Volkswagen Polo IV - Misfire - adidas

Dear all

I wonder if you can help me with my car problem. I noticed that when accelerating the car makes a noise like the engine ticking over/'whooshy' if that makes sense. And becomes faster as I accelerate. Present only when accelerating even when parked up. Don't think this sound was there before. Second thing is that when I'm on the motorway and driving at high revs, for a prolonged period, hour or so, it can misfire/judder when driving. Around this time I notice the car struggle a little/it becomes more difficult to accelerate. Feels like I'm not getting as much power as before. This only happens once during my drive (I usually ease off) and it settles down. No lights come on.

Other car facts: 2007, 57 plate, 20,000 miles, problem started maybe about 2,000 miles ago. Last serviced at 13,500 and has FSH. Took it to the garage today who felt the engine noise was normal. Noticed a loud starter motor, but this would not account for the misfires. They ran diagnostics but no problem was found.

I had a Corsa which at 60,000 began misfiring similarly, but I did notice the dashboard light come on, but no fault recorded. Took it to various places and no-one could tell me what was wrong. They said I could go through replacing random parts but no guarantee that would fix the problem. Eventually, head gasket went. I worry that I'm developing a similar problem, I know it's a different situation but still on my mind. I wonder if anyone would be so kind enough as to offer me their thoughts please.

Thanks

Volkswagen Polo IV - Misfire - 1litregolfeater

Have you tried changing the oil / putting some in it