Peugeot 106 1.5 Diesel - Any ideas why this struggles to start? (video) - liammcl

Firstly, a HUGE thankyou to all who replied in my first post
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=90758

The cylinder head is back on & the car is running, with no bubbles in the coolant.
It's been a journey and a half, but I've learnt loads & will have a go on repairing things on the acr from now on.
Thanks again !

-----
What is happening now, as it was from day one, is the car struggles to start first thing in the morning.
It can take5 minutes of turnover until it starts to catch...

Here'it is starting , after it's been warmed up a bit
www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzZ-epgvrfg

and this is running when cold
www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2CVF6lvfSQ

It was doing this before, tha car has never run right
...I'm guessing it's the fuel injectors, or the fuel pump..

Is it easy enough to diagnose the problem?

At the moment the fuel has been in for 8 months,
& I have added 5 liters of fresh diesel.

First thing in the morning,
it just turns over and over without any cylinders firing for 100 turns...

Thanks
Liam

Peugeot 106 1.5 Diesel - Any ideas why this struggles to start? (video) - Big John

This could be a simple fuel leak or fuel pump issue BUT if I remember correctly this engine also had a valve clearance issue with slightly worn engines when cold casing compression leaks past the valves. Check the tappet clearances they will probably be too tight - I think they were adjusted by shims.

Peugeot 106 1.5 Diesel - Any ideas why this struggles to start? (video) - liammcl

Thanks John,

There was a chunk missing between the valves, if that's what you mean?

I don't think it had a valve clearance problem?
...but I will go and get some feelers tomorrow & check.the clearances

I'll post a video of the sound starting first thing in the morning , as to me , it sounds like it's not even trying to catch...

Cheers
Liam
ps I can't see any fuel leaks or drips.

Peugeot 106 1.5 Diesel - Any ideas why this struggles to start? (video) - injection doc

when it fires up is the exhaust a little blue and hazy ? if so its most likley drawing air into the pump.

If you can use a little piece of clear plastic piping between the fuel inlet and the feed pipe and check for air bubbles whilst running and when switched off.

Are you sure the camshaft timing and pump timming are set correctly ? if these are out slightly it can cause very relectant starting.

You should also have a compression test ! if its overheated it may be low on compression. this makes them very slow to start untill enough diesel has built up in the combustion ares to raise the compression. Astra 1.6d engines were notorious for this and if the cpompression cold was below 280psi per cy;linder they would not fire up !

Peugeot 106 1.5 Diesel - Any ideas why this struggles to start? (video) - Peter.N.

If that video of it running cold is typical it would appear that the compression and timing are OK as it is its idling smoothly. I would suggest doing what injection doc says and check for air ingress.

Thanks all ,

Injection Doc, I think the timing is lined up because all the timing holes match up.

Funny you should mention about the air, because yesterday,
in the pipe on the fuel injector pump,
I could see lots of air bubbles going thru as I primed it.
(btw, the car had been stood for months while I got round to doing the head gasket)

Today, there was a bubble in the see through pipe....
i103.photobucket.com/albums/m147/liammcl_2006/2010...g

Here are some videos,
what may be of note? , is I unscrewed the white thing from the bottom of the fuel filter and let some diesel out.
When I went back to try and start it again, it seemed? to have made a difference..

Looking for Bubbles whilst engine turning over
www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOm_kfnYoWs

Exhaust smoke on startup
www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx0MR6Xt3lM

Engine juddering when cold
www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5JAPkp6ATo

Sooty exhaust
www.youtube.com/watch?v=teh1gmFU0nw

Do the videos shed any light?

Cheers
Liam

Edited by liammcl on 06/09/2011 at 21:40

Peugeot 106 1.5 Diesel - Any ideas why this struggles to start? (video) - injection doc

That is a lot of smoke ! first lot is caused because of unburnt diesel, but when it starts to blow blue hazy and still running rough that would appear to be lots of air going through ! You shouldnt have any !

Put more diesel in the fuel tank first ! then check all the connections ! you wont see a leak if its small but air will pour in.

starter sounds very tired. Just because the holes line up doesnt mean the timing is spot on ! I always dial gause the cam and pump !

Thanks everyone for the replies, and sorry for the delay in posting..

I've discovered a bit of a show stopper, and probably the inital cause of the head gasket going in the first place !

It's the same as this fellas post
www.106owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?47558-wa...9
...but at £50 plus vat (in 2009) , the cost is too much...

Just for info, so far, I've
filled up the pressure release valve on the fuel filter housing,
swapped 4 fuel injectors from my other car,
checked all the 3 timing holes lined up.

