Volvo V50 S (diesel 5 door) - Is the Volvo V50 reliable? - heftyporker

Hi Everyone

I am in need of a new car and have found an 07 Volvo V50 S Diesel, with 36000 miles on the clock for just over £8000. It seems like good value but I want your opinion. Someone recently said that some Volvos are not as reliable (something to do with a ford engine or something? - I forget!) I'm getting it for reliability and good miles per gallon (on a motorway). Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Volvo V50 S (diesel 5 door) - Is the Volvo V50 reliable? - Avant

The Ford-sourced diesel in the V50 is no worse than other diesel engines, but you need to bear in mind the usual provisos with used diesels:

- unless you know the previous owner, inevitably you don't know whether the car has been cherished or neglected

- if you are going to do a low mileage, you're better off with a petrol engine

- when a diesel does break down, the problem is often a major one.

Someone will probably be along soon and tell us whether or not this engine has a diesel particulate filter: these can cause problems if a lot of your driving is around town.

Volvo V50 S (diesel 5 door) - Is the Volvo V50 reliable? - jamie745

I believe the 2007 V50 diesel does indeed have a DPF.

Volvo V50 S (diesel 5 door) - Is the Volvo V50 reliable? - stivvy

Nearly 3 years ago I bought my first Volvo, V70 SE D5 auto with over 70k miles on the clock, which was reflected in the price. Originally chauffer driven from new, dealer serviced by the next owner and in excellent condition. Although this is not the same car as the one you are considering I'm sure my experience will still be relevant. My choice of a diesel at the time was based on an annual mileage of over 20k but this changed unexpectedly about 6 months later to more of an average of 12k. Now, of course I would definitely go for petrol for all the reasons stated by others. I can tell you that this has been a most reliable, comfortable and pleasant car to drive, averaging 38/40 mpg over the year. All has been well until 3 months ago when the audio system packed in and then 3 weeks ago the n/s bi-zenon headlight died. I've lived without the audio but now face a bill of nearly £1250 to remedy the headlight. So, I would say go for petrol and avoid the trickey unnecessary bi-xenon lights.

Volvo V50 S (diesel 5 door) - Is the Volvo V50 reliable? - Roly93

Nearly 3 years ago I bought my first Volvo, V70 SE D5 auto with over 70k miles on the

This car has a completely different engine.

Volvo V50 S (diesel 5 door) - Is the Volvo V50 reliable? - Roly93

The Ford-sourced diesel in the V50 is no worse than other diesel engines, but you need to bear in mind the usual provisos with used diesels:

If this is the 2.0 CR diesel from Ford isn't there a potential for all sorts of injector/HP pump problems ? Or was this solved by 2007 ?

Volvo V50 S (diesel 5 door) - Is the Volvo V50 reliable? - S40 Man

I have a 2.0D S40. I bought it at 135,000 miles and it's now done 170,000 so must ne fairly reliable to do that mileage.

It has had a few niggly mainly electrical problems.

It has needed new turbo control valve (under dealer warranty period)

A new Starter control unit (where the key goes on)

DPF pressure sensor, check the DPFis not blocked

Alternator.

I did all these myself and invested in a Volvo DPP diagnostic tool (~£100) but thats paid for itself already.

Mechanically it's been spot on no problems. The hand brake is a bit ineficient and my aircon needs regassing after being done 6 months ago.

At 35,000 miles the V50 islikely to be OK reliable enough.

On the whole I like my car, it drives well enough, is fairly economical (45-55 mpg) and has a very nice interior. Mine has DPF but hasn't given much GIP

Volvo V50 S (diesel 5 door) - Is the Volvo V50 reliable? - jamie745

Thanks for your input S40 man, great to get the views of someone who actually owns one, or the saloon variant.

Interestingly my..i was going to say girlfriend just then but its complicated (dont ask) has just bought herself an S40, five years old and its an absolutely terrific car. Volvo now make cars people might actually want to buy, who'd of thought it?

Volvo V50 S (diesel 5 door) - Is the Volvo V50 reliable? - Robert J.

