2008 Vauxhall Agila - Non Cancelling Indicators - challenger54

I have recently purchased a low mileage Agila and whilst I am generaaly happy with the vehicle it suffers from the Vauxhall problem of indicators non cancelling at times particularily on the nearside.You have to virtually to a complete left turn before they will cancel and when they do not cancel it is more like when you are going on a slight left turn. Any other vehicle I have owned or driven over the past 40 driving years cancel without any problems but I seem to recall that previous Vauxhalls I have owned, there have been 3, although some years ago had a similar problem.I have taken the vehicle back to the dealership with other issues that have been resolved and even been on a test drive with a technican but the response I got from the Vauxhall Service Manager when challenged about this failing was " they leave the factory like that". Its obvious that the people who design these things never have to drive them or have never driven normal vehicles with easy cancelling indicators. I also drove a courtesy brand new Corsa while the Agila was being repaired and the operation of the indicators completely fooled me in the short time I drove it. What is it with VAUXHALL and indicators?

2008 Vauxhall Agila - Non Cancelling Indicators - Ethan Edwards

Odd because most German cars appear not to have any indicators fitted at all. Necessitating some drivers to use some indeterminate hand gestures.

2008 Vauxhall Agila - Non Cancelling Indicators - 1litregolfeater

Check that the rubber boots are properly located and appropriately lubricated, and not deformed by by their bearing surfaces top, bottom, front and rear.

2008 Vauxhall Agila - Non Cancelling Indicators - Cris_on_the_gas

Started off riding Motorbikes in the early 80's and they do not and generally most motorcycles now do not self cancel. I still remember my RAC/ACU Instructor of the day saying " you turned 'em on lad, make sure you turn 'em off.

He also said that an indicator on another vehicle just means the bulbs working, perhaps they don't work on German Cars !!

2008 Vauxhall Agila - Non Cancelling Indicators - TeeCee

Also, the ever-idiosyncratic Citroen eschewed self-cancelling indicators for many years after they had become standard on every other marque IIRC.

2008 Vauxhall Agila - Non Cancelling Indicators - Big Tom

The indicators are usually reset by a simple mechanical ring mounted on the steering column. It will be directly underneath the indicator stalk. If you remove the cover over the stalks (usually a couple of screws on the bottom of the cover) you may see a plastic ring around the steering column. It should have a slot cut in it. When the slot goes past the indicator stalk it nudges it and it resets the indicators. It's common for the ring to become loose or get slightly misplaced. Take your time, and an adjustment with an Allen-key usually does the trick. It's simpler than it sounds, as once you've got the cover off, it's self-evident what you need to do.

Big Tom.