Audi A6 2.7 tdi - Warranty - Petrol Contamination - GFP

I recently bought an 06 registered Audi A6 from a reputabale dealer (but not an Audi dealer).

I returned it underwarranty because it had (without any warning) a 'fail to start' and I had to call upon the RAC to rescue me. The RAC chap got me going using Easy Start and recommended I got the car back to the dealers ASAP with suspected air leak in fuel system or a fuel pump problem. I took the car back with an added problem where there was a plateau in the accelerator travel response between about 900 rpm and 1600, and running lumpily and pinking slightly when accelerating at low speeds. The 'no start' was not replicated but the rough running put down to a faulty EGR valve, which was replaced, curing the low rev's rough running.

Thinjking that was 'it' I was called to collect the car, but whilst on my way told to stop as they had experienced a 'no start'!

At this point the car was taken to an Audi dealers who diagnosed petrol contamination in the diesel (requiring a filter and fuel change and fuel tank clean but...."This isn't under warranty as it's not a failure of the car! "

It was interesting that when I tried the car out, it was extremely low on fuel and the salesman put a very small amount in whilst on the test. It was still reading in the red with the warning light on. However when we picked the car up we were surprised to see the tank half full, no mean amount and actually thanked them for their generosity, But still unusual for a garage to do that. Anyway, whether the dealer/salesman made a mistake and covered it up by swamping the error with the half tank of Diesel or the previous owner did it, I certainly did not, I have only filled the car up once and changing from petrol to Diesel I was particularly careful that it was Diesel I was pumping (got the stuff on my hands because the pump handle was 'wet' too)!

So my contention is that the car was supplied 'contaminated' and it is reasonable to expect the dealer to rectify that - any comments on where I stand legally?

I actually expect the dealer WILL do the decent thing but it's an interesting point.

Thanks

Edited by GFP on 23/09/2011 at 18:54

Audi A6 2.7 tdi - Warranty - Petrol Contamination - Simon

Have you got a receipt from the fuel station that you filled up at? Does it state that it was diesel that you bought. If so, let the dealer see this to prove that you have only put diesel in it since you took delivery of the car and put the onus of any petrol being put it in back on them.