cheers.

Peugeot 406 HDi (110) 200 X reg - 406 Gremlins / Not Starting - Peter.N.

These pumps can become intermittent and kept going by mechanical vibration when the car is running, if its not running try tapping the top of the cover in the fuel tank, probably accessed from under the rear seat.