PSA Diesels - 1.6 or 2.0 more reliable? - likerocks

Evening all. I just wanted to get the group consensus on the respective reliability of these two engines as fitted to the Focus II and Volvo S40 (amongst other cars).

At 5 years, 80,000 miles, there is little difference in purchase price between the two engine sizes in either model of car, although 2.0 volvos are more numerous than 1.6s, with the opposite trend in Focii. I've driven both engines in various cars and enjoy both experiences. The 1.6 is what I would call "fine" in performance terms, whereas the 2.0 is "plenty"!

From my experience the is little to choose in terms of refinement. Would I be right in thinking that there is a ballpark 10mpg difference between the two engines in every day use?

So basically it comes down to the likelihood of extra-ordinary running costs. I tend to hear more horror stories about the 1.6 than the 2.0. e.g. the sludging up issue - repetitive turbo failures caused by EGRs etc. Both have DMF and DPF but is one generally more troublesome than the other?

Opinions and personal experiences welcomed.......

PSA Diesels - 1.6 or 2.0 more reliable? - Armitage Shanks {p}

I had a 1.6 turbo 110 bhp in a 307 and it is going well at 8 years old and 80K miles. One breakdown and NO dpf problems beyong paying for the EOLYS top up at 70K miles. No short runs, get it hot and give it 10 mins over 2000rpm at least once a month, or is it 2500? I haven't had it for 2 years but it is in the family and knowm to me still.

PSA Diesels - 1.6 or 2.0 more reliable? - injection doc

There is a whole combination of issue's that appear to cause some sludging of the 1.6 psa engine casuing turbo failure,although its mostly in the Focus Model that the problem maifest's itself.

PSA Diesels - 1.6 or 2.0 more reliable? - cilvilservant

" Both have DMF and DPF".

Not true if you are talking about cars that are 5 years old.

PSA Diesels - 1.6 or 2.0 more reliable? - Paul G1pdc

HI. my brother in laws just sold his, bought when brand new and sold with 75,000 miles and 6 years down the line. his was a 2005 reg.

at 2006 they had dpf, that required a £800 service at approx 80,000miles.

pre 2005 non of that....

he did however have a few common faults....egr failure, and a few minor electrical niggles, ie front headlight washer failure. but apart from that did well as a family hack.

he averaged early 40s to the gallon and had it serviced by a volvo dealer from new.

sold 2 months ago for £6500 in autotrader his was fitted with cream leather etc etc...

PSA Diesels - 1.6 or 2.0 more reliable? - Paul G1pdc

SORRY... forgot to say brother in law had a 2005 v50 (volvo estate) 2litre

paul.

PSA Diesels - 1.6 or 2.0 more reliable? - thunderbird

Had a 1.6 TDCI in a Focus for 5 years, no problems at all but since it was Euro 3 it did not have a dpf or additive to wory about.

When we swapped the car decided to get the same again but fortunately decided to check about the additive mularky since it was new to us. Mr Ford said that a top up is required every 3 years or 36,000 miles due to problems with earlier cars running out, £100 a time. He also said that dpf replacement is now a service item at 6 years or 72,000 miles, £1000 approx.

Wisely we bought elsewhere but a real shame since the car had been so good..

PSA Diesels - 1.6 or 2.0 more reliable? - Viz

I have a 2009 1.6 TDCI Focus. It has now done 61,000 miles and just had a problem.

Some fuel pipes came off at the top of the engine and squirting diesel everywhere. It was repaired under warranty, however, the same problem occured again 3 weeks later.

Ford had the car for a week and diagnosed a faulty fuel pump, it had too much pressure.

This time the replaced the fuel pump.

I'll see how it goes this time !

It has been a good car until now, returning 57mpg, but has now left me unsure of its future reliability. Its also due the DPF replacement in a few months, I'm not sure I want to keep it that long now.

PSA Diesels - 1.6 or 2.0 more reliable? - Collos25

300,000km with 1.6hdi peugeot 407 sw only one problem cap on eloy tank came loose.

PSA Diesels - 1.6 or 2.0 more reliable? - Armitage Shanks {p}

SFAIK DPFs can be refurbished or flushed through, but the resulting polluted water may be illegal for anybody to dispose of.

PSA Diesels - 1.6 or 2.0 more reliable? - Bilboman

I've had a Focus 1.6 TDCi estate company car since April 2008. It disgraced itself on the second day with a leaking power steering pipe (I contacted HJ and the fault was flagged up: 28,000 cars affected by a faulty batch of pipes, replaced under warranty - eventually.) Otherwise fine but at the last service (60,000 miles) the dealer said to bring it in "soon" to replace DMF, which was nearing its end. Acceleration uphill in 1st is sluggish and has been getting steadily worse. Overall 47 mpg (fully laden with books and climate control mostly on for long journeys, not too many short round town trips). Generally happy with the car, good ride, soaks up bumps, well insulated from NVH, well equipped.

PSA Diesels - 1.6 or 2.0 more reliable? - likerocks

thanks all for your feedback - not sure what to make of it really. There seems to be plenty of people in both camps who have experienced good things, so maybe I just need to look for the best overall car I can get within budget.

PSA Diesels - 1.6 or 2.0 more reliable? - Viz

On the plus side, my Focus 1.6TDCI is currently doing 60mpg

PSA Diesels - 1.6 or 2.0 more reliable? - autumnboy

Had a 1.6 psa engine in C4 Grand Picasso at 65k, with no problems of any kind. Great lively engine for a diesel and found the 2.0 alittle sluggish in city driving.