Edited by Robert J. on 29/09/2011 at 11:26

Volvo V50 S (diesel 5 door) - Is the Volvo V50 reliable? - jacks

To the OP

A 2007 will almost certainly be the Euro 1V and have the DPF.

To check : if the 8th character of the VIN = 5 it has the DPF which from the servicing point of view is an Eloys fuel additive top up at 37500, and a new DPF is required at 75000 .

A new DPF fitted by the dealer costs about £900 !

My understanding is that after changing the DPF the dealer inputs the information into the ECU that the DPF has been changed otherwise the car will continually go into limp home mode (as in it "thinks" the DPF hasn't been changed).

The point is - Independents may be able to change the DPF but they also need to be able to update the ECU to avoid problems. Of course Ford, Citroen dealers can also do this for you (same PSA engine) but charge similar to Volvo.

I have a 2.0D S40 2007 done 22500, it's on a lease so thankfully the service cost isn't an issue.

I get an average of 41 mpg, 37ish on extended urban use and 44 on motorway work. I've never got the claimed 50mpg but maybe I press on too much - 80mph on the motorway.

I like the car very much, only one issue- the heater blower fan failed and was replaced promptly under warranty. The dealer told me they had a few such failures all on early 2007 cars and put it down to a faulty batch of fans supplied to Volvo. i've had no trouble with the replacement.

Negative points are the boots a little small - though fine for me as the rear seats fold flat - and the pedal box area is a little narrow with no rest for your left foot..

I chose it over a 1.6TDI Golf S (5 month delivery put me off) and a 1.6D Focus, and a 1.9D Insignia and I'm well enough pleased with it.

J

Edited by jacks on 29/09/2011 at 13:14

Ah thanks very much everyone for your thoughts. Now after all that, I'm concerned it's not going to get me enough MPG! My current focus (which is knackered after only 88000 miles - EGR valve problem) gets me between 52 and 58 mpg. I do 80miles a day - 60 of which are at 70mph. Trouble is I need reliability too - so that rules out any french cars! - of which they sound like they do good mpg.

If you want reliability AND good mpg perhaps you should consider something powered by the VAG 1.9 TDI engine. It isn't the fastest but it's adequate.

If you want reliability AND good mpg perhaps you should consider something powered by the VAG 1.9 TDI engine. It isn't the fastest but it's adequate.

sounds like a plan but my motoring knowledge doesn't stretch that far! Which cars have this engine?

Sorry - VAG stands for Volkswagen-Audi Group, so the cars with that engine are:

VW Polo, Golf, Passat and Touran

Skoda Fabia, Octavia and Superb

SEAT Leon, Altea and Toledo

Audi A4 and A6

All obsolete now I think (I'm open to correction!) and repalced by 1.6 TDI and 2.0 TDI engines.

Volvo V50 S (diesel 5 door) - Is the Volvo V50 reliable? - Nuruz

Please avoid this car at any cost, its the worst Volvo I have ever driven. The Volvo v50 diesel 2.0 estate I purchased the car at 83,000 miles, now at 114,700 miles I had to change air con panel, 4 new tyres, re gas, two front spring coils. Then the car had major electrical issues, suspect ecu control unit faulty, central locking doesn't work, the dashboard lights switch off suddenly, the car is fitted with a dpf !!! It went in limp mode. I wish I never sold my Volvo v40 dark green estate. Now the car is not running at all needs fixing.

Avoid diesel volvos

Volvo V50 S (diesel 5 door) - Is the Volvo V50 reliable? - RobJP

Please avoid this car at any cost, its the worst Volvo I have ever driven. The Volvo v50 diesel 2.0 estate I purchased the car at 83,000 miles, now at 114,700 miles I had to change air con panel, 4 new tyres, re gas, two front spring coils. Then the car had major electrical issues, suspect ecu control unit faulty, central locking doesn't work, the dashboard lights switch off suddenly, the car is fitted with a dpf !!! It went in limp mode. I wish I never sold my Volvo v40 dark green estate. Now the car is not running at all needs fixing.

