Audi 80 2.0E 1995 model - Fuel economy - mak

I am sure I read an article ages ago regarding a fuel economy run that it was best to drive a car at it's torque speed in top gear. On my car this is 124bhp at 3200rpm which equates to a speed of 74mph. This is clearly too fast to be fuel economical and perhaps I have confused effeciency with economy. Is torque speed economical?

At the moment I am getting in the order of around 40mpg on a 200 mile round trip mainly on dual carriage roads and motorway travelling at 65-70 mph. I was hoping for more and have carried out all the advise as given on various sites on fuel economy. Going slower than 65mph runs me into trouble with HGVs.

Audi 80 2.0E 1995 model - Fuel economy - unthrottled

perhaps I have confused effeciency with economy.

Bang on. Peak engine efficiency is always slightly below peak torque RPM and usually about 80% of available torque at this RPM. At lower load, mechanical losses dominate. At maximum torque, spark retard and enrichment reduce efficiency. At very low engine speed, heat losses from the combustion chamber dominate. At higher engine speed, mechanical losses dominate. This all gives rise to efficiency island which make up the brake specific fuel consumption map.

As far as fuel economy goes, it depends on engine size, gearing, and aerodynamics. Air resistance always wins at high speeds. At 40mph rolling resistance and air resistance are roughly equal. The power required to overcome air resistance rises with the CUBE of speed, so the battle is hopeless. With your engine combination, best economy comes in at ~50-60mph.

Like most older cars, your top gear is ridiculously low. 74mph requires maybe 40hp on flat ground. At 3200 RPM that only equates to ~65lbf.ft torque-about half the available torque.

Audi 80 2.0E 1995 model - Fuel economy - Avant

40 mpg from a 2-litre petrol sounds good by any standards, particularly for a 16-year-old car. It would be poor for a diesel, but 2.0E sounds like a petrol.