Its Dark!!! - jamie745

Getting dark around 4pm

Schools going back

Cold and rain on its way

Cyclists forced back into their X5's for winter

Children forced to stay inside

Yep. Life is good.

Its Dark!!! - Bromptonaut

Not this cyclist; the Brompton's an all weather machine. And yes it does have lights.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 30/10/2011 at 17:01

Its Dark!!! - jamie745

Do you have one of them lights on your helmet? Saw one the other day and it made him look quite an odd fellow.

This might scandalise a motoring forum but I don't wear a helmet.

Cycling is slightly more risky than walking sober but considerably safer than walking half cut. I don't wear a helmet to come home from the pub and I don't wear one for normal cycling.

If I raced, or did downhill MTB, I might feel different but on the Brompton in London, the tourer round home or the MTB on trails I can't be bothered.

Lights are on the bars and onn the rear rack. A flashing rear on a backpack can improve visibility. Flashing fronts draw attention but make judging speed and relative movement difficult.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 30/10/2011 at 17:29

Its Dark!!! - jamie745

Its up to you if you wear a helmet or not but i do want it understood that if i run into you and you die as a result of not wearing one that its your fault and not mine.

If you run into me and it's your fault then you are responsible. Your lawyers can claim contributory negligence. Mine, with the CTC behind them, will put the alternative point.

However, in most vehicle/cyclist collisions a helmet won't help. Thjey're actually pretty fragile things whose design limit is impact with the road at no more than 12mph. Death is from traumatic injuries sustained in the collision - not a blow to the head.

Its Dark!!! - jamie745

If im driving along at night and a cyclist dressed in black with no lights on suddenly ends up going over the windscreen because they were invisible its their own stupid fault as far as im concerned. If theres any chance of them claiming otherwise i will be forced to reverse and kill them so they cant identify me.

No lights no viz is a different thing to helmets. Got no time for ninjas; decent lights and a gilet are less than £20.

Its Dark!!! - Avant

Absolutely agree. Whether or not to wear a helmet is a cyclist's own concern; but being visible at night is a responsibility to others.

Fortunately I've never been in a sitiuation where I've been responsible for taliong another person's life: I imagine that applies to most of us unless we've been in the Forcers on active service. Even if it was the cyclist's own fault for pulling out in front of me and being invisible till the last moment, I would still feel guilty and wonder if I could have done more to prevent trhe accident.

Its Dark!!! - jamie745

You wouldnt drive your car at night with no lights on (well some people do) so why should you use a bicycle with no lights at night? Thats what i always say to people. Im expecting this week to be a difficult one on the roads as the cyclists forget to take lights and high vis and get surprised its dark at 4.30, despite it happening every year they still get caught out somehow.

And equally there will be motorists who fail to adapt to the clock change. Can guarantee I'll have a near miss, probably with a courier van, when traveling in the 16:40 twighlight this week.

Once we're doing it in the proper dark it actually gets easier.

Its Dark!!! - jamie745

People with no lights on do annoy me, i was behind a Hyundai Atoz a few days ago when everybody else had their lights on at around 5pm except them. You want to get their attention to put them on but at the same time you dont want to flash them, dazzle them and make them crash.

Agree its irritating yet but I've also managed to forget to switch lights on when departing the floodlit station car park.

Normal routine is to get engine running then sort cabin ventilation/aircon and heat, lights, audio etc while the Xantia is getting its ride height and warning lights in order. Easy though to be distracted by the radio/clot parked nearby/aggravtion from taxis holding over on car park and miss the 'lights on' bit.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 30/10/2011 at 22:19

The bike bit of tonight's journey was fine. Get in car at station and, just after crossing he ring road there's a ninja Golf on the d/c towards the M1. Invisible awful quick once the street lights run out !!

A bout of synchronised flashes eventually woke up the dozy burk and lights popped on.

Its Dark!!! - jamie745

Ok i think its time for a public information film.

ATTENTION PEDESTRIANS

If you are going to dress entirely in black and run across the road at night in front of cars, we cannot see you.

Just thought you ought to know.

Its Dark!!! - Ben 10
s w

Edited by Ben 10 on 01/11/2011 at 18:17

I think running round in black was last night's story Jamie!!

Edited by Bromptonaut on 01/11/2011 at 20:38

Its Dark!!! - jamie745

Im convinced schools are now telling children that cars are made of sponge or something as none of them seem to mind the thought of being run over.

Its Dark!!! - Paul G1pdc

ITS DARK....

and approx 1 in 10 cars that i see have either a busted headlight or tail light...GRRRRR

Due to a previous local job I cycled to work for 3 years in all weathers. (8mile round trip) and used to run to work in the summer....

...in the end the bike had 3 front lights. 1x5w 1x10w 1x flashing led, and 2 rear red lights. (50% of the roads had no street lights) and a high viz jacket (highways agency approved).......got knocked off one winter....i was on the main village road 30limit and a car came out of a side turn....took me out and broke my elbow.....she said "sorry i didn't see you".........

yeh I use a bike helmet.....and so do my children...

you can judge road conditions, and general situations but theres always the unknown...just like when at a crossing and the little green man says its safe to cross the road,,,always make sure the cars/bikes have stopped fully before crossing the road,,,we've all seen cars go straight through......and thats outside the village school!!! think once think twice think total pratt.....

Its Dark!!! - Bobbin Threadbare

I was behind a 4x4 with no brake lights and only one sidelight working at the front the other day. I shifted away from him pretty sharpish!

Its Dark!!! - rtj70

Bi xenons are very good this time of year. If someone sits with their foot on the break at junctions are at risk.... :-)