How much do you pay for insurance? - jamie745

With alot of talk around rising premiums i thought this could be an interesting topic. Let us know how much you pay per year, what the car is and any other information if you feel comfortable sharing, age, area of the country etc :)

How much do you pay for insurance? - expatsFL

Range Rover and Hyundai Elantra, $2200 a year! Triumph Trophy 1200 $170 a year!.(But the wife loves to yak on the phone and speed, oh and jump lights too). Located til Dec in Floriduh

Moral, get a bike!

How much do you pay for insurance? - Bobbin Threadbare

Nosy pokes! Fine. £501 for a 1.8L petrol Mazda 6 with license held for 3 years, 3 years NCB and no record. Got Mr B insured on it too. You know I am in a city in the dark, drizzly north of England. I've got a damn garage now and it still costs more than where I used to live..!!!! It makes me sad that I had that Focus down to £340. Grrr!

Its still the 1 on the end which gets me! not £500 but £501!

£470 on Jaguar S-Type 3.0 V6 SE Auto. 8 Years no claims, 27 years old and insured for just me, parked on driveway in a seemingly good east anglian postcode. It will be interesting to see how these prices vary across the country, out of interest i put a manchester postcode in on my details and it came out at six times more!

Well maybe they thought I wouldn't believe the quote if it was £500 on the nose.

My sis parks her little tiny car in the middle of Liverpool city centre, L3 postcode. £1200 on a 1 litre flipping Lego car. Super!

Crikey moses! I dont want to annoy anybody who is paying a stupidly high premium and they have my sympathies, i know im very lucky to happen to live in a good postcode is what helped me get sort-of reasonable quotes when i was 20ish but i have been surprised at how cheap insurance is for me now. Like that Prius i reviewed, £284?! I was comparing running costs to a 1.6TDCi Fiesta which came out at £268 to insure for me.

I never thought i'd see the day to be honest.

How much do you pay for insurance? - alan kearn

2002 Polo 1.4 tdi pd .

OAP (senior citizen ) if it does make a difference.

£280 full comp, protected no claims,legal help.

garaged

respectable area S26

How much do you pay for insurance? - mustangman

2009 Golf 1.4 tsi dsg

Outer B'ham, parked on drive

In my late 50's SWIMBO inc.

£ 295 with courtesy car & protected NC. & business use

How much do you pay for insurance? - colinh

2008 Kia cee'd 2.0 auto

NW Spain - garaged - rural area

Retired (just passed medical for 5 more years) - 7 years no-claims

£420 comp + breakdown cover

Probably a more interesting figure with recent news - increase on last year 4.5%

How much do you pay for insurance? - Andy P

£500 for my '07 BMW335d SE (old, 15+ years NCB, garaged with the usual options - protected NCB, legal, hire car etc.).

How much do you pay for insurance? - Falkirk Bairn

Comp with Esure - still the cheapest of "known insurers" after 10 years with same insurer

07 Xtrail £194, £200 excess, SWMBO is only extra driver, they wanted £250 to add my 38yr son as a casual user - better with day cover for the odd day he might drive car.

98 Xedos 6 £147, £200 excess SWMBO is only extra driver

Xedos is worth very little but 3rd party F&T was £25.00 more expensive than Comp

Area - Central Scotland - clue is in my name

How much do you pay for insurance? - Gazzadfc

Hyundai IX35 Premium 1.7 CRDI

£360 fully comp with Hastings Direct - 9 yrs NCB (protected), 10k miles a year, 3 points (sp30), wifey as a named driver, also live in the North East of England.

How much do you pay for insurance? - Auristocrat

With alot of talk around rising premiums i thought this could be an interesting topic.

2009 Toyota Auris 1.33 TR.

Fully comp insurance with Frizzells (LV). Guaranteed no claims discount. Partner as named driver (she also has her own car for which she is the main driver) - class 1 business use for both of us. Live in Birmingham. £ 50 accidental damage excess. Premium £ 320

Edited by Auristocrat on 10/09/2011 at 11:53

How much do you pay for insurance? - mlj

I might have the cheapest so far. 135 fully comp. Berlingo in deepestish Cornwall. Many years NCD.

