Mystery leak - jo1202
Help - I have a 1997 Hyundai Accent Coupe which has a mystery leak. The back seat is damp and there are huge puddles in the rear passenger footwells. Its all a bit of a mystery as I can't work out where the water is coming in from - any ideas?
Mystery leak - PhilW
If it was a Citroen I'd say it was almost certainly the sunroof drain holes blocked!! - but I don't even know if your Accent has a sunroof!! If it has try a pipe cleaner in the drain holes - or a piece of wire (but be careful not to push too hard and damage the pipes)Its probably the rear drain holes but you can test by crefully pouring water in each corner of (open) sunroof. water should probably drain out near front or rear wheels. If not, it's going direct to the footwells!
Mystery leak - jo1202
Thanks Phil but it doesn't have a sunroof. Cheers anyway.
Mystery leak - Andrew-T
When does the water appear?
Mystery leak - jo1202
There doesn't seem to be any particular pattern but its worse in the mornings. The other morning the water had frozen in the footwell there was so much of it.
Mystery leak - Andrew-T
I don't know the layout of an Accent coupé, but some cars will let water into the luggage compartment, which can run under the rear seats when the car is tilted forwards.
Mystery leak - Dynamic Dave
Have you checked the window rubber seals?
As it's a coupe, I guess it's only a 3 door. If however it is a 5 door, remove the door trim and check the plastic membrane behind is intact.
Another thing to try is to sit in the back of the car and get a mate to spray water over the car, starting at the bottom and working his way upwards - you might be able to see where its coming from.
Mystery leak - IanT
Since the back seat is wet, it's more likely the water is getting in through the boot and travelling under the back seat on its way to the rear footwell. Remove the boot's floor covering and see if it's wet - though a well designed floor covering shouldn't be as absorbent as your back seat.

Leave the floor covering out and stick small strips of kitchen paper with masking tape in lots of different places around the boot - particularly near the light clusters and the rear window seals. Stick more telltales in likely places near the back seats. Change the telltales as they get wet to home in on the source.

Ian
Mystery leak - Andrew-T
IanT - thinking about this a bit more, if water gets into the boot of any cars I am familiar with, it would collect *under* the rear carpet, not on top of it. Worth a try nonetheless.
Mystery leak - IanT
Andrew-T - True.

When my boot leaked, the water worked its way through to wet the back seats, but then collected in a space under the seats, so no water actually got as far as the footwells (above or below the carpet).

But the paper telltales technique worked well - my leak was traced to a blocked drain hole next to the fuel filler cap. Water stood around in the space next to the filler cap, then seeped down the inside of the rear wing, travelled along a channel towards to the rear light cluster, dripped out under the light cluster, along the boot floor and under the back seat. Tricky to find, but only a moment's job to fix.

Ian