Ford Focus - Air con problem - smads
Hello all

I have a 2006 ford focus 1.8 tdci, just recently the air con has stopped working.
i took it to a garage to have it re gassed and was told gas levels were ok.
Since then i have checked fuses all ok, Relay is energising, high and low pressure switchs are ok but the compressor isnt kicking in.

Yesterday disconnenected the Compressor plug and accross the 2 Pins i have 14v.
What are the two pins i tested is one a earth for the compressor? is there a separate earth that could be bad, im lost, would like it to be something else other then the compressor

many thanks
Ford Focus - Air con problem - Peter D

Measure the resistance across the two sockets on the compressor and the resistance from each pin to the case of the compressor you should be able to detect the magnetic clutch coil. Post the results in your thread. Regards Peter

Hi peter I got 8.4 ohms on both tests

Well it sounds as it the coil is OK. There were 3 tests !. There was an issue with reshimming the clutch disengaged clearance if it wears it can fial to pull in. Check on the focus forum for the set up. However you could take a feed firctly to the compressor with the engine off so you can hear the clutch pull in. Regards Peter

Edited by Peter D on 31/08/2011 at 11:12

Hi peter I'm going to dig further on Friday, will feed the clutch directly off the battery ands sees what happens , but I've also compared the gap on the clutch to my mates focus and mine looks bigger will look into reshimming

Many thanks

If you power it up, make sure you apply power via a fuse and to the correct pin tap the clutch with the handle of a screwdriver, you may find the clutch pulls in confirming the problem. Regards Peter

Ford Focus - Air con problem - Railroad.

Smads. Just to advise you that a voltmeter measures potential difference and not presence of current. Checking voltage at the plug with it disconnected merely proves that as in this case there is a difference of 14 volts between the two points. It does NOT prove that current can flow, and so this is not a reliable test. A voltmeter is an excellent diagnostic tool for finding circuit faults, but checks must be done under load. Re-connect the plug and check again, especially if the coil resistance is good as you say it is. You may find that you may not have 14 volts at all with the plug connected, and so you may have a poor connection in the supply cable or a poor earth connection. Use your voltmeter to check each in turn.....