How much do you pay for insurance? - toblerone

26 Year old male, just outside of Preston (PR4). 4 years ncb.

2011 Peugeot 207 Envy 1.4 HDI

Business use, legal, courtesy car, protected ncb. 20k miles pa. £250 excess

£452.83

Edited by toblerone on 10/09/2011 at 14:18

How much do you pay for insurance? - Collos25

No two people are the same therefore the results are meaningless.

How much do you pay for insurance? - Boulder2k9

Living in a respectable area of Dublin 6. 19 years old Alfa 156 1.6. 1 year NCB

Insurance for the year fully comp €1600! Car is worth about the same!

159man thats not that bad to be honest, theres places in northern england where it'd be alot more.

Edited by Avant on 10/09/2011 at 19:25

Do you have to post negative comments jamie 745? If you don't like the comment then dont read it, go somewhere etc etc.

I thought Collos' comment valid in that he expressed a view about the thread. As usual, a post you don't agree with gets the full jamie 745 treatment.

And in the light of collos' comment. your response to 159man sort of lends weight to his point.

(Edit - thanks for that; MLJ: this refers to a comment which I had to delete because it was personal. I have asked him not to make personal remarks but as usual he thinks he knows best.)

Edited by Avant on 10/09/2011 at 19:30

159 mans post suggests young people in Ireland on an Alfa costs more than an old person in Devon on a Hyundai, well yes. Obviously everyone is different if they werent there'd be no point in the thread cos we'd all be paying the same wouldnt we? So if anything 159 mans post fully vindicates MY point not his.

Edited by Avant on 10/09/2011 at 19:27

Jamie, you must be reading something I can't see here in Cornwall! I can't see where 159man suggests an old man in Devon with a Hyundai (Elantra?) pays less.

Could you consider that a discussion should allow a frank exchange of views and not be treated as a competition?

'Verbal kick in."?

'Dismissive useless negative posts'?

Some of yours fit the bill. I am appreciative of the effort you are putting into this forum and you have certainly created many threads of interest. I would just like to see some tolerance.

An old person in Cornwall with very cheap car insurance.

I didnt say 159 man suggested anything. I said a 19 year old in Ireland on an Alfa will pay more than a pensioner in Devon on a Hyundai, that much we know already. The point of the thread is how much? Of course everybodies different, as Collos says and thats the point! If we werent there'd be no point in the thread as we'd all be paying the same. Thus far most of the cars have been relatively basic in reasonably good postcodes by safe experienced drivers so theres been very little variaton, it wasnt long ago we had a 48 year old man with a clean driving record get quoted £1500 to renew his Polo insurance or something due to him living in Salford, that sort of thing is interesting to know.

I just felt with insurance being a hot topic of late this would be an interesting discussion.

The thing that annoys me is when you move to an insurer on price. Two years (in my experience) later the premium jumps through the roof. I understand that Insurance companies operate on the basis that most customers can't be bothered to look elsewhere but this must bring diminishing returns. My current policy is bog standard but is cheap. I got it through a comparison site. (Think moustachioed singer.) When my renewal is due they present me with the cheapest option. I like it. I like phoning Insurance companies to tell them they have lost my business because of their inflated premium.

A small victory, but a victory nevertheless.

Next time im going through a well known comparison site which is associated with a meerkat of some sort to get my meerkat toy.

Its quite bizarre how they're so willing to give you a low price to get you on board but then start charging you the earth the following year. Its always worth looking around at renewal time, without question. No company treats existing customers with the same respect as new ones which surely means for each one who joins another one leaves?

I tried all of them. The singer with the moustache does it every time. Recommended.

Yeah I suppose but Insurance in Ireland is still crazy expensive though. When I was 17 having passed the test etc the quote was €3700!

I think in my experience insurance in the UK differs hugely from area to area and not so much here across the sea. Not huge difference between quotes in Dublin and Cork for example...

Yeah I suppose but Insurance in Ireland is still crazy expensive though. When I was 17 having passed the test etc the quote was €3700!

I think in my experience insurance in the UK differs hugely from area to area and not so much here across the sea. Not huge difference between quotes in Dublin and Cork for example...

How much do you pay for insurance? - Marc4Six

53 plate BMW 330Ci Sport

Fully comp insurance with Insure. Protected no claims discount. Live in the South West. Premium £295

How much do you pay for insurance? - OldSkoOL

£460 - 335d coupe, 9+ NCB, Protected NCB me and the wife, 28 years old.

