How Reliable Is Your Car? - jamie745

Just been reading the 2011 reliability survey on What Car and the top 10 is no surprise to anybody that its dominated by the Japanese and Koreans. With (in ascending order) Nissan, Kia, Hyundai, Subaru, Mazda, Suzuki, Mitsubishi, Lexus, Toyota and Honda making up the top ten. Honda recording only a 9% failure rate with apparently the 99-03 Accord being their worst performer but even that is in the top 10 for family cars.

What is surprising is that Citroen, Fiat and Peugeot, not firms renowned for reliability all ranked above BMW, VW, Volvo and Audi with Mercedes Benz languishing in 27th place.

Thoughts?

How Reliable Is Your Car? - RT

The problem with such surveys is that they concentrate on repair cost, not reliability - it's not unreasonable to expect a £60,000 car to cost 3x the repair cost of a £20,000 car if they both have the same reliability.

So of course the results are skewed in favour of brands with cheaper models at the expense of brands with expensive models.

It's the survey title "Car Reliability" that's the problem, not the information given. It should be entitled "Car Ownership Cost Survey"

Well these figures are only on cars which have a warranty with Warranty Direct. And they also focus on which areas of the cars are responsible for the most failures, the percentage of the models which require repair etc so it can give us a reasonable idea. Nobody will be surprised at the top ten, when people come on here asking for reliable cars we all say Japanese or Korean. To see the amount of failures on Mercedes is quite shocking, for cars costing so much you do expect it to be reasonably well put together. The SL is the worst offender though.

What was nice to see is the Peugeot 406 ranked 6th on reliability for family cars despite going out of production in 2004. Of course you could say ones still on the road have already had major problems fixed by now.

How Reliable Is Your Car? - SteveLee

I've owned many Citroëns - never been stranded by one - same for my many Jags. My last Citroën (a C5) had a few silly niggles but it never missed a beat in 5 years - I drive around 20K miles per year. The XJ8 4.0 I had before that never missed a beat in 170K miles, the current owner has just taken it past 210K miles. My XJR was superb.

How Reliable Is Your Car? - mlj

Interesting how public perceptions of cars and 'brand values' are measured against an individual's owner experience.

My most recent three.

VW. Great car, whollly incompetent and unapologetic dealers. End result: I will never buy another.

Toyota. Car with design fault. Total engine replacement at 50K miles. Fantastic service and support. Will buy again.

Citroen. One rear door lock replaced under warranty. Wholly reliable since new, currently at 66K miles, no intention to change in immediate future. Service is unacceptably expensive, more than twice the cost of Toyota like for like. Am now using much more sensible local independent. Might buy again.

Edited by mlj on 13/09/2011 at 20:43

How Reliable Is Your Car? - Roly93

The problem with such surveys is that they concentrate on repair cost, not reliability - it's not unreasonable to expect a £60,000 car to cost 3x the repair cost of a £20,000 car if they both have the same reliability.

Also, they dont take into account the demographic of people who buy the cars. Anyone buying a £30K Merc or Audi is prbably planning to do some serious driving like myself who does around 20K per year. A lot of Japanese cars are bought by people who may be retired and do 5-6K per years and keep the cars wrapped in cotton wool,figuratively speaking. If they took into account faults vs mileage it would be a start.

They do include information on the average mileage of the models covered by their warranty.

How Reliable Is Your Car? - balleballe

very suprised with the top 2.

I thought Nissan went downhill once they combined with Renault?

Never thought i'd see kia in the top 5!

I'll point out again i said ascending order. Nissan and Kia are 10th and 9th.

How Reliable Is Your Car? - balleballe

must've missed that part lol.

Good old honda - looks more and more likely my next car will be one of theirs

You know whats strange, everytime these lists come out its always dominated by Japanese and increasingly Korean firms. But ive never, ever, ever considered buying any of them.

I know a Honda and a Toyota etc are stunningly well made and bulletproof but they're so mind numbingly boring i just cant bring myself to think of buying one.

How Reliable Is Your Car? - gordonbennet

I know a Honda and a Toyota etc are stunningly well made and bulletproof but they're so mind numbingly boring i just cant bring myself to think of buying one.

Think laterally then, consider a Lexus which is a posh Toyota anyway.

