ford fiesta 1.25 zetec T reg - over revs but not stalling or power loss - stephbrum

Hi all my little car has never gone wrong before in the past but now she is starting to play up with a passion!

Cold morning she will start first time revs upto 1500 then drops to 1100 rpm, once she warms up she sits at 1000/1100 rpm.

driving is normal plenty of power etc, wont stall, doesnt cut out etc... BUT

sitting at lights she will over rev upto 2500/3000rpm for a second or two before dropping to normal idle, If im pulling up at lights for example and dip the clutch the revs increase again anywhere up to 3000rpm, for just a second before dropping. But if im driving along as normal and gear change from 3 to 4 etc, revs DROP for a split second.

Ive tried an ECU reset about five times now and still the same (i cant find appropriate fuse so just been disconnecting the battery) so i disconnected the VSS (triangle plug thing that sits in the gearbox) that works a treat except my speedo is electronic, so no vss no speedo.

so what i was wondering was do any of you know which wire controls the speedo? That way i can cut the ''offending'' wire until i can get a replacement part.

Ive tried googling but get no where. Ive spoken to Ford but they are INSISTING i bring the car in for diagnostic checks, yet when ive have done the code reading thing holding down odometer reset button and putting ignition onto position ii there are NO error codes. There is also no difference in fuel consumption either.

I dont want to start replacing part after part because i dont have money to throw at it, i have very limited knowledge of engines and im also disabled (spending time under a bonnet hurts a lot!)

thanks.

Edited by stephbrum on 30/10/2011 at 09:17

ford fiesta 1.25 zetec T reg - over revs but not stalling or power loss - stephbrum

sorry i forgot to mention it is a mark 4 fiesta, and power steering. i have checked the power steering connections and they are fine.

Also from time to time all of the clocks go to the right, ie speedo max speed, fuel full etc odometer resets

and rarely i do mean rarely, the lights will dim if im slowing down, battery volt check says between 11.4v car off and 12.8v car on.

Battery fault maybe?

Edited by stephbrum on 30/10/2011 at 12:34

ford fiesta 1.25 zetec T reg - over revs but not stalling or power loss - Dragon Wales

I have a 1999 T reg Ford Fiesta Zetec, owned it for about 4 years and I have the same problem as yourself except mine actually cuts out with no warning aswell ever since Ive owned it. Been to several garages and replaced parts but it never fixes the problem. Ive been told its very common with this car and advised to change the bypass air valve (which I could only get from Ford who had to order it in) this didnt work neither. Reluctunt to take it to a Ford garage due to the cost, it would probably cost me close to the value of the car. I even had some garages telling me Im stalling the car, simply coz they dont know whats wrong with it. I just think these cars wasnt made to last this long. Im saving for a knew car. Sorry but dont know how to fix your problem.

ford fiesta 1.25 zetec T reg - over revs but not stalling or power loss - madf

Throttle position sensor is known fault.