How much do you pay for insurance? - mark.b

l4 postcode 2000 x plate civic 5dr 1.4 myself an missus, 5yrs ncb £1323 tpft down from the £1800 our last insurer wanted at renewal,when we asked them why our insurance quote was £1800 up from £1498 their reply was "well a lot of people have had accidents",so we asked "have we had an accident",their reply "no" our reply "we wont be renewing" this is one industry that needs looking into as they can basicly charge what they b***** want

How much do you pay for insurance? - sb10

this is one industry that needs looking into as they can basicly charge what they b***** want

Yep they certainly do sharpish

They also need to sort out those that dont pay for insurance instead of passing it on to us

My 18 year old Daughter passed her test a month ago but wont get a car yet as the best price she could get was £3250.79p, worst was 8 grand, she could buy a new car cheaper than that, car she wanted to insure was a Toyota Corolla 1332cc hatch 1998 but as said she didnt bother in the end South of the thames this is but even so shouldnt be that bad

Yes its quite ridiculous that law abiding motorists have to pay up extra to cover 'losses' from people who dont pay for insurance. We shouldnt be covering it all on their behalf. But with prices like £3,000 on a 13 year old Corolla, thats around 20% of the average wage in the UK, its no surprise people either drive without it or give up and struggle to better themselves when the simple task of transporting yourself from one place to another is made impossibly expensive. Transport is the lifeblood of any economy and with transport being so expensive it is a major problem and in my view the economic recovery will severely stall as a result of that (if it hasnt already).

I was gonna whinge that mine seemed really high but then I read 159man's post and so I won't! Anyway, looking at toblerone's premium, it seems ok for where he and I live (I'm in PR2).

My first quote this year was with Aviva and they wanted €2250! To make matters worse a cousin of mine aged 18 with a provisional licence got put on her mothers insurance for just €500!

How is that fair? Answer it isn't. :)

Let me guess, it was a girl cousin wasnt it? (Sorry just seen you said 'her', confirms my suspicion) Ive come across instances of full licence holders putting a female provisional holder on their insurance it brings the price DOWN which makes zero sense what so ever.

The price is calibrated differently for provisional holders as they work on the assumption that the parent will of course be supervising them. When they pass their test they'll find the price actually goes up, as they'll be driving alone.

Edited by jamie745 on 11/09/2011 at 21:12

Of course twas a girl and sorry not to sound big headed but a poor driver at that, and insured on a 1.8!

My insurance fell greatly when I passed the test though..

How much do you pay for insurance? - George7

I'm 20 (but took out the policy when I was 19), I have an 11 year old Ford Focus 1.6, live in an average East Anglian postcode, I have 1 year or NCB and paid £789 for my last renewal. Looking at upgrading to a Ford Cougar 2.5 V6 which would bump it up to about 1250. Not bad considering my age, but still a lot.

Edited by George7 on 12/09/2011 at 14:48

Its not too bad but i'd leave it another year or even two then it will be considerably less. Great car though the Cougar, one of those great accidents of car design i think, ahead of its time but looks great now.

How much do you pay for insurance? - Ethan Edwards

Well 2.5 auto Xtrail. Not a million miles from that largest Gypsy camp in Europe (yes the one thats in the news about an eviction). Full NCD, Garaged, 8K a year youngest driver is nearly 50. runs on LPG , huge 3 inch dia steel bars all round -keeps clumsy parkers at bay. That and wandering Rhino's...well I haven't seen any so they do work.

Last year £292 full comp just had a renewal in....£266. everyone's moaning cos Insurance is going up....mine goes down. I'll still shop around but imo thats pretty good. Elephant.

How much do you pay for insurance? - 1litregolfeater

In a previous post I said that the government might have to regulate the insurance industry.

It does seem like they are following my advice, so posting on Honest John's forums has been proven to work.

However, I feel that their proposed measures are too weak. They propose to ban selling private data, but I really can't see their ideas knocking the knees out under the greedy profiteers.

What we need are laws on the insurance industry that make insurance a realistic proposal again, so we don't get so many people taking a chance, and make this country a community again instead of a list of victims.

You'd have thought selling private data would already be banned really wouldnt you. Referal fees are the biggest problem, something which happens top-down but instead of deal with this they pass laws like continious insurance, blaming it all on the people who its easier to hit - those at the bottom.

