Honda Accord - Million Mile Joe's Honda Accord - 475TBJ

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/miscellaneous/2011-10/million-miler/

This is an incredible achievement. He bought it with 76,000 miles on the clock. I've heard of a guy who did 1,000,000 miles in a Saab who was rewarded by Saab with his choice of any model. He went for a very well specced 9-5 estate.

As far as I know the known record for any car is a Volvo 1800 coupe, with 3,000,000 miles.

I wouldn't want to do 1,000,000 in our Jazz, which has yet to do 10,000 miles. I'd be happy to have kept our A6 1.9 TDi Avant, which had done over 200,000 miles when we parted with it.

What would you want to do a million miles in?

Over 80 reads and not one of you is man/woman enough to do 1,000,000 miles in one car! Or maybe you don't think a modern car is capable?

Honda Accord - Million Mile Joe's Honda Accord - Buster Cambelt

There are very few cars made that have the mechanical integrity to do this sort of mileage without major surgery these days. Honda engines will do it for sure but the rest of the car probably won't.

Design life is realistically 7 or 8 years, and 250k would be an exception for most before serious things start to fail or generally fall apart. Economically, it probably takes one failure to make a 7 year old car an unrealistic proposition to repair.

You'll get the odd taxi or delivery van that is never cold and will run up to 500k but it's very much the exeception and not the rule.

Honda Accord - Million Mile Joe's Honda Accord - Dovile

What would you want to do a million miles in?

^ for me, it would have to be something old. such as my 1979 golf gti! mine has done just over 300,000, meaning only 690-something thousand to go..... if one was to attempt something like this, do it something interesting, cool and stylish, that is fun to drive yet dependable/solid. something you'd be happy to stick this journey out with. something that makes it an adventure, not boring (ie, luxury cars.....sorry to those who like these kinds of cars) or painful/difficult (ie, a peel p50 or the original fiat 500 or something.).

my boyfriend's 2002 clio 1.5 dci is approaching 750,000 miles - nearly three-quarters there, runs amazingly well, and looks in real good nick still too! if my lanky 6'4 self could fit comfortably to drive it i would try to add the required miles to reach 1million faster!
however i do not like this current range of renault cars - so if renault were to copy honda in giving a new renault once 1million miles is achieved, in my eyes it would make for more punishment than reward..... maybe for renault to just give the clio a free service/belt change/etc., and allow the car to continue soldiering on, would make for a more bearable reward. ehehe.

Honda Accord - Million Mile Joe's Honda Accord - Avant

I've probably driven a million miles - but it's taken 45 years to do it, and something like 20 cars.

An Octavia like mine would be able to do it, but if I did an annual mileage like Milion Mile Joe, I'd have stuck with the diesel.

Honda Accord - Million Mile Joe's Honda Accord - richardcroft

Don't think there are many diesels in the US.

Honda Accord - Million Mile Joe's Honda Accord - balleballe

I dont think any modern engine is able to, especially diesels. You'll be lucky to get 200k out of them nowadays

Honda Accord - Million Mile Joe's Honda Accord - Roly93

I dont think any modern engine is able to, especially diesels. You'll be lucky to get 200k out of them nowadays

The diesel engine will do it (standard servicing assumed), the problem is the bolt-on bits and electronics which make repairs uneconomic after a while.

Honda Accord - Million Mile Joe's Honda Accord - Roly93

want to do 1,000,000 in our Jazz, which has yet to do 10,000 miles. I'd be happy to have kept our A6 1.9 TDi Avant, which had done over 200,000 miles when we parted with it.

The Jazz certaily lets Honda's reputation down for reliability. Some models suffered from acute gearbox issues as I've read, and my brother in law has a 55 plate Jazz purchased from new and he had the gearbox rebuilt under warranty, and now has the same problem back at only 35K miles.

Honda Accord - Million Mile Joe's Honda Accord - dieseldogg
aka Paddys Hatchet/Triggers broom.
How much of the car is origional?
I did know a not so proud Volvo/Mercedes owner who said that yes a Volvo or Mercedes would last for ever if one took it back to the dealer for maintenance, as everything but the body shell would be replaced on a set schedule, your radiator has 100,000 miles on, we therefore fitted a new one, per manufacturer instructions, your radiator hoses are 4 years old, we therefore fitted new ones.
Funny enough I think the engine was the only bit that did not have such criteria laid down, per said mate.

dieseldogg said " How much of the car is original?"

Driving a Honda for a million miles is an extraordinary feat. So how did Joe do it? For starters, he's read and followed his owner's manual and maintenance schedule to the letter. He's also a stickler for fluids, he checked them weekly, switching them seasonally (10W-30 in summer and 5W-30 in winter), and changed them every 5,000 miles. He's been loyal to the same brand of oil and never let it go below a quart low.

You know how most people let their fuel go to almost empty? Joe never did. He's also a creature of habit, using only Honda air, oil and fuel filters. Joe never rode heavy on the brakes, and changed the fluid every few years. He's also replaced the fuel pump, both cooling fans and the radiator twice.

Besides his fastidious maintenance, Joe's Accord made it to one million miles because he's loved it. He's treated it with respect and always drove it responsibly. In fact, Joe has only gotten one speeding ticket in a million miles—that must be some kind of record.

Honda Accord - Million Mile Joe's Honda Accord - Trilogy

Just seen there is a W124 1990 MERCEDES 300D in Canada with 690,000 miles on the clock. One owner from new, original engine and gearbox.

Honda Accord - Million Mile Joe's Honda Accord - jamie745

I saw a 1998 Mondeo turbo diesel on Auto Trader a while back with 460,000 miles on it.

Honda Accord - Million Mile Joe's Honda Accord - Trilogy

Simple is good. Petrol Toyota Carinas from the 1990s were run by a local taxi company up to 400,000 in favour of diesel cars. I remember one 400,000 milers they sold to a lad from the London area. He was going to continue using it as a taxi.

Honda Accord - Million Mile Joe's Honda Accord - Bobbin Threadbare

What about this one: www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20114342396...p

I'm not sure I believe it.

Honda Accord - Million Mile Joe's Honda Accord - jamie745

I think thats supposed to be 98,000

Honda Accord - Million Mile Joe's Honda Accord - Sulphur Man

Just seen there is a W124 1990 MERCEDES 300D in Canada with 690,000 miles on the clock. One owner from new, original engine and gearbox.

I can well believe that. Merc W124 E-Class, running the M606 non-turbo diesel engines, can run for eternity. Very simply engines, no ECU or other bolt-ons. To be honest, a well-maintained W124 E300 Diesel should be capable of 500K miles without issue. The W203 Mercedes 190, in 2.5 diesel form, has the same qualities. Just watch the rust.

Both these Mercs are still a target for thieves, due to their longevity and low running costs Stolen ones are shipped out to the subcontinent and sold on quickly

Honda Accord - Million Mile Joe's Honda Accord - balleballe
I went to Morocco - all the taxi drivers are driving them!
Honda Accord - Million Mile Joe's Honda Accord - craig-pd130

The key point with the article about the million-mile Accord is that the owner averages over 60K miles per year -- or over 150 miles per day. Cars actually benefit from this kind of running, because they are warmed up and working efficiently, instead of starting from cold, driving 5 - 10 miles, stopping, cooling down, restarting etc.

I'm very happy with my current Volvo V60 D3, I'll happily hang on to it.