Put something in your profiles! - Dave_TD
Come on guys (and girls!), so many of you don't have a viewable profile. I understand the need to avoid divulging any information that could be misused, but it would be nice to have a little bit of background information to help conjure up a better picture of each oher, wouldn't it? :-)
Put something in your profiles! - Jonathan {p}
Dave

The problem is that, even with the slimmest of information it is now possible to gleam a much greater amount. This includes very personal information like address, telephone number, names of other family members etc.
Put something in your profiles! - borasport20
Dave
The problem is that, even with the slimmest of information it
is now possible to gleam a much greater amount. This
includes very personal information like address, telephone number, names of other
family members etc.

I think your being more than a touch paranoid jonathan.
look at dave-t-d's profile - you see only what he chooses to tell you. Given that he is using a hotmail adddress, there is precious little you can find out from that

Where's the harm in saying 'I drive one of these' or 'I do such and such for a living'. none whatsover
I have to grow old - but I don't have to grow up
Put something in your profiles! - Stephen
I agree that one wants to be careful about how much one gives away.
But to reassure you, you can leave your Real Name, Website, ICQ, Messenger etc. blank.

Also leave unchecked : "Display my email address in my profile" to make sure that your email address is not shown in your profile.

So no need for hotmail accounts or whatever to stay anonymous.

I have also increased the size of the field for "About me" so you can write a bit more about yourself. But please not a whole essay!

----------------------------------
Stephen Khoo
www.khoosys.net
Put something in your profiles! - HF
Just for you, K, I have created a profile for myself, which I'm sure will give a much clearer picture of me ;
HF
Put something in your profiles! - volvoman
I'll be checking that for accuracy HF !!!!! ;-)
It's very accurate Volvo, I can assure you ;)
Put something in your profiles! - volvod5_dude
Dave,

I have put some detail in but I'm not prepared to identify the real me!

Cheers

VD5D
Put something in your profiles! - Steve S
Agree with Dave - you can get enough in without giving too much away. Makes it interesting.
Put something in your profiles! - Dynamic Dave
DTD,

There's a huge thread lurking somewhere in the backroom that people contributed to a little while ago regarding profiles.
Put something in your profiles! - John R @ Work {P}
A asked this awhile ago in...

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=i&t=72...5

Seems most people are still not willing to tell us who they really are, (it is up to them though, I suppose...)

John R
Put something in your profiles! - Shigg
No sooner said than done, I think we'll all regret this though...
Put something in your profiles! - eMBe {P}
How about going one step further and posting your photo on
"backroom photos" as lsited in HJ's FAQ? Some backroomers. including Mark(RLBS), Growler and Growlette are already on there.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/redirect.php?communities.msn....n

As for me, I am unable to give out any personal info.
Put something in your profiles! - Phil I
Not on the FBI's Most Wanted List I trust.:-))

Happy Motoring Phil I
A bit puzzled by your profile...
Do you mean an Armstrong-Siddeley (as in Motor)
or Armatage Shanks (as in ceramic/cast iron bathroom furniture)?
(Allegedly...)
John R
Put something in your profiles! - eric's son
tedious. But then that's me. So I suppose it is a decent profile really!
Put something in your profiles! - eric's son
aaaah! I meant "my profile is" tedious
hope I didn't offend anyone
time to go home
Sorry, my post was aimed at Phil.

(Allegedly...)
John R
Put something in your profiles! - andymc {P}
OK, I'm in - FWIW!
Put something in your profiles! - drbe
Dave
Sorry, but where are the profiles posted/shown?
Nice and busy this week, I trust?
drbe Don
Put something in your profiles! - Mark (RLBS)
If you mean your own profile, then its under "My Settings" on the menu to your right.

If you mean someone else's, then click on their username on any note they've written.
Put something in your profiles! - Tomo
Not too much there though.....

Tomo
Put something in your profiles! - volvoman
But I don't want anyone to know that my real name's Tim, that I live in Orpington with my wife and 2 kids, that I drive a Volvo and that in previous lives I've been a Land Surveyor, Money Broker and CV consultant and and am now semi (85% really) retired. That information is highly confidential and I'd hate anyone to misuse it so I'm keeping quiet !!
Put something in your profiles! - drbe
right Dave I have now entered something in my profile, I do hope you like it. perhaps we should compare notes sometime.
drbe, Don.
Put something in your profiles! - borasport20
I look at people's profiles 'cos i'm curious about them - I think we all like to know who we're talking to0

over the past few days, i've been browsing from home using the old clockwork modem on the internet footpath rather than the superfast connection from work, and it's quite irritating to try and view a profile and find that it 'can't be viewed' because that can actually be quite slow

is there some way of the real back-room boys making it easy to distinguish viewable and unviewable profiles ?

just a thought

I have to grow old - but I don't have to grow up
Put something in your profiles! - banger
Have just joined this message board today. Was not going to put anything in my profile. Since reading this thread will fill mine in. Hope your all happy out their.
Put something in your profiles! - Stephen
is there some way of the real back-room boys making it
easy to distinguish viewable and unviewable profiles ?

This would be nice, but it involves joining the post table to the user table when displaying the thread as the user table contains the info on which profile is viewable etc. The only reason we haven't done this is to prevent an otherwise unnessessary table join and so lose a bit of performance.
However, we can run some tests and see what difference it makes, and if it isn't much, only put links on those users who have viewable profiles.

Alternatively we could just leave them all as they are but add other info on the profile screen such as:
- date of last post
- topic of last post
- number of posts made
- date signed up etc.
i.e. this info might be of interest to some folk anyway.
----------------------------------
Stephen Khoo
www.khoosys.net
>> is there some way of the real back-room boys making
it
>> easy to distinguish viewable and unviewable profiles ?

As a BR female, not sure if any comments will be welcome!
Alternatively we could just leave them all as they are but
add other info on the profile screen such as:
- date of last post
- topic of last post
- number of posts made
- date signed up etc.
i.e. this info might be of interest to some folk anyway.

This sounds ok, IMHO, and surely if people want more info/chat with each other then they can just email each other. If someone has no email addy shown, but you would like to communicate with them, then you only need to ask, surely?! Been there, done that, once or twice with absolutely no regrets, but that doesn't mean I'd necessarily want my address there for all and sundry (and I don't mean the site's regulars) there to see.
HF
PS Banger, welcome!
HF
HF, thanks!
Banger
Put something in your profiles! - Dizzy {P}
Still not enough backroomers putting up their profiles, even after Dtd's prompting! It would be nice to know just a teeny bit about the everyday lives of the virtual friends on this forum that we communicate with every day.

Can you imagine meeting up daily with a regular at your pub or club and not having a clue as to the work they do (or don't do) or their interests, etc.?

BTW, my profile included my email address until recently and I had no problems with this. However I found that Stephen excludes his own address so I assumed that there must be a down side and I removed mine. I agree with HF that it's easy to ask for an email address if the profile doesn't contain one.

Well said Dizzy,
A lot of board's won't let you post emails and web addresses. As you can on this one, might as well leave mine off.
Will supply if prompted
Exactly!

I guess if your address is a hotmail address it makes it a bit easier to leave it lying around in public places - but if not, then it's as well to be careful.

Banger I would imagine, over time, there will be people that you maybe want to talk in greater depth about something with here, or even to talk about something completely off-topic. That's when it can be good to email.

Not trying to discourage people from putting email addies in their profiles, at all, and like I said I think probably hotmail/yahoo kind of addresses are safe. The one I use happens not to be one of these, and therefore I am a little wary of who gets to know it - only a very select few will ever know it ;)
HF