The problem is most insurance companies are subsideries of banks, Direct Line (who im with) are part of RBS for example and the moment the Government told banks to repay the taxpayer, insurance premiums got ratcheted up. Co-incidence? RBS need to get hold of real cold hard cash not fake money, which was also evident last year with their role in the sale of Liverpool Football Club, they had no interest in taking the fat Texans fake money.

This Government wont do much to the insurance industry, you might get some noisy Lib Dems but ultimately the Conservatives are in charge and strict control and supervision over private companies in the 'free market' would be a massive change of tact. Tories, newspaper chiefs, bankers, insurance execs etc they all share a cab. And dont think it'll change in five years time either because with Ed Miliband shooting himself in the foot by criticising TUC led strikes when he led the f-*word avant will not like*-ing protest will see him struggling to get votes even from his parties core activists.

I'm all for a total ban on selling private data.

May I suggest a start be made by the DVLA in selling registered keeper details to everyone within a certain special grouping.

That grouping being anyone who asks for it and has £2.50 to spend-so that's a very exclusive grouping isn't it.. Every Parking chancer spiv and thug who can find £2.50 can get all your personal information...nice.

The Government say they make no money from provision of this 'service' so let's save them and us some cash by the DVLA only releasing keeper details to Police forces and possibly councils/Cong charge operators like TfL.

It depends what sort of data you mean. If you're referring to the car check things then that is vital for car buyers and prevents people buying a car which is stolen, finance owing, insurance write off, on false plates etc etc that information should be available for free i dont even see why you should have to pay to ensure the car you're buying is genuine. If people didnt have access to that it only plays into the hands of dishonest dealers and car thieves and we dont want that do we. Knowledge is power and all that.

Jamie that sort of data comes from other databases such as HPI, MID etc, not the DVLA. the DVLA don't know about finance they only know whats on the V5.

I'm talking about the registered keepers Name and address. So you can enjoy the benefit of private scam artists issuing you with Penalty Charge documentation thats very close to official PCN's say for the heinous crime of overstaying in a Maccy'D's or a BP garage's car parking area.

Well thats the kind of data i meant. The sort of data you can acquire to ensure you're not buying a stolen lemon is a good idea. But it is odd that in the day and age of being told to shred our letters to hide our identities that the DVLA will sell them to anybody for a couple of quid.

How much do you pay for insurance? - The Gingerous One

Mazda 6 2.0, 2005

PR6 postcode, about £375. inc business use but no car hire nor protected NCB. Wife is named driver. Aged 40 with 10+ years NCB but a couple of non-faults crashes in that time. One of them was this year so we'll see what happens come renewal time.

As an aside, I resent having to pay more than £400/yr and generally do my best to ensure that it is less than that.

Haha! Look at all of us Mazda 6 owners coming out of the woodwork! A damn good car!

How much do you pay for insurance? - Ben 10

On the subject of insurance and buying a car. Can you get temporary insurance for a one off payment for an hour say, to test drive someone elses car that they are selling. As most policies don't cover this eventuality.

If not, wouldn't it be a gap in the market. You phone your insurance company, who have all your details, get cover comprehensive to allow you to drive the vendors car for up to an hour. This would give the buyer a feel for the test drive and give peace of mind to the vendor in case the worst happens. £25 would be reasonable in my view.

It may have been an ideal gap in the market until the new laws came in this year which states if your car is taxed it must be insured at all times, and if its not taxed then you cant use it on the road for a test drive (unless you're a dealer with trade plates and appropriate trade insurance of course).

So I'm a private seller with normal insurance to cover my car for myself only and taxed. The potential buyer has his car insured and taxed. He is not as far as I'm aware insured to test drive my car.Maybe third party, but that is not sufficient for me to let him at my wheel. What bridges that gap?

If it were me, I would not purchase a private vehicle until I drove it. And obviously he's not going to let me at his wheel if my policy doesn't cover any potential damage to his car. Hence the dilema. This has nothing to do with not having tax or insurance or for dealers. I think you got the point of my post a bit skewed. Do you see my point now.

In that case surely the 'gap in the market' would be for insurers to include at a small nominal fee, cover to drive other peoples vehicles at the same level of cover they have on their own car.

Blimey Jamie, the penny finally dropped ;-)

If even i can work it out you'd think insurers would be hot on it already.