Ford Fiesta mk4 - Best way to sort out rust - mss1tw

I am hoping to have an old 1996 Fiesta passed on soon, the mechanicals are still fine as it has been looked after but the rear arches and sills are starting to let go a bit.

I would like to spend a little (£300?) getting this sorted out so I can get a few years cheap motoring out of the car as I know its history compared to some old grotbox off eBay.

If I leave it it will just get worse quicker.

I was just after an ideas of costs/work involved etc! Is it worth prepping the car myself?

Ford Fiesta mk4 - Best way to sort out rust - oldroverboy

try your local independant bach street body shop, here I have just had a wing hammered out, rustproofed and painted for £140, might sound a lot but to get to wing, headlight out, wheel off and wheel arch liner stripped and replaced, so quite good value, but if you car will pass an mot just do the minimum, go and see your friendly local guys, and see if they will let you "strip" the car before it goes to them, just put the nuts and bolts safe.

yes, i am in wales but meant back street bodyshop................

Edited by OldRoverboy on 05/11/2011 at 20:13

Thanks ORB, that's not a bad price at all!

Ford Fiesta mk4 - Best way to sort out rust - bathtub tom

I'd add, if you don't know what you're doing, then don't!

I know my limits, I'm OK with a set of spanners but paint and metal work?

Just say no!

Ford Fiesta mk4 - Best way to sort out rust - jamie745

It'll be nice if you can get that motor nicely cleaned up. Always liked the mk4 Fiesta.

I had one as my first car too, so it will be kind of nice to own one again :-D

It's the 1.8 diesel but I've always found it fairly good for what it is despite what you read online.

I've got a motorbike for fun, haven't had a car for years. Right now fun to me involves a roof, to hell with the 0 - 60 time!