Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiesta 1.4tdci owners - eddie c

I've just had a test drive in one and was quite impressed. I'm seriously considering taking the plunge on a 1-2yr old with up to 20k on the clock.

I've read many reviews, all largely positive and was wondering if any owners have any views which they may like to share which could affect my final decision?

Cheers in advance.

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiesta 1.4tdci owners - jamie745

I dont own one but i had one for a weekend recently

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=93245

I like it alot and im probably being harsh on it by describing the clutch as heavy, ive just gotten used to driving an automatic. What surprised me was how comfortable it felt at speed, my first car was one of the old Fiesta 1.1's and that felt like it was going to disintegrate on a dual carraigeway but the new ones are totally different (as you'd expect).

The 1.4TDCi is decent enough, the 1.6 is probably better without really compromising on economy. The Econetic is another option but thats very expensive for what it is, essentially its a 1.6TDCi tweaked a little to squeeze into VED band A, its a couple of inches lower and the gearing is a bit different so its hard to recommend really due to its price.

If you're comfortable with the questionable view out of the rear then i'd say go for it, i dont think you'll find any horror stories about them.

Edited by jamie745 on 12/11/2011 at 13:49

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiesta 1.4tdci owners - 996

Bought a new one in September 2010, rubbish dealer but 25000 milkes later no problems at all with the car, other than those liested below. Rear visability is fine, certainly better than the C4 coupe it replaced but then that wasnt hard. Feels good quality as well, solid enough and nothing has dropped off. Particulary impressed with the bluetooth mp3 stereo.

The 1.4 diesel is fine, keeps up with fast flowing traffic no problems, and will happily cruise at well above the motorway speed limit all day if you want it to. Feels very safe and solid at speed as well. However, if you want to accelerate from 40 or 50mph to overtake anything on an A road make sure you've a change of underwear first - its that slow to gather speed even in third with the turbo going.

Problems - other than the rubbish dealer I bought it from (Ive since found a better one) just the one - a clicking clutch pedal. Known fault apparantly, 2 dealer visits so far and still happening. Small fault but very annoying.

Would I buy another one? Yes but it would have to be the titanium, I have the zetec, and it kills my right leg on a long drive. Maybe its just me, but I cant get a comfortable poisition where my right leg is relaxed on the motorway. Around town its fine. Why a titanium? Comes with cruise control, which is apparantly impossible to retrofit to any lessor versions.

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiesta 1.4tdci owners - MikeTorque

How noisy is the 1.4 TDCi engine you drove ?

I drove one a couple of years ago (great MPG) but there was noticable lquite loud engine noise coming into the car. The 1.6 TDCi (95ps) is quiter when new but a friend of mine says his brothers is really noisy. The Econetic has a harder ride (due to sports suspension) at lower speed and over rough road surfaces. The 1.4 TDCi uses a passive DPF as does the 1.6 TDCi.

How does it compare with the 1.2 TDI engine in a VW Polo or Seat Ibiza ?

Edited by MikeTorque on 14/11/2011 at 15:33

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiesta 1.4tdci owners - injection doc

Having owned a 1.4TDCi from new for a few years, great car , then changing to a 1.6TDCi there is no comparison.

The 1.6 TDCi is so much more economical and soo much quieter on the road and pulls like a train. Forget the 1.4.

Our 1.6TDCi is now 4 years old , trouble free, except fan speed controller and returns 54 ish urban and 60-65mpg on runs.

Which model do you have ID ? Econetic, Zetec etc.
What is the ride quality like for the 1.6 TDCi ?
What size tyres & wheels do you have ?
How does the ride quality of the 1.6 TDCi compare with the 1.4 TDCi ?
Have you driven a Polo/Ibiza 1.2 TDI and if so how do they compare to the Fiesta 1.6 TDCi ?

