Ford Focus 1.6TDCI 55 Plate - Major Oil Leak Possibly Turbo - 3puddings

I have a major oil leak around the top of the turbo cylinder, lost about 1/8 of the oil in the car on a 40 mile commute up the M6 this morning, any advice on what to check before I take it into the garage would be appreciated.

Ford Focus 1.6TDCI 55 Plate - Major Oil Leak Possibly Turbo - Peter D

You will have to detail exactly where the oil is coming from I do not now what a "turbo cylinder" is. Regards Peter

picasaweb.google.com/Karl.3Puddings/FocusOilLeak?a...k

That is the best photo I can get of it

Ford Focus 1.6TDCI 55 Plate - Major Oil Leak Possibly Turbo - dieselnut

Your photo's seem to show the air trunking pipe between the turbo/ intercooler/ inlet.

It is normal for turbo's to pass some oil past their bearings into this area & for the oil to drip from the odd joint. The amount in the picture seems small & wouldn't account for the 1/8th engine oil. You need to check carefully the amount of oil being used over a recorded distance. Wipe up the oil spill & see if it re-occures.

If it is passing the amount you indicate through the turbo be very carefull, as the engine could run away on this oil & destroy itself

I have not has a significant loss of oil on a 80 mile round trip on the M6 over the last day having had a close look at seems like the oil is coming from the rubber connector on the exhaust side and not getting into the Turbo the connectors to that side are all clean, but I have been careful to keep the revs down so that the Turbo does not engage.

There is a small amount of blue smoke coming from the exhaust which I willl investigate further but the first step will be to replace that hose and see what happens. I would be interested if anyone has any thoughts on where it could be coming from.

Thanks for the response