Note since Lexus has offered smaller cars, Camry has vanished from the scene in Toyota UK line up, you wouldn't pay for an IS when Camry is as good as it is unless the badge was important.

Don't think for a minute Lexus is dull, consider a GS450h, big brother to the Prius that pleasantly surprised you recently, JagR type performance but church like silence with £235 VED and 30+ mpg town and country unless you thrash it. The only downside to one of these is the silly little boot space caused by the battery pack, shame about that.

GS430 V8 then if you don't mind the high VED and Jag like fuel consumption.

Edited by gordonbennet on 14/09/2011 at 15:11

Well i own a petrol S-Type with £460 tax disc and everything but seeing as i work 7 miles from where i live it really doesnt matter, others arent so lucky im fully aware. I always wanted a car like this so decided to have a year of it while it was still possible. Although to be fair to it, for a big 3 litre petrol automatic its surprisingly economical if you drive it with a small bit of thought.

I know Lexus is just a posh Toyota and i know about the GS hybrid thing but in my opinion its too expensive for what it is, especially as normal big petrol cars are diving in price. You're right the Prius did pleasantly surprise me recently it has its plus points but i still probably wont buy such a thing until its unavoidable but it was nice to know that when im eventually forced into an eco box it definately wont be as bad as i thought.

How Reliable Is Your Car? - oldroverboy

My car, chevrolet epica is utterly reliable, but the dealer service experience has left me so bitter that I will NEVER buy a chevrolet again, or any GM product. While I still have the car it will be serviced using the correct oils and original parts supplied by me to a local garage. my previous mgzt was ok till HGF reared up, before that the lacetti estate was ok till it started running rough at year 3 end, and before that I had Rovers for 20 years with no warranty problems at all, but those were either the diesels or the 1.4 k series, and a magnificent honda engined v6 2.7 litre vitesse. Just a bit off this topic though had a look at a new mg6 in the dealers here, production model, much better finish than the one i saw at launch, but seating is poor for my 6'2".

How Reliable Is Your Car? - Bobbin Threadbare

My Mazda has been so reliable I would have another for sure. I am well impressed with it. But then it was already almost 5 years old when I bought it, from a small dealership (no premises - puts the stocklist on the web and you ask to see the ones you like). Kwikfit haven't let me down with the servicing either! The only things that have gone awry are the standard things you'd expect to replace anyway; I have had a new tyre due to a slow puncture, and a headlight bulb. The Focus I had before was also brilliant but the clutch gave out at 86k.

I looked at the Epica a while ago im glad to hear you've found it pretty sturdy. I went and had a detailed look at the Lexus hybrid and anything which posts performance figures like that in a big car full of leather and wood gets my undivided attention. Currently too expensive though but its a very nice car.

Im not totally sure what im going to have next, i bought the Jag knowing in a few years time with fuel prices etc it simply wouldnt be possible, especially if i change jobs and work further away. I'll sell it after its re-tax and re-MOT at the end of next summer and seeing as i got a good deal on it i aim to sell it for what i paid for it. The 406, one of my favourite cars ever made (except for the engine braking which is annoying on an automatic) is currently SORN-ed in a mates garage, its a snow warrior so if forecasts are right and we get a blizzard i can tax it up and use it but that will probably go next year as well, part ex-ed against something else.

That'll be money in the bank and a choice to make, invest in an eco box (location of employment will affect this decision) or bank the money, buy something cheap and luxurious, maybe a Rover 75 or something and have another few years luxury motoring.

How Reliable Is Your Car? - NARU

Current cars:

Honda Jazz. 6 years old. No breakdowns. Did have a small problem selecting reverse gear, linkage sorted by dealer under warranty

Toyota Landcruiser 4.5 years. No breakdowns. Slight bump when coming to a stop. Needed propshaft greasing. When it re-occured they replaced the propshaft.

Mazda Mx-5. No breakdowns. Had a rattle from the instrument cowl. Fixed under warranty.

Previous cars (since 2000):

Mondeo. Several minor faults and one major (turbo failed @ 60,000 miles).

BMw 330d. No breakdowns but lots of niggles - EGR valve and handbrake mainly.

Saab 9-5 Aero. No breakdowns