Best Speed Camera Detector - koksieboy

Hi all,

Not sure if this topic is allowed on the forum but I'm looking for a speed camera detector to compliment factory fitted satnav. Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

Best Speed Camera Detector - Bobbin Threadbare

You can get lots of those at varying prices just from Halfords. My old TomTom system (on a PDA-type mobile phone) used to tell me where there were cameras by beeping, but that is obviously built into the map rather than actively detecting anything.

Have a look at a website called 'radardetectors'.

Edited by Bobbin Threadbare on 06/09/2011 at 14:05

Best Speed Camera Detector - jamie745

The Snooper Linx is a pretty clever piece of kit, costs around £100-150 but if you think about it thats merely a couple of fines avoided then its paid for itself!

Best Speed Camera Detector - unthrottled

I'm suspicious of anything that claims to be more than a map of the locations of fixed speed cameras. It is not possible to 'detect' a radar gun unless it is actually operating-at which point it is probably aimed at your car and it is too late to do anything about it!

The LIDAR guns use light rather than radar and cannot be detected.

Sorry.

I want that James Bond trick and have a button in my car to flip the number plate to someone elses one as i drive past a speed camera.

Best Speed Camera Detector - Falkirk Bairn

Best Speed Camera Detector?

SWMBO

Best Speed Camera Detector - Paul G1pdc

I use a Nokia "xpressMusic" 'Phone, bought 18months ago from ebay for £90.

its got free built in satnav, and you can set a speed alert and change the tolerance, ie in a 30 limit it won't say "observe speed limit" until you travel at 34mph.

and set for 80 on the motorway. you can tweak it how you wish...

ie just enough so it doesn't alert you all the time, but when it does you need to drop down a tad.

I used to work for a traffic safety company years ago, and the range on the police radar guns even back then were over 1mile....ie by the time any in car gizmo has beeped and done its thing your nicked....(they had 2 versions one was cheap and had a poor range, you could even make a fence break the speed limit by moving the gun...but the more expensive one.....hmmm nice toy...

we also have a proper satnav, a £100 tomtom with the location of the fixed cameras. of course doesn't help when the police have the mobile units on the motorway bridges and behind hedges at the bottom of hills....

Best Speed Camera Detector - Bobbin Threadbare

Laser systems can't really be avoided, as such, as it'll be a copper pointing the laser gun at your car and by the time any gadget detects it, you've already been nicked.

A copper with a radar gun has got about 180m range which has a cone diameter of about (scrappy maths here!) 10m. This means there's lots of scatter off other objects so the detectors are triggered. Gatsos don't have that range. They also have an infra-red camera on to take the photo of your numberplate!

Some of those detectors (at a basic level they're just radio receivers) will be 'all-band' and will be constantly beeping because of shop doors, traffic light cameras and so on.

It only became legal to use these devices back in May this year, and you can't use them in a lot of other EU countries or in the USA.

Best Speed Camera Detector - jc2

Try www.radardetectors.co.uk Everything on there,even number plate flippers!

Best Speed Camera Detector - koksieboy

I would check the above site. Thanks all.

Best Speed Camera Detector - expatsFL

Local plod here are str8 out of The dukes of hazard. In my end of the county, the deputies are all over the place with their detectors BUT speed detectors, lazer and laser are legal NOT illegal!

Best Speed Camera Detector - Collos25

They are illegal once you cross the channel and are also illegal if they do nott conform to the specific regulations.Most do not although not illegal to buy them it is illegal to use them in such cases much easier to comply to the limits.

Best Speed Camera Detector - Ethan Edwards

Best anti sCamera Greed equipment?

1/ Mk1 Eyeball

2/ GPS based (I have an added poi application onto my installed GPS unit in both cars).

3/ Radar dectector (kept out of sight when en France etc).

May I just add 'the usual sanctimonious rubbish' spouted about obeying yada yada yada. One Third etc etc etc.

There that save some people from feeling the need to post the usual speeding stuff.

I would quote Douglas Bader here.

Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 07/09/2011 at 12:38

Best Speed Camera Detector - davmal
If indeed he said this, Douglas Bader may well have said it with a hint of irony in his voice.
He lost both of his legs in a flying accident in the pre war years, after crashing whilst disobeying the current RAF rules governing landing in certain wind conditions. This caused great pain and ended his rugby career with Harlequins. Again, ironically, the amputation enhanced his wartime flying abilities
Rules are there for a reason, whether or not, you like or understand them.

Have you seen the penaltys for just having one in your car in France even if its in the boot better to pay the speeding fine.

Which just proves they dont really want people to slow down on them stretches, if that was 100% all they wanted (as they claim) then they'd praise any method which made people do that. Like the person who got arrested in the UK for flashing his lights at drivers in the opposite direction to warn of a mobile speed trap up ahead, he made it so as they slowed down, surely thats what the police want?

It proves what they REALLY want is for you to drive too fast so as they can fine you, they have no interest in people slowing down what so ever.

All the French want you to do is comply with the well signed speed limits nothing more nothing less no hidden agenda.

I dont know about the French but i do know theres most definately a hidden agenda here in Britain which nobody with any brain cell would disagree with and anybody who cant see it has their words barely audible from beneath the sand in which their head is buried.

Best Speed Camera Detector - Sofa Spud

The best speed camera detector is a combination of your eyes, road signs and knowledge of the deafult speed for the type of road you're on.

Best Speed Camera Detector - Sofa Spud

The best speed camera detector is a combination of your eyes, road signs and knowledge of the default speed for the type of road you're on.

