Audi a4 2.7 tdi - Horse trailer towing - oneill

Can an Audi A4 2.7 tdi tow a horse trailer?

Edited by Avant on 28/08/2011 at 22:03

Audi a4 2.7 tdi - Horse trailer towing - davmal

Depends on the trailer and horse really. If it's the 188 bhp model then there is adequate power, but the car is quite light compared to a decent trailer and horse, you could easily wind up in a "tail wagging the dog situation". It would be folly, and illegal, to tow anything more than the car's max towing weight. Noseweight could also be a problem. Simple answer is then yes it can tow one, but whether it will control it, or stop it, is a different matter. You need to get more info

Audi a4 2.7 tdi - Horse trailer towing - unthrottled

Use Parkers 'facts and figures' to get the relevant info. As Davmal says, permitted towing weight, has little to do with engine power. It's the ability to control and stop the trailer that is important.

The 2.7 is rated with the same towing capacity as the 3.0 TDI...and the 2.5 TDI....and the 2.0 TDI-1800kg-almost 4000lb. Even the 1.9 TDIis rated at 1700kg.

Audi a4 2.7 tdi - Horse trailer towing - Collos25

Tells you in the log book what weight you can tow,what do other people use to tow horse boxes .

Audi a4 2.7 tdi - Horse trailer towing - gordonbennet

Most double horse trailers weigh around a ton or over, add the weight of one decent nag, and you're getting close to maximum towing weight, which in itself isn't a problem as horse trailers are usually very stable (ho ho) and tow well.

FWD won't be much use if you venture off hard concrete whilst towing.

Another thing is that horse trailers being mostly tandem axled give the towing vehicle a hard time, my purpose built fibre glass bodied Dutch model had fully independent and very soft supension but that's not usual, a sturdy long lived Ifor is likely to not do your car much good over time.

There's good reasons behind most horse trailer users using robust 4WD's, being able to take the punishment dished out by the towed trailer is just one of them.

as horse trailers are usually very stable (ho ho)

Please shut the door on your way out Gordon.

Audi a4 2.7 tdi - Horse trailer towing - gordonbennet

Please shut the door on your way out Gordon.

:-))...the stable door, nay....

Audi a4 2.7 tdi - Horse trailer towing - piston power
what do other people use to tow horse boxes .

Discovery what else!! :-)
Audi a4 2.7 tdi - Horse trailer towing - SlidingPillar

Indeed, Discovery is a popular choice (my horsebox owning friend has one).

I've towed it with a Defender, and really, a heavy trailer should only be towed with 4wd or rear wheel drive. Get a heavy trailer stopped uphill, even on tarmac and with front wheel drive in the wet - you're not going anywhere.

Brakes are an issue too. A Frontera I had was well up to towing heavy trailers - but stopping? Another matter entirely...

Santa Fe is a popular choice. Not as rugged as a proper 4X4 but on road manners are much better.

Audi a4 2.7 tdi - Horse trailer towing - Bobbin Threadbare

I did see a Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian towing a horsebox the other day.

Is the Barbarian more macho than the Warrior, which is in turn more virile than the Shogun? ; )

I don't think I'm hard enough hto own a Mitsi

Audi A4 2.7 tdi - Horse trailer towing - Avant

A Mitsubishi might be OK if there's only a Colt in the horse trailer....

Seriously, look very carefully at the weight limit for your car and trailer. A 4x4 might be a better bet.

Audi a4 2.7 tdi - Horse trailer towing - davmal
No, its just a different skills set.

Is the Barbarian more macho than the Warrior, which is in turn more virile than the Shogun? ; )

I don't think I'm hard enough hto own a Mitsi

What are the criteria? Shaved head? Tattoos? Is a woman automatically excluded from Barbarian ownership?

Yup. Just like with Yorkies.

Audi a4 2.7 tdi - Horse trailer towing - SteveLee

Surely you only need one horsepower.

You'll be here all week will you Steve..?

You can collect your coat and join Gordon!

Audi a4 2.7 tdi - Horse trailer towing - Roly93

I think with either of these vehicles you also need a divers watch and a Rotweiller to be completely kitted out !

Audi a4 2.7 tdi - Horse trailer towing - Roly93

I think as other people have said, it would have plenty of power to do it, but the all up towing weight would be close to the limit.

Also, the clutch tends to be less robust than it should be on these so towing something heavy may hasten its demise.