Mazda 6 - Gear trouble and leaking gearbox - mikej

Had trouble selcecting 3rd gear on my home tonight - took two attempts on each occasion. Called in somewhere on my way home and when I came to leave, I couldn't get car into reverse gear at all. After a push onto the road, I drove home, parked on the drive and eventually managed to get it into reverse.

I then put the car in the garage and noticed that, in the 2-3 minutes it had been on the drive, it had leaked a dark brown fluid.

It seems to be coming from somewhere near the gearbox (hard to see due to the plastic under-tray) and a clear liquid is also seeping from the outlet here, although this has the appearance of water and might be unrelated : http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g136/mikej2005/P1000644.jpg

Same shot from further back - looking at back of passenger glovebox : http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g136/mikej2005/P1000645.jpg

These are the two fluids collected - the brown liquid was dripping fairly quickly, but has since slowed : i55.photobucket.com/albums/g136/mikej2005/P1000646...g

Any ideas ?

The combined (I presume) brake and clutch fluid reservoir is just under the max mark so no obvious loss of clutch fluid so far.

Could leaking gear oil cause problems in selecting gears and what could cause gear oil to leak - a dodgy seal/gasket or anything more serious ?

I'm pretty sure that the gear oil was changed at the last (5 year) service.

Thanks guys.

Edited by mikej on 27/10/2011 at 23:56

Mazda 6 - Gear trouble and leaking gearbox - Peter.N.

I think it will be caused by loss of clutch fluid, the symptoms would indicate failure of the clutch to disengage properly. It could be leaking out of the clutch slave cylinder which is in or on the gearbox.

I think it will be caused by loss of clutch fluid, the symptoms would indicate failure of the clutch to disengage properly. It could be leaking out of the clutch slave cylinder which is in or on the gearbox.

Thanks for the suggestion. Are the brake and clutch fluid likely to be combined ? If so, the brake fluid reservoir is not far off the max and it looks orange/red in colour, whereas the stuff dripping is most definitely dark brown in colour.

Mazda 6 - Gear trouble and leaking gearbox - Peter D

the pipe you show is the Air Con condensation drain. Check the colour of your engine oil I suspect you may be leaking engine oil into the clutch assemble and the clutch is now polluted and dragging. Can you select all gears with the engine off. If so then you have a failed rear crankshaft oil seal. Regards Peter

the pipe you show is the Air Con condensation drain. Check the colour of your engine oil I suspect you may be leaking engine oil into the clutch assemble and the clutch is now polluted and dragging. Can you select all gears with the engine off. If so then you have a failed rear crankshaft oil seal. Regards Peter

Thanks for the pointer on the clear fluid - I thought it might be unrelated so it's good to know for sure.

I didn't think to check the engine oil level/colour, as the fluid smelled so bad/distinctive that I presumed it wasn't engine oil, which I have dealt with in the past.

Funnily enough I was able to select all gears with the engine off, yet struggled to get it into reverse to back it out of the garage this morning so I'll bear your suggestion in mind.

Edited by mikej on 28/10/2011 at 19:30

Mazda 6 - Gear trouble and leaking gearbox - Peter.N.

If its clutch fluid it could be that its collecting oil on the way down.

Mazda 6 - Gear trouble and leaking gearbox - Peter D

Why are you driving it. There is something clearly wrong. It could be gearbox oil which your explain the smell but not the colour. Engaging all gears when the engine is off indicates a polluted clutch form the oil leak. Regards Peter

Why are you driving it. There is something clearly wrong. It could be gearbox oil which your explain the smell but not the colour. Engaging all gears when the engine is off indicates a polluted clutch form the oil leak. Regards Peter

Don't worry - I only drove it to my local garage, which is about 100 yards from my house. They should be looking at it tomorrow.

Does anyone know if a 2005 2l petrol Mazda 6 has a dual mass flywheel (DMF ?). I could really do without a £1500 bill for a new clutch and DMF right now, which a quick search of this forum suggests is a typical cost !

Update - I've heard back from garage, who took the gearbox out yesterday – the diff is knackered and gearbox casing is badly damaged which has caused the gearbox oil to leak – basically, the gearbox is scrap. Oil has also contaminated the clutch.

A fully inclusive price of £1204 gets me a second-hand 6-speed gearbox (from a 2007 car with 32k miles - 3 month warranty) and a new (3-piece) clutch. My car was a 2005 with 54k miles, so at least this gearbox is newer I guess.

Quote for a reconditioned/exchange gearbox (with 12 month warranty) plus new clutch was £2k ! (Car is worth £3-4k max)

I can't help thinking that this catastrophic gearbox failure is linked to the acceleration/decelleration jerkiness issue that this car has suffered with ever since I bought it. The dealer changed the engine mounts under warranty which didn't help.

A friend of mine has a theory that a faulty clutch (springs?) might lead to abnormal wear on the gearbox which could end up causing something like this. Either that or the Mazda dealer cocked up the gearbox oil change which was done at the last service back in April. Proving any of this for any come-back from Mazda will, of course, be pretty much impossible.

Do I have the only unreliable (petrol!) Mazda 6 in the country ?

Mazda 6 - Gear trouble and leaking gearbox - rtj70

My problems with gear selection on a Mazda6 diesel 143PS on a 57 plate must be unrelated. But in the last few months it was difficult to engate 1st and 2nd gears at times. Garage changed fluids, adjusted it (made it worse) and did a partial teardown. They tightened things with the partial dismantle and it improved but was not right.

But I was due a new car so I gave in. So if anyone now has a Mazda6 2.0d Sport on plate FE57.... it might be my old car.

Update - I've just received the car back and the jerkiness issue when accelerating and decelerating seems to have disappeared with the new gearbox and clutch.

Here are some photos of the old gearbox casing and diff which show what caused the failure :

http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g136/mikej2005/Mazda%206%20gearbox/

It looks like that pin through the diff (should it be one pin ? if so, it's broken in two !) has been battering at the hole either side of the diff for the last 54k miles and almost made it a figure of eight, then it's sheared and blasted a hole in the gearbox casing which obviously then caused the leak. Does that sound right/plausible ?

I think a letter to Mazda is in order ! Hopefully the fact that this looks to have been caused by a fault they failed to rectify under warranty will help my case.