Fifth Gear: 'cooking' versus premium diesel - craig-pd130

This passed me by at the time, so apologies if it's been covered before: here's a link to Fifth Gear's test of V-Power and Ultimate diesel versus ordinary supermarket stuff, using a newish Citroen C5 2.2 as the testbed (4 minute video clip).

Both the premium fuels gave 161bhp compared with 155 on the ordinary stuff. What WAS upsetting was that V-Power and Ultimate were 100.9 pence per litre at the time :-/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezjknhwcQXU

Fifth Gear: 'cooking' versus premium diesel - Bobbin Threadbare

Honest John loves his V-Power. I like to put that in my car too, when it's not too expensive, as a little treat for it.

Oh those were the days!! £1 a litre!

Fifth Gear: 'cooking' versus premium diesel - NARU

The extra QE means we'll soon be paying more!

Fifth Gear: 'cooking' versus premium diesel - Sofa Spud

I thought this was going to be one of those threads about running a diesel engine on unfiltered, untreated chip oil !!!

Fifth Gear: 'cooking' versus premium diesel - madf

I found premium diesel made zero difference to performance and economy. Audi A4 and Yaris.

So why pay more for marketing hype?

Likewise, in both my Passat PD130 and Mondeo IV TDCI I didn't find any noticeable difference from using Ultimate or V-Power.

I was just interested to see that a) a back-to-back comparison dyno test had been done and b) it had found a small but measurable power boost.

Fifth Gear: 'cooking' versus premium diesel - outlier

What is the statistical signficance of the measured difference..?

... a cold day might make the same difference.

About a 4% increase on both premium diesels.

The test used a chassis dyno, on which the driven parts bolt directly to the driven wheel hubs (eliminating tyre slip on conventional roller dynos).

Fifth Gear: 'cooking' versus premium diesel - 1litregolfeater

Do you really believe this marketing nonsense?