All - Naming and Shaming Drivers! - unthrottled

I know naming and shaming businesses is not permitted on HJ, but could we have a name and shame board for duff drivers. ie you post the registration plate and a brief description of the transgression?

I know the answer is 'no' and Avant will give me a withering look, but I thought I'd ask anyway!

All - Naming and Shaming Drivers! - davmal
Naming and shaming is a part of my work. I do it without malice and without bearing grudges, I treat it as a teaching aid.
All - Naming and Shaming Drivers! - jamie745

Its that sort of grudge behaviour which gets bus drivers sacked because he stopped to let someone else on and the driver giving way to the bus goes 'thats outrageous i will write and complain!' when just getting a life would be a better solution.

All - Naming and Shaming Drivers! - BorisTheSpider

The answer is no, but by all means have a thread about the incident itself.

Boris (The Mod who rarely speaks)

Maybe unthrottled can do a James May at Autocar trick of the first letter of every sentance spells out the reg, make and model of the car.

What a good idea! Although a rather description of car, year, model, time and place is almost as good.

For instance, the 10 Plate Vauxhall Vectra 1.9 CDTi in silver driving along the A56 towards Chester at 35 mph at 9.45am 25/08. Yes, you! You know who you are. There was a snake behind you. If you can afford a 10 plate car, you can afford a tank of diesel-get a move on!

That's him told. I feel much better.

God i hate people like that. Ones who spend thousands on a new car, then drive like a dead pensioner to 'save money'. Its people like that who cause tailbacks through all of Britain, its like cholesterol in the veins!

Ok ive got one, forget the road it was now but NSL road, nice and straight, good conditions last Sunday at around 11am, Peugeot 308 in grey doing 43mph. Then we move into a 40 limit and its still doing 43mph. Move into a 50 limit and still doing 43mph. Back into NSL and he slowed down! Around 38 on this occasion. Finally the other side of the road was clear and straight enough at the same time to pull out and blast past them, did so, then pulled in, check my rear view and he gives me a an unpleasant hand signal and if to say 'look at the maniac in that Jag' completely oblivious.

With a bit of luck, one of them will be on here...

The 40-everywhere crowd and the its-your-problem-not-theirs will no doubt come out in force soon. They would be online already but they're not home yet due to the speed they drive at.

All - Naming and Shaming Drivers! - Bobbin Threadbare

Have you never checked out 'myroadrage.co.uk'?

I have made quite a number of posts - I use the same username. It's useless overall but very cathartic. I certainly will not miss driving around the Warrington area...!

All - Naming and Shaming Drivers! - Ben 10

Jamie, your tail is not an experience you alone have experienced. We all get behind these people or slow moving vehicles from time to time. Why get so bitter. You did the right thing. Allowed him to drive the way he wanted, his right, and within the law, then seeing it safe to do so, accelerated and overtook. Whats the beef?

Were you so up his behind that he decided to slow down, and rightly so, because the only reason he would have given a hand gesture is if you were. Anyway I would have overtaken him just like you and not even bothered to check any reaction.

I have a picture in my mind of a red faced individual with steam and profanities emitting from an open window, flashing and riding the bumper of some poor sole who just wants to get from A-B without driving at 100 miles per hour. If not its the impression I have.

Oh here we go, i knew the 'he's not breaking the law' crowd would come out soon enough. The brigade of 'he's allowed to go at the slowest speed recorded by man, its all your fault' blah blah blah blah blah blah. I knew you lot would come out eventually. Look, it may be legal but the fact is the guy obviously had no awareness as to his surroundings, doddery old pensioner who had no clue what he was doing, lane discipline was awful as well. The rare time i had a clear straight to blast past him he positioned over the centre line with a third of his car on the other side of the road so i couldnt risk going past him in case he drifted further and put me in a ditch. I wasnt asking him to drive at 100 miles per hour i was asking him to drive at a correct speed for the road.

Sadly you've got this one-extreme-or-the-other disease i speak often about on here. Things are one extreme or another, theres no middle ground. Asking him to drive at a reasonable speed for the road is translated into 'telling him to drive at 100mph' as a pathetic strawman. Why resort to that? Nobody said he had to do 100mph. Its such a tired pathetic way to string an argument out and i really am sick of people doing it. Its so boring and tiring. Its like saying because i dont like one dish on a restaurants menu i must therefore hate all of it, even if i didnt say anything of the sort. Ridiculous. Really am fed up with it.

Were you so up his behind that he decided to slow down, and rightly so,

Take your 'its your fault that he cant drive' argument elsewhere please, im so fed up of this tired argument, cant be doing with it anymore. To start with i ended up close because i was in a 60 limit and he was doing 43 and it wasnt until i was about to end up in his boot i realised just how slow he was going. I backed off but still close enough to take advantage of any gap to get round him, he either purposely blocked me off or just wasnt paying attention and drifted across the road. I think he just didnt see me at all, but you seem to think he saw me and purposely slowed down and blocked me off, it may be his 'legal right' but still deserves a kick in for being so antisocial. If he was doing 65 and weaving across the road you'd go 'look at the maniac in that Peugeot!' yet when they're going too slow the same rules dont seem to apply? Pathetic really.

because the only reason he would have given a hand gesture is if you were.

