Honda Civic - Honda Civic 2.2 i-CTDI - any known issues? - Dingle232

Have spotted one of these I am really keen on with about 25k on the clock inc full dealer service history.

Are there any known issues or problems with these that I should look out for? I seem to remember reading about them using an excessive amount of oil but not sure if that was just someone with a problem car.

Thanks

Honda Civic - Honda Civic 2.2 i-CTDI - any known issues? - Avant

Have a look at the Reviews section of this site: it seems that the new Civic is less reliable than the previous version. Personally I wouldn't touch one for a different reason: the view out of the back is so bad as to be potentially dangerous.

Honda Civic - Honda Civic 2.2 i-CTDI - any known issues? - Dingle232

Have a look at the Reviews section of this site: it seems that the new Civic is less reliable than the previous version. Personally I wouldn't touch one for a different reason: the view out of the back is so bad as to be potentially dangerous.

When you say the 'new Civic' I take it you mean all variants of the spaceship looking one? Interesting - I had been led to belive that they are pretty decent but you live and learn.

Edited by Dingle232 on 18/10/2011 at 15:17

Honda Civic - Honda Civic 2.2 i-CTDI - any known issues? - grahamw

I've been running an 10 reg 2.2 i-CTDI SE for the past 3 months having done 5000 miles, It has now covered 28000 since new.

Good Points:

Very economical 45 mpg overall (brim-brim calculations) 50+ easily obtainable.

Very quick, smooth engine, quite refined.

Very comfortable seats and I find the dash layout excellant.

I've had no mechanical issues and no problems have been reported to the leasing company from new.

Bags of room in the car with a hugh boot, it's like a tardis.

Bad Points:

Terrible ride quality, feels like the suspension is going to collapse at any moment.

Handling does not inspire any confidence, vague steering.

No spare wheel.

Quite noisey, but quieter than a MK2 Focus, louder than a new series Astra.

Needs a rear windscreen wiper but I found no problems with rear visability.

That about sums it up, if you can live with the terrible ride not a bad car, nothing in it's class can beat it it for interior space and probably performance.

Honda Civic - Honda Civic 2.2 i-CTDI - any known issues? - Buster Cambelt

I ran an 07 plater to 100k without a single fault. Over that time it always did 45-47 mpg on the usual mixed diet of 80% fast runs on m/ways and A roads plus about 20% of urban. Did not consume a drop of oil in the time I had it.

Agree about the great use of space in the boot and also the way the rear seats fold in all directions. Ride not as good as, say a Focus, but I found the handling to be pretty good.

Never found the rear visibilty is any way dangerous but the split screen is a bit daft. It needed a wiper too. Luckily the mirrors are huge and have easy adjustment so reverse parking isn't so hard.

The engine is superb, it's a 5 year old design and still much better than most current diesels.

Spare wheel was £100 quid so get the dealer to throw one in for free. It doesn't mess up the boot space but you do lose the ability to lower the boot floor.

Dealer service excellent, but you won't see them very often.

It's a very good car and I'd buy another for my company without thinking twice.

Honda Civic - Honda Civic 2.2 i-CTDI - any known issues? - sheik_andy

If you have a look at Civic info there is an abundance of information regarding know faults, one of the most common is premature clutch failure.

They have a good wiki article, not sure about posting links but if you google civic info and find their wiki page you should get plenty of information.

Andy

Honda Civic - Honda Civic 2.2 i-CTDI - any known issues? - idle_chatterer

We bought a 2.2 i-CTDi Sport in 2007 and ran it for just under 3 years, as a second car it did a very low mileage (11K) in that time.

I have to be honest and say it has completely put me off buying another Honda - ever, it was unreliable from the start e.g. it was the only car we've owned in 20 years which failed to start (an ECU fault when only a few months old).

The ride quality was truly dreadful with every road imperfection being transmitted to the cabin and rattles and creaks quickly becoming evident in the rather low-grade interior trim (I understand that a mid-life facelift may have improved some interior trim). We had numerous problems with the suspension - bushings creaking, bump stops and shock-absorbers changed and a driveshaft changed - remember we only did 11K (I'd contend gentle) miles in it.

Rear visibility is dire, we had the Honda reverse park sensors fitted withing the first week of ownership - I'd suggest you look for one with these fitted or get them fitted.

It wasn't all bad, there are things I still like about the car - the styling is brave and hasn't dated in my opinion, the interior space is excellent - the boot in particular is huge for this class of car. The 2.2 i-CTDi engine is very good too, refined, powerful and as other posters have said returning 45+ mpg (with no DPF).

We changed the car ealier than planned because we couldn't live with the ride, rear visibility and we didn't trust the reliability or the ability of Honda dealers to fix the car (they're allegedly more used to paragons of reliability after all). We bought a Golf VI which was a better car in almost all respects. On the plus side we got an excellent trade in for it.

Civic info is useful although (perhaps) as these admittedly stylish cars come into the financial reach of people interested in modifying their cars the tone and content seems to have changed since its inception.

Edited by idle_chatterer on 19/10/2011 at 15:41

Honda Civic - Honda Civic 2.2 i-CTDI - any known issues? - balleballe

there's a few common problems faults (as with all cars) Battery drain, Premature clutch wear, Premature DMF wear Leaking seals around doors, More and more turbo related problems emerging now (I read they use the same turbo as BMW - haven't looked into it much though) The chain can 'slip' Honda have increased their warranty on this - not sure what to though, best to contact a local dealer

Edited by balleballe on 20/10/2011 at 01:38