What cars make the best taxi? - jamie745

What cars do you often see as taxi's in your area? Theres alot of old 406 HDi's round here, some new Mondeo's and estate variants. The odd Volvo. What surprises me is how the Prius which i reviewed a few weeks ago isnt more commonly used as one, specifically in cities. Large car, excellent round town economy, low tax, tyres cheaper to replace than alot of other cars, no clutches to replace and they dont break down. Weird, i think New York has quite alot of them though.

Edited by jamie745 on 21/09/2011 at 18:29

What cars make the best taxi? - Avant

The 1.9 SDI and TDI Octavias are good taxis, but it'll be interesting to see what taxi-drivers do when they need replacing, as anything with DPF is presumably bad news for taxi work. Maybe the 1.2 or 1.4 petrol will find favour: there's even a Superb 1.4 available which must be at its best in town rather than on motorways.

In Edinburgh and Glasgow most of them are either TX1s or those ghastly converted Peugeot van contraptions. Clearly you need some taxis suitable for disabled people, but why do they all need to be?

What cars make the best taxi? - Mr Fox

The 1.9 SDI and TDI Octavias are good taxis, but it'll be interesting to see what taxi-drivers do when they need replacing, as anything with DPF is presumably bad news for taxi work. Maybe the 1.2 or 1.4 petrol will find favour: there's even a Superb 1.4 available which must be at its best in town rather than on motorways.

In Edinburgh and Glasgow most of them are either TX1s or those ghastly converted Peugeot van contraptions. Clearly you need some taxis suitable for disabled people, but why do they all need to be?

Toyota Avensis is very popular round here, along with Peugeot 406 HDIs and Citroen Xsara Picassos

What cars make the best taxi? - jamie745

Taxi's may cope with DPF's ok as the cars are in use all day and in areas like this they find themselves doing trips to Heathrow and back clocking up many many miles. City taxi's might be different, the car may be in use all day but its going everywhere at 25mph (which is why i thought a Prius would be good for city taxi). My father was a taxi driver for 10 years, when he started in the 80s they used Granada's when petrol was lovely and cheap. By the time he finished the 1.9TD Peugeot's were the firm favourite i remember.

Its interesting in some cases they prefer to keep older ones going rather than risk it with DPF'ed new diesels and if they dont sort them problems out then Hybrids might become more popular as taxi's in the UK. I did notice a couple of years ago alot seemed to replace the cars at once for just pre-DPF diesels, perhaps on purpose.

What cars make the best taxi? - bananastand

I am in the Greek island of Mykonos typing this, and there are about 30 or so taxis here. Most are merc E class and quite a few are very modern and a couple are brand new! I thought the damn place was bankrupt! Are they maxing out the credit before it all goes **boom**?

I can tell you this - those who have land are growing food, those who can afford it are stockpiling food, and those who can do neither are a tad unhappy!

What cars make the best taxi? - Collos25

Without a doubt a Merc e class.

What cars make the best taxi? - jc2

Mercedes taxis bear little relation to the cars the general public buy-mainly just the external looks.They have beefed-up suspension,transmission,upholstery,electrics and many other mods. and are usually very "competively" priced-just like many driving school cars.

What cars make the best taxi? - Duncan112

Can't get new ones now but the Peugeot 405 is ubiquitous in the third world, seems to go on for ever on the cart tracks they have for roads (and which our road system appears to be rapidly degenerating into)

What cars make the best taxi? - brum

Those London style hackney cabs were popular among the "official" station/airport taxi companies several years ago but now have disapperared - so much for their claims for extreme longevity. Now its all Fiat/Citroen Scuda? van types and Mercedes Vitos.

Private hire companies run just about anything but I notice the Octavia seems to be dropping off in popularity. Hardly any face lift Octavias (with CR engines etc). I know taxi companies can still get "classic" pre face lift octavias but I dont know what engines are fitted.

I dont think there are cars built specially for taxi use i.e. upgraded suspensions/electrics etc as someone claimed earlier.

What cars make the best taxi? - Sam49

Late 90s/ early 00s Avensis are by far the most numerous round me. Lot of them are petrol as well.

The I'd say the van-type conversion things