I think speed camera detectors should be made ilegal here, since their purpose is to allow drivers to drive too fast UNLESS they know theyre approaching a camera.

What's much better would be a display on the dashboard showing what the speed limit is on the road you're on.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 07/09/2011 at 20:05

Best Speed Camera Detector - expatsFL

Just have some sort of maximum speed selection device in your, that senses what the limit is on the road you are driving on...and thats as fast as you can go. No need for cameras, plod with his mobile hairdryer device etc.

Great :)

@ Spud That kind of thinking only lets them off the hook. Its obvious they are out to catch people out or they wouldnt hide on blind bends, what about when they all used to be grey and behind a tree? The only reason you'd do that is to extract money from people not to slow people down. If all they wanted was for people to slow down on them sites then they'd praise speed camera detectors as it would slow them down, what they really want is for you to drive too fast and not see the camera is coming, or else they wouldnt make any money.

The slower we drive the more cameras appear, as they're 'losing money' if we dont speed, alot of jobs and pensions depend on people speeding and paying these fines, its in their interests for us to drive too fast so they put more cameras in, in more daft places, change the speed limit overnight, put a tree in the way to obscure the sign to purposely catch you out.

Accident statistics clearly show they've had no positive impact on accident rates, this is a fact, nobody would argue with fact so they're not saving lives, but they are raising money for someone, that much we do know. Im sorry to bleat about this and i know the whole 'if you dont go too fast you wont get fined' stuff but the fact is that its a tax. Its a tax on imperfections of being a human, any small imperfection they can find in a human they will tax you. And they tell you to avoid it you need to be perfect. Hitler also believed people should be punished for not being his view of perfect. Where will it go next? Three minutes late for a doctors appointment and a camera will flash you and send you a fine?

Its about time we started to encourage people to drive well and properly, not just slowly. Accident stats show all we've done is make accidents happen at a lower speed, thats hardly productive. A que of people staring at their speedo cos a Govt Piggy Bank is looming isnt good driving. People should be watching the road not staring at their speedo to protect their wallet because they might commit the unholy sin of doing 33mph! When i go past a speed camera i dont watch the road, i could take out an entire community of people, hearing heads going under the wheels and mangled wheelchairs and prams getting caught in the rear axle but i cant look at that i need to look at the speedo! This whole idea of the only way to improve road safety is by slowing people down is flawed and its too simple. Camera's are useless, i could drive past one on drugs, drunk, no tax, no mot, no insurance, no licence, a terrorist with 20 grand of cocaine and a machine gun in the car but so long as i do 29mph i'll be absolutely fine.

Remember one thing, it was a traffic officer who caught Peter Sutcliffe, not a camera.

Remember another thing, you're five times more likely to get away with rape in the UK than speeding.

*impersonates public information video*

Think. Always Stare At Your Speedo. Lives Depend On It

Im enjoying these rants, my cold at the weekend prevented me ranting, but now im back. Oh yes.

Edited by jamie745 on 07/09/2011 at 20:18

Ranting iscorrect with very few correct facts.The number of speed cameras in theUK has actually decreased I think you will admit there are far more occurences of speeding than rape by many thousand.

Edited by Avant on 07/09/2011 at 23:42

Best Speed Camera Detector - dadbif

Loads of info on here:-www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/jamlaw.htm

you pay your money and make your choice, lots of info on various kit including Laser (LIDAR) jammers

HTH

It seems the only two 'facts' i got wrong were of speed camera numbers and of rape statistics. The latter isnt true because that was referring to PROBABILITY of being prosecuted for the offence i didnt say more people rape than speed so total strawman. So the only thing i got wrong was claiming theres more cameras and im probably right on that as well. So not a bad rant then with 99% factual and correct.

(Edit - personal attacks removed. Jamie and Collos - will you both please keep this to a debate on speed cameras - no need for insults. The less ranting and the more reasoned debate, the less others get annoyed.)

Edited by Avant on 07/09/2011 at 23:43

Best Speed Camera Detector - fredthefifth

>>Best Speed Camera Detector?

>>SWMBO

I tend to agreed but on reflection the two times I have been caught (which were 10 years apart) SWMBO was in the car both times!! Never been done when on my own.

Now what is that saying?

Best Speed Camera Detector - Avant

"Now what is that saying?"

That she can't see the speedometer.

What does it say that Fred's been done for speeding twice when he was driving? Hmmm.

Best Speed Camera Detector - fredthefifth

I was distracted m'lord ..... and members of the jury.

Edited by fredthefifth on 10/09/2011 at 22:52

Best Speed Camera Detector - Dutchie

Speed camaras a pain in the backside.Gatso invented by a Hollander shame on him.>) I have been caught a few times used to drive test cars a lot.Linconshire at two in the morning no traffic.A couple of times on the M/Way about 90 by traffic plod.Jamie has a point they are cash cows burn em down.Also the handheld dryers have they got nothing better to do?

I have a better solution for cutting speeding. Who wants to hear my solution?

Instead of fining people who speed, the stick approach, why not go for the carrot approach? Make it so as every camera flashes every car regardless of speed and give a £1000 prize every day to a motorist who was recorded driving at or under the speed limit. Thats £365,000 a year which is a fraction of the cost of maintaining camera's and the red tape and jobsworths involved, and everybody would slow down, feeling a sense of entitlement to the prize.

Not only this but every camera would then have recorded evidence of any car without tax, mot, insurance etc which was on the road, they would be excluded from the prize draw obviously.