Avoid diesel volvos

Basically, you bought a well-used diesel car with a DPF, and eventually things wore out on it, and the DPF came up for replacement.

And you're surprised by this lot for some reason.

It needed new tyres. The old tyres wore out ! Oh wow, here we were assuming tyres lasted forever !

The aircon needed a re-gas. Yup, that happens with lots of cars.

New springs on the front. Again, suspension components wear out and need replacing occasionally.

The DPF ... well, anyone who does a tiny bit of research can tell you that DPFs eventually get full, and need replacing.

About the only real 'problem' with your car has been the ECU / electrical issue. The rest of it is maintenance.

I think your post says a lot more about you than it does about the car, unfortunately.

Volvo V50 S (diesel 5 door) - Is the Volvo V50 reliable? - Hugh Watt

Funny really, the kind of tolerance we extend, or not, to our cars and their faults. The poster who says "avoid this car at any cost" then appends a list of repairs which, I realised, is very similar to my car's history over the last seven years - no DPF as it's a petrol 2005 Saab 9.3, but tyres (of course), aircon re-gas, couple of springs, replacement ECU, dodgy gauges so replacement facia, brake discs (I think) & maybe one or two I've forgotten.

But it's only left me at the roadside once (ECU went into limp mode) in nearly 40,000 miles - and basically I couldn't be happier with it! Hard to be rational, isn't it...

Yes these are a list of repairs but the dpf was a shock to me, the car went into limp mode!! I then had to go online to find out what on earth was wrong, after my research I took my car to main dealers, cost me £150 they cleaned the dpf.

I regret selling my Volvo v40 estate petrol, this car was excellent.

Volvo V50 S (diesel 5 door) - Is the Volvo V50 reliable? - galileo

Avoid diesel volvos

As others have pointed out, you need a reality check on maintenance needs of cars, have you ever had this vehicle serviced in the 31,700 miles you have had it? Probably not, which is why it now needs fixing. Your fault entirely, not the car's.

My car is serviced every October so its not my fault. What makes you think I don't regularly service my car and mot?

This car is manufactured in such away they probably used cheaper wires. I took my car to main dealers, cost me £138 loose wires, eroded and loose connections.

Volvo V50 S (diesel 5 door) - Is the Volvo V50 reliable? - RobJP

My car is serviced every October so its not my fault. What makes you think I don't regularly service my car and mot?

This car is manufactured in such away they probably used cheaper wires. I took my car to main dealers, cost me £138 loose wires, eroded and loose connections.

What about your whine (and I think I use the word appropriately) that you had to put tyres on the car eventually ?

What did you expect, that they'd last forever ?

Again, the DPF. Doing a few minutes of research would have told you that your car had a DPF, and, eventually, it would get clogged up. They all do, usually anywhere from 80-120k miles. And when that happens, they need changing.

But it's far easier to just whine after the event, than to learn a bit beforehand.

You seem to expect that the (heavily used) car that you bought will just keep working forever - in spite of the fact that it had already done the equivalent of driving round the world 3 times when you bought it, and has now done the equivalent of going round the world 5 times.

I think a little bit of realism is called for.

Volvo V50 S (diesel 5 door) - Is the Volvo V50 reliable? - badbusdriver

Avoid diesel volvos

Avoid buying an old car if you think it won't ever go wrong.

Avoid buying a diesel car if you can't be bothered to find out beforehand what, if any issues are likely to occur.

If you have a old car which know, and is reliable and is working fine, don't change it for another old car, which you don't know and don't know how it has been driven and/or looked after.

Common sense really, no?

Volvo V50 S (diesel 5 door) - Is the Volvo V50 reliable? - corax

I have a Car Mechanics guide on the V50. It's OK, they do suffer from more than their fair share of electrical glitches. Compared to the earlier true Volvo's they don't seem to be quite as tough. Nice looking car though.

Yes I agree with you, a lesson learnt, research before hand, as they say let the buyer beware.