Parking tickets and Rain-X - J Bonington Jagworth
I park in a time-limited area that is heavily policed in the summer, but less so in the winter. Recently, a traffic warden dispensed tickets to the unwary, but apparently not to me, although I'd been there all day (not expecting a visit). It was cold, and I had recently applied Rain-X to my screen, making it relatively non-stick. If I did get a ticket that blew away, what's the form?
Parking tickets and Rain-X - volvoman
I thought this might have happened to me some time ago so I contacted the local council parking enforcement section and asked. They happily confirmed that no ticket had been issued to a car bearing my regn.

IIRC the ticket blowing away (or whatever) is no defence to the offence so why not ring them and either put your mind at rest or pay the fine before it increases. Good luck.
Parking tickets and Rain-X - J Bonington Jagworth
"..no defence to the offence"

I realise that, but you have to be notified, surely? I've always assumed that tickets are not issued when it's raining for that reason. I had thought of contacting someone after more than 14 days had elapsed
Parking tickets and Rain-X - nick
If it was a valid defence to say 'I never got it, it must have blown away' they'd never collect a penny.
Parking tickets and Rain-X - THe Growler
Goodness I'd forgotten how well-behaved the British can be. Imagine here, phoning up to say I think I've committed an offence and I'd like to pay the fine.

The Manila Defence: It was not me it was my driver. I fired him last week and I have no idea where he is. Have a nice day and goodbye.

Poor Growlette, I thought she was going to seriously embarrass herself laughing when she saw that one.
Parking tickets and Rain-X - volvoman
Growler - The only reason for suggesting that option was not so much to do with being totally straight as it was to due with JBJ avoiding having to pay a larger fine for failing to respond to the first ticket, if indeed one was issued. It wouldn't be worth the bother if the worst that could happen to him was another fine sent by post for the same amount but I believe they double the fine now if it isn't settled within 14 days.

Slightly off topic but some years ago when I was working a lot harder than I am now, I had to get to the bank quickly and parked on a yellow line outside it but far enough away from the junction not to be causing an obstruction. There were only a few people queing so I thought I'd be in/out in a couple of minutes as usual. Not so this time ! An old bag in front wanted to change what looked like £100 worth of assorted small coins or something and hadn't bagged them up so I was kept waiting. To my horror I saw a young copper approach my car and start writing a ticket. I went outside and asked him why he wasn't allowing me 5 minutes and he explained that he thought I was causing an obstruction and carried on writing. I was angry of course but decided not to be rude but simply smiled and said 'well I might as well pop back in and sort this out while you're writing'. A minute or two later I came out, collected the ticket from the policeman, apologised for being inconsiderate and drove off. When I got home I checked the ticket and found he'd written my regn. down wrong by 'replacing' the last letter with another number. It was such a basic and obvious error that I still like to think he did it deliberately 'cos I'd accepted the blame and hadn't given him a load of verbal. Ahhhhhh... those were the days !
Parking tickets and Rain-X - THe Growler
OK, I know what you mean. Joke-only, as we say here.

PIty those guys you've got up there inhabiting Westminster and Downing St aren't such models of probity.....
Parking tickets and Rain-X - MickyFinn
Am I right in saying that they must place the ticket on your car though? i.e. If they are writing it and they havent stuck it on the screen you can speed off?

Is a car with it's engine running parked?

I seem to remember a story about parking outside East Croydon station (when you could) and they issued tickets to people dropping people off via CCTV. I thought it was unlawful. I think they had their tickets overturned?

BTW Parking in Croydon everywhere incl yellow lines is prohibited 7am to 12am unlike the usual park on yellow lines after 6. It's tougher than Central London :-( !!

Micky
Parking tickets and Rain-X - smokie
I drove off once while a City of London traffic warden was typing my details into his equipment. (He was being very unreasonable - only 6 minutes grace on a parking meter that had cost me a small fortune).

For a day or two I assumed every police car I saw was about to stop me and arrest me, but I heard nothing more.

Some advise I received then was that the notice is officially "served" by attachment to your car, so if it hadn't been attached then it hadn't been served. But if it had been attached and blown away, or been removed by someone else, then you were liable. True or not?