Nissan Almera - Almera Gearbox - CS5

The Nissan Almera 1.5 S, N16 petrol is a well designed strong motor together with a strong trouble free manual gearbox. I have worked as a trained mechanic for 25 years in a main Nissan dealership. Many people don't realise that you need to change the gear box oil every 50 - 70,ooo miles. The N16 Almera has a oil filler plug on the front face of the gearbox which becomes seized from metallic corrosion over time and needs to be opened every 2-3 years, (smear copper grease on the thread when you get it off) other wise the 10mm plug will become seized for life. We have many cars in where it's seized beyond repair, due to lack of maintenance. A tip we use in the workshop is to heat the g/bx casing carerfully with a hot air gun, to expand the thread, to assist it's undoing) be careful however to heat everything gently. Remember to Torque the plugs to the correct settings as these are vital seals: 35nm Filler plug, / 29nm Drain plug.

The gearbox oil is relatively cheap to purchase. You will need 2.3ltr. about £30. Nissan don't specifiy a service interval for this oil, though Toyoto recommend changing the oil at 70k. The Nissan gear box oil needs changing as the viscosity is worn down over miles of driving and will eventually wear out the gearbox bearings. This leads to failure of the gearbox. If the oil is changed every 50 - 70k the manuakl gear box will be smooth with syncro gear changing and will last 200 k or more.

Nissan Almera - Almera Gearbox - redthemusiclover
Thank you for that. Does this advice also apply to the Almera Tino?
Nissan Almera - Almera Gearbox - Almera 1.5 2000

I just changed my gearbox oil and bought 3 litres expecting that to be just enough as that's what it says in the manual - but there still seems to be quite a lot of space between the filler plug and the top of the oil level - can't reach it with my finger.

Would you buy more oil and fill it to the level of the filler plug or go with the 3l as specified in the manual?

Nissan Almera - Almera Gearbox - thedivvy

I know this is an old post but the information is useful to others.

Never overfill gear oil it has a large expansion ratio from cold to hot. If you put in more than you're supposed to it can expand to fill the gearbox and then it'll cause untold damage, hence the reason for the space.

Nissan Almera - Almera Gearbox - Cyd

The advice to change the oil applies to any gearbox IMO. Have just changed the fluid in my Saabs F40 'box to Redline MTL at 53k. The stuff that came out looked and smelled like it might have overheated. Anyway - it made a considerable improvement in shifting.

Nissan Almera - Almera Gearbox - gordonbennet

Agree with Cyd, whether manual or auto you can tell the difference in gearchange immediately, and nearly all cars can be so serviced by any competent home mechanic.

One of the posters above mentions oil still not up to the level, you have to be extremely careful and use make specific forums if you can't find a proper workshop manual..

case in point, daughters Civic 2.0 s has three plugs on the gearbox, one to drain one to fill and the tiny well hidden one in the middle is the level plug.