Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi PD Ambiente - Turbo Failure VAG (VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda)1.9TDi PD - David666

I currently own a 2006 Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi PD Ambiente which has only just completed 41,000 miles.
It has a FULL SKODA DEALER service history, the timing belt was replaced at 36,000 miles, everything
has been done EXACTLY as Skoda recommend.

The car has NEVER been thrashed or driven in anger.
I used to regularly get 60mpg over a tank of diesel.

3weeks ago whilst driving home, at a busy motorway junction, I was pulling out onto the roundabout and
suddenly, without any warning, noise or indication the car lost ALL POWER, engine dead, electronics alive,
but no engine, no brakes, no steering!!! It could have killed me!
Fortunately the oncoming vehicles managed to avoid my car and eventually some people pushed me to safety.

I have AA cover, so they assisted but the OBD2 laptop didn't report any engine fault codes whatsoever?
The engine still wouldn't start and some smoke was coming out of the turbo air-intake ducting as the AA
turned the engine over. He couldn't fix it at the roadside, so the car was taken to my nearest Skoda dealer,
the same place it goes for all services, timing belt exchange e.t.c.

After 2 days they diagnosed that:

(i) Turbo seized
(ii) Catastrophic turbo failure - turbine/fans disintegrated
(iii) Metal parts from turbo ended up inside intercooler

Their recommendation, to replace turbo £1200 + intercooler £500.
Cannot guarantee this will completely resolve issue, meatal parts may have reached engine!!
Also THEY ARE UNABLE TO CONFIRM THE ROOT CAUSE OF THE TURBO FAILURE!

Now, given that the car is only 5.5 years old, has only done 41,000 miles and has a FULL SKODA DEALER
SERVICE HISTORY, I would expect that Skoda would take some responsibility for this PREMATURE TURBO FAILURE.
However, they are saying that as the car is out of warranty (only 3 years with Skoda!), they are not
willing to pay anything towards the £1700 repair costs! The car is probably only worth £4000, so basically
it's half the value of the car!

I have heard that this particular Volkswagon Audi Group (VAG) turbo design has a known design fault, but
VAG are not admitting to it. The design fault is this:

The turbo relies entirely on engine oil to spin freely, it has no additional bearings, just oil.
The problem is that engine oil is fed to the turbo via a single braided pipe.
If the turbo is starved of oil for just 1 or 2 seconds it will seize and/or destroy itself.

It is easy to imagine that the likelyhood of this happening is fairly high, just a kink in the pipe,
some oil sludge or air bubbles is all it would take!

THIS IS A SERIOUS SAFETY ISSUE! There is no warning at all, then complete loss of engine power, brakes &
steering.

I would like to know if anyone has experienced similar issues with early turbo failure.
I personally would NEVER buy ANY VAG car again!

David.

Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi PD Ambiente - Turbo Failure VAG (VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda)1.9TDi PD - galileo

Any turbo starved of oil while running at high speed will seize and fail in a short time. A foreign object impacting the compressor or turbine wheel will also cause failure.

Turbo manufacturers use a variety of bearing designs and materials and bearing housing and oil feed and drain layouts also differ, but none will fully protect against inadequate supply or quality of oil.

Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi PD Ambiente - Turbo Failure VAG (VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda)1.9TDi PD - drivewell

but no engine, no brakes, no steering!!! It could have killed me!

THIS IS A SERIOUS SAFETY ISSUE! There is no warning at all, then complete loss of engine power, brakes &
steering.

This all sounds a bit hysterical. The car clearly still had brakes and steering. What it lost was power assistance to the brakes and steering. It was simply a case of press the brake pedal harder, and use more arm power to turn the wheel.

Cars can lose power assistance for any number of reasons. The original poster would have had exactly the same experience if his engine had simply cut out. It happens!

Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi PD Ambiente - Turbo Failure VAG (VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda)1.9TDi PD - unthrottled

Well the failed turbo wouldn't stop the engine spinning so the PAS and vacuum pump would still be operating anyway.

Some folks just like to blow up a mechanical failure into a perceived safety issue because they think VOSA will act as lawyers on their behalf and think that they'll get some compo.

You can easily spot a spurious safety issue whenever the possibility of wives and children being killed is raised.

Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi PD Ambiente - Turbo Failure VAG (VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda)1.9TDi PD - Peter.N.

I wonder what the oil change intervals are on this car, I'm sure many turbo failures are result of insufficient clean oil.

Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi PD Ambiente - Turbo Failure VAG (VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda)1.9TDi PD - madf

VAG are not admitting to it. The design fault is this:

The turbo relies entirely on engine oil to spin freely, it has no additional bearings, just oil.
The problem is that engine oil is fed to the turbo via a single braided pipe.
If the turbo is starved of oil for just 1 or 2 seconds it will seize and/or destroy itself.

It is easy to imagine that the likelyhood of this happening is fairly high, just a kink in the pipe,
some oil sludge or air bubbles is all it would take!

David.

That is a standard worldwide design on almost every car ever made with a turbo.

Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi PD Ambiente - Turbo Failure VAG (VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda)1.9TDi PD - JohnM{P}

As previously reported here, when my 2005 1.9TDi (at 103k miles) lost all power during a gentle downhill mottorway cruise and refused to restart, it was diagnosed as turbo failure. VW trusted dealer said that this was due to vane breakup, not bearing seizure. They had suspected the turbo and this was confirmed when they disconnected the outlet and the engine (breathing atmo air) started immediately. Air could not get through the turbo compressor without it turning.

HJ had reported in Car by Car that there were many turbo problems - seems to me that besides the issue of dirty/low oil causing seizure (presumably common to all manufacturers), there was another design or mfg problem with 2005/2006 1.9 TDi engines specifically.