all - The Long View - missed a future seismic shift? - Capper

Reading the motor industry report into future trends in the second-hand motor retail trade (News item) it occurred to me that, in their future estimation of supply and demand, the authors had overlooked what promises to be one of the most significant shifts in vehicle availability to happen in decades.

Namely, the reassessment of people currently benefiting from the Motability scheme.

A rigorous regime of eligibility testing for all DLA recipients is scheduled to begin in January 2013.

There is little doubt that the criteria for eligibility has been so drastically overhauled that a very large percentage of those reassessed will lose the mobility component of their benefit - and, with it, their Motability vehicle.

For example, under current legislation, losing both legs would qualify someone for the mobility component of DLA. Under the new rules, such an applicant would be refused mobility allowance if he/she was able to propel themselves in a wheelchair.

That's obviously an extreme example - but it sets the tome of the reviews, and bodes ill for all those currently receiving the mobility component of DLA.

When the benefit is removed, Motability vehicles will have to be returned - and it's easy to foresee a scenario where tens of thousands of relatively new -ex-hire cars will be suddenly dumped back into the market..

Currently, the Motability fleet comprises well over half a million vehicles - if only 25% of those claiming DLA were to be refused the mobility component (and the actual percentage could well be 50% - 60%, so tightly has the new eligibility criteria been drafted) then over 125,000 (and, very possibly, 250,000 - 300,000) cars aged between 1 and 3 years are going to slosh through the auction rings in a relatively short time frame.

I'm a bit surprised that this hasn't been factored in to the 'Long View' report.

all - The Long View - missed a future seismic shift? - jamie745

You raise a very interesting point, my mother has full disability allowance although has refused her option of a motability car as she prefers to own the vehicle herself knowing no lease will ever run down and it be taken off her. She does make use of her free VED though. I have relatives who work/have worked in such a field (job centres etc) before and a current-ex-sort of girlfriend (dont ask, better not to) who works in social services so i often hear about the changes in such fields.

The changes to the medicals and examination process is particularly startling, the fact a huge fee is paid to a private healthcare company to meet contractual targets has led to genuinely ill people being declared fit due to an obvious conflict of interest . The example you mention is true, say if someone can walk with a prosthetic limb perfectly fine as all the rest of us then they will not qualify, and havent qualified for it for quite some time actually despite what the media say. But i dont want to get into a political debate about this so i'll leave it there.

Obviously the only people going to qualify are those like my mother who simply cannot walk more than 30 yards without serious pain and would literally be housebound without a car.

You're right this could end up flooding the market hugely, alot of dealers depend on this scheme to shift certain cars too (watch the Fusion get dropped if motability takes a hit) as with the money from the Government you're essentially able to take a new car on a three year lease for an up front fee which can range depending on what car it is (some are free but have manual gearboxes, huge oversight) and the dealer takes care of servicing and basically all costs except the fuel as im sure you all know. But i know people who have paid over £7000 to procure their motability car which they have to give back after three years, they couldve bought an ultra reliable Japanese runaround for about a grand and kept it in the first place with free Tax on it.

But rather than look at 'flooded market' this could present openings for dealers, specifically second hand ones like supermarkets etc if it was me i'd be offering some sort of motability disabled discount on 0% APR finance offering similar benefits but they keep the car at the end of it, might barely break even but think of the positive publicity and increased reputation of your business! Bargain for business rates reduction due to taking a chunk of a problem off the Governments hands etc theres all sorts i'd be trying LOL!

I also think the Government should be looking at some form of Fuel Duty rebate for people entitled to disability benefit, i know the DLA is designed to enable a disabled person to buy things they need to live more comfortably but transport is never taken into account in such a thing.

all - The Long View - missed a future seismic shift? - justadriver

I have a relation who "qualified" for a motability car 20 years ago, and every 3 years gets a new car FOC, usually better than mine Is it really down to us the taxpayer to subsidise people who can actually afford their own vehicles? not really, but it is the great british way of life, give where it,s not necessary! If the motability market shrinks by a 20% margin, some dealers are going to really catch a cold!

all - The Long View - missed a future seismic shift? - Avant

I am so glad and privileged not to be disabled (yet!) that personally I'm glad if some of the tax I pay goes towards giving disabled people all the help they need. Far better that than some of the things it's been spent on in the past - Iraq springs to mind.

It would be easy to say 'give them all Nissan Micras' but - although that's a great advance over the old standard-issue invalid car - people have different disabilities and not all can get into a Micra-sized car.

all - The Long View - missed a future seismic shift? - NARU

As someone who is disabled, but fortunate enough to be in a decent job, I've never claimed anything from the state, let alone the motability cars. It does make me angry when I see the schemes being mis-used.

all - The Long View - missed a future seismic shift? - Bobbin Threadbare

My Focus was an ex-Motability car. Its prior owner must have just received their new one judging by its age when Mr B and I bought it. I am happy that these cars exist in the market; it had been extremely well looked after and no service history detail was out of place.

all - The Long View - missed a future seismic shift? - RT

I doubt thare's any disagreement about what should happen to those who claim disability fraudulently but those who genuinely qualify for Motability need all the help they can get.

I "only" qualify for a Blue Badge, which is bad enough from a personal view, but I'm really thankful that I'm not so disabled to qualify for Motability.

As someone who is disabled, but fortunate enough to be in a decent job, I've never claimed anything from the state, let alone the motability cars. It does make me angry when I see the schemes being mis-used.

People who take a motability car even if they could afford their own are not mis-using anything. Its not means tested based on income, its means tested based on your mobility requirements. They're not doing anything wrong or illegal. In this country when it comes to disability you're either entitled to help or you're not, we do not discriminate and say to one disabled person 'we'll help you' but say to another in the same physical condition 'you can afford your own.' Of course someone with plenty of money probably wouldnt bother with all the agro, red tape and endless forms and applications if they could afford their own car but for the record, taking a motability car even if you could afford to buy one isnt 'fraud' in the slightest.

It would be easy to say 'give them all Nissan Micras' but - although that's a great advance over the old standard-issue invalid car - people have different disabilities and not all can get into a Micra-sized car.

Thats right Avant, as i said earlier my mother qualifies for motability but has opted against it as for alot of people it doesnt make sense financially. For a start she'd need a large automatic with large front doors (thats Micra out then) and nothing in the 'free' band matches those requirements so she'd have to pay money for a car she has to hand back after three years, she prefers to own her own car and know nobody will take it away. She does make use of her free car tax mind, it says disabled on the tax disc with £00.00. And of course she has a blue badge as without it there wouldnt be any point in her bothering to leave the house.

I have no problem in my tax money going to help disabled people become as mobile as possible and live as normally as possible, thats one of the best uses of tax you can come up with when you consider the billions we give in Aid to countries with space programs.

Edited by jamie745 on 17/09/2011 at 16:06

all - The Long View - missed a future seismic shift? - brum

Anyone guess which models will be hit hardest?

I reckon Citroen C4 Grand Picasso will have its UK market evaporate by 80%+. Some juicy bargains to be had in 2 - 3 years time.

Ford Fusion as well surely and alot of the heavily depreciating Korean cars. And practically every Honda.

Edited by jamie745 on 17/09/2011 at 17:11