'Care in the community' - HF

I just got home after a bit of an accostment, if that's a word.

It's kind of normal for me, as I have the tattoo on my forehead inviting problems.

This time it was a guy 'allowing me' to share his bench (which i always use when waiting for my cab). And then the life story. He was obviously special needs, I'm used to that from my job. Very little phases me.

So...I got told how he'd just split from a g/f, it gradually got deeper tho, worse and worse to where he said he'd hit a police officer last nite. Not at all sure I believe that.

I did feel forced to listen, and missed my cab because of it. That's all fine.

There was a lot of anger there in him tho, about how he rides a motorbike (oh wow that's my first motoring contribution since coming back!) and had deliberately ridden it and crashed without helmet just to get back at this girl. Last night he said, but I saw no bruises.

To me, well I do feel this guy is gona do harm to someone, sometime, and pretty soon. It's just a feeling borne of experience.

Then, his nan, his carer I think, arrived and took him away. Giving me looks like thunder.

He admitted to being polish when i asked, and on the surface just a sweet special needs guy. BUT... I know better.

We can't solve that one cos I didn't ask for his name and address :). But the look in his eyes - it wasn't that easy staying calm and talking to him to be honest.

Most of my wonderful clients when i worked in the nhs came from the big institutions. Some should never have been there, and some were absolute nutters. Dangerous I mean. You get to know the look in a person's eyes.

This guy's eyes had the look. But I couldn't do anything because he hadn't done anything wrong yet.

The thing where families or friends have to take care of someone so obviously ill is s***. Even before this government, in my time in the nhs, the cutbacks were so severe, and it was to make room for offices.

The past shows us what can happen when people who need care are left unsupervised. Many innocent people have died.

I can't just leave this. But I'm not sure what I can do. Obviously not save that one bloke, but believe me, when you see it in the eyes something is going to happen. When we had them in care homes we could look after them and prevent anything bad - but now - we cant.

I'm apolitical - but cameron is going to have a lot of blood on his hands soon, not just this but all the other people he is killing. This coming winter will show just how much, how many.

'Care in the community' - Collos25

So easy to drop through the safety net and the problem is growing I wonder about the many young people about to be made redundant from the armed forces many will eventually end up on the streets.What do you do? I wish I knew.

So easy to drop through the safety net and the problem is growing I wonder about the many young people about to be made redundant from the armed forces many will eventually end up on the streets.What do you do? I wish I knew.

Yeah there's a statistic, not sure what but it's high, of the number of homeless who are ex forces. One of the HFs spent time camping out with some of them a year or two back. We should all be ashamed that the people who risk their lives for us and our country end up like this.

And what about the hero who's just had his payout halved because of government cuts? He lost his limbs and half his brain. Makes you proud to be british doesn't it?

'Care in the community' - Armitage Shanks {p}

I went an official tour of a local prison a few weeks ago and was told that 10% of prisoners are ex military. I would guess that most of thgem would helped more by psychiatric care than incarceration.

'Care in the community' - tdc

Once you train someone to kill you can`t untrain them.

Check out the ingredients in their vaccines(serious detoxification often required)

Find out why they joined the army in the first place.

The govt is happy to send them out in a quest for oil and mineral rights but not so keen to see them right when they return.

US is building a case for invading Iran,they`re on a roll.

'Care in the community' - bonzo dog

"Even before this government, in my time in the nhs, the cutbacks were so severe"

Why is it that every time someone gets a splinter in their finger & they are not delivered to a brand new hospital by helicopter, given a CAT scan whilst being attended to by an anaesthetist, a consultant surgeon & a whole battalion of nurses & para-medics does someone blame "NHS Cuts"

Since Mrs Thatcher's election in 1979 (& I'm only using this because I don't have figures prior to this) there has been an increase in real terms in NHS spending every year except 1996 when there was a reduction of about 0.3% (the previous two years had seen increases of 2% & 6%).

The Conservatives increased spending & Labour dramatically increased spending. Any "cuts" were simply Health Authority local spending decisions; if a brand new hospital is built but an old one knocked down, this is NOT a cut-back!

Equally if health policy is to treat patients by different methods than previously, resulting in a reduction in spending in this area, again this is NOT a "cut-back". Which is exactly the situation you refer to in your heading "Care in the Community.

A decision was taken in the early 1980s that people with mental conditions should not be treated in long-stay hospitals / institutions (depending on your take on the topic) but given support to live within towns & cities. The problems this has caused for some individuals, you have described; others have benefited enormously.

Comment on the rights & wrongs of CITC please, but don't throw in some nonsense about non-existant NHS cuts being responsible.

Did you work in the nhs and see what happened when it was turned into trusts? Not cutbacks per se, perhaps, but a massive increase in administration to the detriment of frontline staff.

Please don't label my comments as nonsense unless you have facts to back yourself up.

Incidentally, just down the road from me the other day was the case of a mental paitent, in the community, who murdered an innocent stranger with a butcher's cleaver. It is said at the moment that she had stopped taking her medication and had asked to be sectioned the night before, but turned away by the hospital - these details are as yet unproven. But it does illustrate my point.

'Care in the community' - bonzo dog

HF, like I said, some individuals are better off under CITC & some worse off. My view is that political dogma decided to close the long stay hospitals not decisions based on the long term benefits to the individual & society, leading to terrible events like you mention.

The "facts" in terms of NHS spending I take from Kings Fund information, rather than making it up myself.

You have just admitted that the "cuts" you posted originally were "Not cutbacks per se",which means they weren't cut-backs, so why did you not state in the first place that policy decisions were to blame rather than NHS cuts?

