£6 billion road improvements? - gismo
So the government reckon they want to spend £6 billion widening the M1 and the M6? I've got a better idea: teach drivers to use all 3 lanes that already exist, instead of just the middle and outer lanes! (Yes, you know the type: the inside lane is only for lorries, why should I use it? etc). Anyway, even if they do widen the motorways, how many lanes would actually get used then? When I was taught to drive (1971), the idea was that one drives on the left, and only uses the other lanes for overtaking.
£6 billion road improvements? - volvoman
This 'government' (I use the term very loosely !) spending some real money on road improvements ?
Oh really, O'reilly & O'leary too !!

I'll believe it when I see it !
£6 billion road improvements? - jurbotet
Your quite right. Spend the money to teach people how to drive on our motorways. Drive in the left lane only and overtake in the other lanes. When you rubberneck It causes serious problems behind you, up to several miles behind you. Let HGV's pull out when they NEED to, slowing a lorry down by just a couple MPH can stop it from overtaking again for several miles and this causes even more congestion.
£6 billion road improvements? - carl_a
Your quite right. Spend the money to teach people how to
drive on our motorways. Drive in the left lane only and
overtake in the other lanes. When you rubberneck It causes serious
problems behind you, up to several miles behind you. Let HGV's
pull out when they NEED to, slowing a lorry down by
just a couple MPH can stop it from overtaking again for
several miles and this causes even more congestion.

I taught my dog to whistle, but he didn't listen.
£6 billion road improvements? - teabelly
The entire roads budget is £6 billion. They're probably announcing that several times over to make it look like they have invested in roads. Local authorities have a lot of the budget now which is why most roads are in a disgusting state of repair as it has been continually underfunded.

Crunch time will come when the 40 tonner artics are allowed on the roads. They won't last any time at all and repair budgets will spiral.
teabelly
£6 billion road improvements? - Roberson
Well, it would have been nice to think some of the governments? money would have been put toward dualling the A1 North of Morpeth. Fat chance, its been missed off the list of priorities again, despite being one of the major roadways into Scotland. Instead we're going to be left with the lethal, inefficient crumbling remains of the only stretch of the A1 not to be dualled. 3 lanes? Couldn't even begin to tell you where my nearest 3 lane stretch is.