Which model do you have ID ? Econetic, Zetec etc.
What is the ride quality like for the 1.6 TDCi ?
What size tyres & wheels do you have ?
How does the ride quality of the 1.6 TDCi compare with the 1.4 TDCi ?
Have you driven a Polo/Ibiza 1.2 TDI and if so how do they compare to the Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Hi Mike

We have the zetec model. Ride quality is very good for small car and quiet. Just has the standard alloys that were fitted on the z-tec model. It feels lot more solid & queit than the 1.4tdci

Polo very underpowered when we tried one compared with the Fiesta. I have to say the fiesta pulls so hard it could cope with a 6th gear and never understood why they didnt fit a six speed box.

You should find your answer here !

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/grouptests/254305/vw_polo_bluemotion_12_tdi.html

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiesta 1.4tdci owners - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

What can cause excessive engine noise on the Tdci engine is the air intake pipe -- it's in three sections from the front grill, past the fuel filter and behind the air filter -- it can only too easily come just a little bit loose behind the air filter, and by Gum, 'just a little bit loose' = 'very noisy'!

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiesta 1.4tdci owners - TeeCee

> it kills my right leg on a long drive.

Every Ford driver's seat made since they introduced their "anti submarine" seats I have ever had the displeasure to sit in has done that to me. I don't even bother evaluating Fords these days come car swap time as a result.

I find the best seats are in French cars, the Japanese and other far eastern marques are mostly OK and anything from Germany has seats designed by sadists. Then again, I find Opel passable...

My ideal car would be German with French seats in it. Shame nobody makes it.

I agree with teecee about the Merc seats. I had an E250 on a 59 plate and the seats were a killer. After 2.5 hrs in the saddle I used to be numb and would have to get out for a break which was a pain on a 6 hour journey, which usually meant 3 stops ! or two plus fuel stop ! Worst car I have ever had for comfort. Over-rated or what !

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiesta 1.4tdci owners - jamie745

Many German cars are like sitting on a slab of granite. You should give my S-Type or 406 a go, could drive from one end of Britain to the other in those and it'll feel like a short trip to the shops.

Mike

Just returned this afternoon from a 300 mile round trip in our Fiesta. I feel fine. I am also over 6ft, if I allow my slef to slide down in the seat yes my right legs aches , but if I sit up correctley as I have done today then no problem at all.

The 1.6 engine should be very very quiet. If its noisy somethings wrong. Its like chalk and cheese between the 1.4 & 1.6TDCi. I have also just returned 63.7 to day over 300 miles and that was brim to brim.

Jamie, my Jag was also great fro long Journeys, but my landrover I can drive all day with seats like arm chairs. I have actually driven 11.5 hrs 860 miles ! non stop towing with my L/R from the Med to calais in a day and stilled cooked tea when I got home !

Landrover beats every car I have ever owned for comfort.

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiesta 1.4tdci owners - Bobbin Threadbare

I did a Cheshire to Sellafield run in a 59 plate petrol Fiesta last year. Not bad at all, comfortwise. But then I am only 5ft 7. It was actually getting the Fiesta to go up hills that was the problem ;-)

My Mazda has good seats; no numb bum even after Perthshire to Lancashire non-stop run.

Thanks for the update ID, most helpful. I use to get more mpg on a run in my Focus 1.6 TDCi nothing less than 65mpg on a run often around 70+mpg on A roads etc. but much depends on the traffic and hills en-route so variations can be expected. I suspect I'd get even more with a Fiesta ECOnetic 1.6 TDCi and I like the sound of that engine and also the refinement over rough road surfaces, so a test drive is coming up.

The main concern is how good/poor the brakes are, on previous Fiesta petrol cars I've driven they weren't that solid and braking distances in the AE article show a significant difference in braking distances.

I get around 75mpg on an A/B road run in a Polo 1.2 TDI SE (not BlueMotion) and brim to brim with all sorts of driving 65 mpg is typical on a tank full. The seats are very comfortable in the Polo (an example that Germany cars can be comfortable) and a perfect driving position is easy to obtain.