Edited by bonzo dog on 14/10/2011 at 00:10

HF, like I said, some individuals are better off under CITC & some worse off. My view is that political dogma decided to close the long stay hospitals not decisions based on the long term benefits to the individual & society, leading to terrible events like you mention.

The "facts" in terms of NHS spending I take from Kings Fund information, rather than making it up myself.

You have just admitted that the "cuts" you posted originally were "Not cutbacks per se",which means they weren't cut-backs, so why did you not state in the first place that policy decisions were to blame rather than NHS cuts?

Sorry if I was snappy. You're right that it is all political. The individual cases are never looked at, or that is how it seems to me.

When I said about cutbacks, I did indeed mean to frontline services, and I apologise for not making myself clear. As you rightly said, more money, year after year, was, until now, being put into the NHS, but the fact that the Thatcher/Major governments turned the NHS into a business meant that the money didn't go where it was needed. Unfortunately Labour didn't turn that around, and now the Eton boys who rule us now wouldn't know what using the NHS is like even if they had a loaded syringe stuck up their backsides.

It's something I feel very strongly about, forgive me my rant please.

'Care in the community' - jamie745

Unfortunately Labour didn't turn that around

Labour threw money at it, but not where it was needed. They had billions to sink into it but no organisation. They viewed all spending as good spending, if you disagreed with employing 6,000 non-required Managers then in Blair's eyes you disagreed with funding the NHS entirely. The NHS invested £14billion in a new computer system which doesnt work, they were told from day one it wouldnt work and it still doesnt work. NHS IT jobs are the short straw of the IT market as a result of this.

Maybe if Blair's lot hadnt thrown billions at the NHS which seemingly went nowhere (more managers than beds, for instance), the current Government might have money to invest and wouldnt need to look to open it up privately.

But away from politics its when you see health systems elsewhere in the World is when you see how remarkably lucky we are to live in this country with the services which are handed to us for nothing.

Edited by jamie745 on 14/10/2011 at 00:47

'Care in the community' - dadbif
I am confused, I thought this was a motoring forum, not a social services chat room ...
'Care in the community' - dadbif
Just noticed "general chat - non motoring " iPhone screen a bit small, please continue
'Care in the community' - JOGON

This is a good argument for not using this website. Your comments on Cameron unfounded and biased, Labour would have had to do the same to avoid 'Going-Greek' after their overspend and the mess created.

I only hope the poor s*d on the bench didn't also have to read through all this.

The public sector and NHS in particular just don't know they are born. The tax-payer funded pension is grossly unfair and unsustainable.

This is a good argument for not using this website. Your comments on Cameron unfounded and biased, Labour would have had to do the same to avoid 'Going-Greek' after their overspend and the mess created.

I only hope the poor s*d on the bench didn't also have to read through all this.

The public sector and NHS in particular just don't know they are born. The tax-payer funded pension is grossly unfair and unsustainable.

How kind. I so hope I don't come across you, Hugh, again.

Unfortunately Mr H does have a point. Labour agree cuts need to be made and planned on £15billion this year themselves (gross, not net) and a further £11billion a year from 2012 onwards and the £6billion from the last year (net) from the Tories were based on Labour's plans to cut based on savings identified in the previous budget, but the new Government brought them forward.

Its reasonable to suggest Labour wouldve cut alot of the same things the Conservatives are doing, yet Ed Miliband leads the anti-cuts rally for the TUC and Labour have criticised and slammed every single cut, listen to them now you'd think they'd have made no cuts at all, the reality wouldve been very different.

When you spend £163billion more than you gain in taxation you need to fix it. This isnt a recession this is a debt crisis. Its like spending more than you earn and using credit cards to pay the extra, then using more cards to pay the cards, then getting a loan to pay the cards which pay the cards etc its all a house of cards (literally) and that is essentially the position the country has been put in. And its not just us, Europe is dealing with it as well, thank god we're not Greek.

As for the public sector, everybody agrees it needs reform. I worked briefly in the public sector, its full of people who couldnt survive in private business. Because its so hard to sack a civil servant, inadequate ones get moved instead, to offices out the way on their own which tend to be management roles so then you get the useless ones in charge. The pension system had always been based on high retirement rewards in return for low working pay but theres affordability issues now. Pensions costs the Government £122billion this year.

What annoys me is that we're all in the same boat (some more than others obviously) and the likes of teachers and other public sector workers seem to feel they should remain unaffected and then go on strike which only affects and harms the very people who they are employed to help and ultimately does nothing but inconvenience the people who are going to pay for their pension (you and me).

Theres plenty of people who havent had payrises for years but in the private sector you take it or leave it, but in a time of squeezed budgets the teachers et all still feel entitlement to their golden handshake which is probably the only reason they joined the profession.

Thank you Jamie for facts, and for not disparaging myself or the site with uncalled-for comments.

'Care in the community' - Armitage Shanks {p}

If the public Sector want to maintain their pension levels, while living longer to draw and live on them, it seems obvious that more money has to be paid in and that money has to come from somewhere, and some of it from the employees themselves. Nobody leaving the public service gets a "Golden Handshake" SFAIK; it is a gratuity of 3 x times annual pension and the pension itself, in most cases.

Its not just the public sector, in general a problem is that people are living longer so will cost the state more in pensions. Thats just a general mathematical fact. David Cameron said recently that if people are going to live longer and require pensions for longer they should work a little longer and pay a little more and its not often i agree with anything he or any politician comes out with but that made perfect sense.

Im in a private pension plan anyway as im damned if im working at 74 or whatever the age will be by then (please god dont let me live that long). I intend to be dead long before i have to draw the pension, hopefully some drug and drink induced sex heart attack but the plan is there as a backup.