I think it is the air in the fuel as people say, since if I pump the primer like mad it starts a lot better
Thanks all !

It was fun whilst it lasted but with 2 weeks go till the tax runs out,
I don't think it's worth spending anymore money on it...

Cheers all :o)
Liam

Just an update.............

Well good news,
I was going to take the leaking coolant pipe out to see if I could bodge a repair,
when I found both screws holding the heater exchange pipes to the block were loose.
I've put some instant gasket in & tigthened up & hey presto no more water leaks !

I am trying to see where the leak is in the fuel pipe, which is letting the air in.
I'm pushing hard on the primer and keeping the pressure on, in the hope that something will spray out, but nothing has so far...
Maybe it's a daft question, but could the air be coming in by the pipe from the diesel tank to the front of the car?

btw, it starts a LOT easier, if I push on the primer as it's turning over...it takes about 15 turns to go, rather than about 100 turns without...

Here's today's video, in mid-effort...alls back in ok now..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12sdyFFT40g

When the revs go up there is very little smoke...

Someone recommended bi-passing the primer and fuel filter by using a filter from Halfords & feeding it straight tio the injector...

Watch this space... :)
Cheers for now
Liam

Edited by liammcl on 11/09/2011 at 01:04

Peugeot 106 1.5 Diesel - Any ideas why this struggles to start? (video) - 659FBE

I may have mentioned this before, but Bosch VE pumps are very sensitive to air leaks at the fuel inlet and will not pull fuel from the tank unless all pipes and joints are sound.

The rubber tubing PSA use hardens with age - pipes nearer the engine suffer most as engine heat accelerates the process.

The main trouble spot on the TUD5 is the pipe which runs from the primer bulb outlet to the filter inlet on the cylinder head. This last joint will probably be loose due both to pipe hardening and engine movement. The brass spigot also has no groove.

Change this pipe and use proper clips.

Thanks 659,

I had a quick look tonight and there was a fair stream of bubbles passing through the tube.

As a botchit, I cut off both ends of the pipe from the primer to thr fule filter and refitted it,
...it seemed to help, but I'll know more tomorrow, when I do a cold start.
The bubbles seem to appear when there a vacuum, ie when I let go of the primer, bubbles appear. After 10 seconds running they appear too.

I have to get some jubilee clips and some hose from the hardware store tomorrow.

There is only 3 weeks tax left on the car, and I have no insurance to cover it...so I'll have to see what to do about that very soon !

Cheers Liam

Peugeot 106 1.5 Diesel - Any ideas why this struggles to start? (video) - Big John

Don't forget the insurance laws have now changed this year. If you don't have insurance you need to SORN it NOW otherwise you will have an unpleasant envelope landing on your doorstep.

Thanks Big John,
I don't have anywhere to put it when the tax runs out, so I'll prob scrap it, or sell it for spares...

Today, I started replacing tubes working back from the injection pump
and the fault seems to be from the tank to the primer.

I ended up trying a hose straight into a plastic can which worked great.
(In passing , it sucked all 5 litres thru in 10 minutes, is that normal?)

i103.photobucket.com/albums/m147/liammcl_2006/2010...g

Cheers Liam

so,
today I am trying to see where the fuel pickup unit is & checking the connections.
Maybe pricing some new tubing....I dunno if any fuel pipe will do...

lol, it surely has been a learning experience buying this car :)

Liam

Well, would you believe it....

This is the same car today, it started first time...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLuChDEEfww

I checked the clearances between the camshaft and the shims
& at least 3 had no space whatsover between them

As a test , I loosened the camshaft retaining bolts (to give a bit of play)
and all is good.

I may metal weld the nuts on , a botchit I know....but it was very nearly for the scrapper

Thanks All

Liam
ps this was it 2 days ago...ready for the tip
www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx0MR6Xt3lM

YUP,

This was a common problem a few years ago (hence my first post). It is all due to expansion and contraction of metals which is why it was fine when hot but when cold tappet clearance disappears causing compression leakages past the valves. I seem to remember it was possible to do the job properly without disturbing the cam etc. It has been a while though...

Do it properly, it is a littlte bit of effort but shouldn't be expensive.

Edited by Big John on 16/09/2011 at 00:22

Ah, I understand....Big John

when you said "this engine" ...
I thought you menat my particular one !, not a generic "this engine"

lol, I get there, eventually :)

I'll put it in for it's MOT and then decide what to do... fingers crossed

I never thought it would work tbh !

Many thanks
Liam