Volkswagen Passat - Diesel black smoke - ba_barabus

Hi all,

I'm getting a bit concerned about my 2006 Passat TDI PD 105bhp.

It has covered 130k miles however I've noticed that it has started to smoke quiet a bit and is now sounding loud for a few minutes after start up.

It has 130k miles, it's never been run low on oil, it has a full service history and the correct grade of oil is being used.

There is also white smoke for a second or two upon start up

Any ideas?

Edited by ba_barabus on 07/09/2011 at 17:09

Volkswagen Passat - Diesel black smoke - Bobbin Threadbare

White smoke and black smoke mean that the diesel is no longer being burnt properly. There's a lot of reasons why this could be. If you get both kinds of smoke then the common denominator is the fuel injectors.

Volkswagen Passat - Diesel black smoke - Roly93

Is it hard to start ?

Could just be glowplugs if so.

The problem got worse this evening.

I was pulling in to heavy trafffic and lost power. No warning lights appearred and everything worked ok once I restarted from the hard shoulder.

This evening it has become more difficult to start. It cuts out after starting up. On one occasion the glow plug warning light began to flash.

Volkswagen Passat - Diesel black smoke - harry55
Hi mate. I'm niot an expert but have had problems with my VW Passat 2.0 sports. I bought it 4 weeks ago and grief! From what you say, you may have turbo issues, injector issues and/or boost reguation issues. Mine went into limp or safe mode to protect engine. You lose power suddenly. Get a diagnostics done for fault codes. A clean /flush may sort it out but maybe only for a while (sticky vanes due to oil, etc). Hope this helps.

It's highly probably I've bought laundered diesel fuel in the past few weeks.

There is a major problem with it in Ireland at the minute