VW electric windows - borasport20
I opened the passenger side window on the way home from work, and when i wound it up again, it stopped an inch short of closed.

I tried to shut it again several times using the switches on both doors, and by manually pushing, but it wouldn't have it (just what you want in tesco's car park with a car full of christmas presents)

20 minutes later,pressed the switch and it shut (phew !)

(1) will someone tell me its a known problem and is solved by replacing fuse 3 with a champion NG9Y or adding redex to the washer bottle, because I really don't want to get into taking the door trim off.

I'll do brakes, clutched, engines, but trim just intimidates me. i just have to look at a trim clip and it breaks apart, everything bends, and the final result looks like it was reassembled by a visually impaired drunkard

Failing (1) above, can anybody give me any clues for getting the door trim off the Bora ?

ta

I have to grow old - but I don't have to grow up
VW electric windows - bertj
This is a very long shot - I had a Skoda Octavia with electric windows (probably the same as VW). The passenger window did exactly as you describe in your Bora. In the car instruction book there were details about re-synchronising the windows. I'm afraid I can't remember them but I think it involved holding the key in the lock for a certain time (Do your windows all close if you hold the key in the locked position in the driver's door lock?)
Electric windows are sometimes fitted with thermal re-settable fuses - if the motor is overloaded because the window is very stiff or even stuck, the fuse opens but resets itself when things cool down; check that the window moves easily. You can get PTFE spray for the runners.
Probably no help, but you never know!

VW door trims come off fairly easily. You should find a couple of large screws inside the door closing pull handle - the problem is getting the capping trim off the door handle; use a very rounded screwdriver (not sharp!) at the join lines to lever it off. Undo these two recessed screws. There may be other small cross head screws at the bottom of the door trim (underneath). There's sometimes one by the door mirror housing. Make sure you get all the screws out then prise the trim off starting at the bottom accompanied by terrifying sounds!, then push upwards to free the trim - make sure you don't break the locking button off. It's usually easier with the window wound down.
Best of luck!
VW electric windows - Mikey Jay
when a window fails to open or close,it is worth testing the appropriate relay. This can be done using a basic multi test meter. The relay is basically a switching device and loose or dirty contacts are common giving rise to intermittent problems. Check switches etc for continuity.
regards, Mike.
VW electric windows - borasport20
Thanks Bert & Mike

I'm just intimitated by the thought of taking the trim off - I always end up breaking clips or tearing fabric, and of course the old Haynes manual is never much use in this situation 'the trim may or may not be held in place by different means in different places on different models....' is what it boils down to.

I have to grow old - but I don't have to grow up
VW electric windows - Cyd
If the car has anti-trap windows, try the reseting proceedure. This will be detailed in the handbook. It could have been a bit of dirt or other foreign body setting the trap mechanism off until it eventually became dislodged.

If it does this intermittently then it's likely a loose connection or semi-broken wire on the anti-trap circuit. My Rovers LH RR window does exactly the same occasionally (though it will shut by over-riding the AT system - check to see if you can do that).
VW electric windows - AR-CoolC
Your right to not want to go into the door trim. Once you have the panel off you will be confronted with a Metal membrane.
But you have no need to.
Using the drivers door switches wind the passenger door to the top with the manual switch (1st click) hold at top for a few seconds, wind window to the bottom on manual (1st click) hold at bottom for a few seconds.

Easy job done.
VW electric windows - Mondaywoe
Hi

Don't know if this helps in the slightest, but my new C5 did something very similar. The driver's window would go to within an inch or so from the top and stop. Light 'dabs' on the switch would nudge it to the top then infuriatingly it would go down to the bottom again!

Phoned the dealer who simply told me to disconnect the battery for 10 seconds and reconnect. Then run all the windows down - then up again and HOLD the switch about 2-3 seconds. This re-initialised the system and since then everything has been hunkydory.

Please bear in mind, however, that the C5 is a very different beast - multiplexed electrics for a start. Also, DON'T disconnect the battery unless you know for sure that it won't wipe all the memories for the engine ECU etc. My dealer assured me that I would only have to reset the radio stations, clock and automatic wiper/ headlights (all detailed in the handbook)

Remember too that you will probably lose the radio code!!!

Good luck!

Graeme