He gave a hand gesture because i overtook him, he probably didnt see me before i had done so and didnt realise how useless his driving is. Typical pensioner, thinks he owns the road, cant drive properly and thinks everything is everyone elses fault. Dont defend him.

his right, and within the law,

Drive like that on your driving test and you will fail so can we please chuck this 'his legal right' stupid argument out of the window. An examiner would fail you for driving like that. Fact. End of. No arguments. The same as an examiner would fail you (or abort the test) for driving stupidly quickly, yet you'd view that differently for some reason. It'd be my legal right to keep pigs in my back garden but it wouldnt be very sociable or respectful to other people to do so. Its my legal right to pour slurry over my car if i want to but i still wouldnt. So lets drop this 'legal right' rubbish.

I have a picture in my mind of a red faced individual with steam and profanities emitting from an open window, flashing and riding the bumper

I dont like to drive with the window open. And if he even looked in his rear view mirror and even knew of my location i'd be incredibly surprised. If he did see me then thats even worse, because then it turns from a nervous slow driver unaware of whats around him into someone purposely going out of their way to hold me up, thats what i call highly anti-social driving which deserves no credit, encouragement or defence. Again, do that on a driving test and you WILL fail it if you were deliberately obstructing or holding up traffic for no reason. That goes against everything in the highway code to purposely hold up traffic just because you cant be bothered to drive correctly. An examiner would probably abort the test if you drove like he did. I'd prefer to think he's just old deaf dumb and blind personally, i dont want to think he was being sinister or being in my way on purpose. I'd prefer to think he just wasnt paying attention.

of some poor sole who just wants to get from A-B without driving at 100 miles per hour. If not its the impression I have.

Yes its the impression alot of people like to get, if he was an Asbo teenager in a Ford Focus with side skirts going too fast you'd have a different opinion, but because its a doddery codger who cant see where he's going, just as dangerous and anti-social, its completely different. We need to stamp out this ridiculous favouritism towards the oldies which we seem to have adopted.

Edited by jamie745 on 28/08/2011 at 00:22

All - Naming and Shaming Drivers! - pda

How long is it since you passed your test Jamie?

The more I read your 'angry' posts about other drivers the more I think you have little in the way of years of experience.

>> and it wasnt until i was about to end up in his boot i realised just how slow he was going. <<

The statement above was the give away.

No forward observation, making assumptions and driving to the distance of 6' in front of your own bumper is something you should have already remedied and until you do you will continue to find yourself in situation that you can't control.

You talk of the 'correct' speed of a road.

There is no correct speed, there is a maximum speed but that is all.

You then talk of the 'right' speed for a road.

My deecision of the right speed for me to drive at takes in a lot more than you would ever consider.

Speed limit

Weather conditions wet or dry?

Vision ahead or lack of it.

Mechanical handling of vehicle.

Quantity of traffic.

Potential hazards ( bends, pedestrians etc)

And finally the way the driver feels at the time.

We all have times when we're not firing on all four cylinders, yes you as well Jamie, and it's a good driver who accepts this and takes it into consideration.

Problems at home or work, anger, lack of sleep all have bearings on our reactions and that's why there isn't a 'correct' speed for a road.

Start thinking a bit more broadly Jamie and realise it isn't all about you.

Pat

All - Naming and Shaming Drivers! - Ben 10

Pat,of course you are right. I think I'm right in my last paragraph. Okay Jamie your window was shut, but the rest....

I am pretty tolerant on the road, but if an ahole rode my bumper because I wasn't making progress in his/her eyes, I to would get annoyed.

"but because its a doddery codger"You never mentioned any such fact in your post.

Like I said why get so wound up. Find an appropriate section of road and overtake. You'll have a cardiac arrest some time soon, and stress is a big problem. Psoriasis, heart disease yada yada. Grow up Jamie. You drive a Jag don't you. An old mans car anyway so why not a mature driving attitude to go with it.

Edited by Ben 10 on 28/08/2011 at 11:28

Much blaming of doddery old codgers, but there are worse offenders: tractors hauling sugar beet, horse trailers, mobile cranes, LGVs observing their speed limit (at 43 they'd be speeding), hea***s, ambulances, learners, farmers, farmers and farmers.

My Kato could be down to 30 mph on parts of the A9, and at over 2.4m wide and left hand drive, there were plenty of drivers too chicken/inexperienced to execute an overtake.

My deecision of the right speed for me to drive at takes in a lot more than you would ever consider.

That is presumptuous to say the least. You then imply that driving slowly is a good remedy vehicle or mind not being in sound condition!

The 'correct' speed is the one that a reasonable driver would find comfortable-given the prevailing conditions. The person at the head of a snake is not being reasonable.

So none of you will admit or acknowledge that if you drove like that on your driving test, specfically wandering across the road with zero lane discipline (the odd thing was when something came from the other direction he moved back to his own lane then proceeded to go down the middle of the road the rest of the time) and doing 43 in a 60 for no reason, then doing 43 in a 40 so you're speeding, that you would fail your driving test. This is fact. Why is nobody acknowledging this fact? Why are you all defending the pensioner who would fail a driving test today? And if Ben is right that he was using two lanes on purpose and deliberately slowing me down then he'd definately fail, deliberately blocking traffic, examiner wouldnt like that one little bit. Why are we getting bogged down with the 'he felt right to drive like that' felt right to drive half on the wrong side of the road? Hey i feel right to drive on the pavement so i must be right.

Rather than acknowledge this fact you're all having a go at me and my supposed lack of experience. The fact is the guy couldnt stay in lane and was a useless driver. End of. Unbelievable. Just shocking really.

Edited by jamie745 on 28/08/2011 at 15:25

How long is it since you passed your test Jamie?

October 2002

Speed limit

Was 20mph above what he was doing, and 3mph below what he was then doing.

Weather conditions wet or dry?

Dry, clear day.

Vision ahead or lack of it.

Perfectly clear, no excuses.

Mechanical handling of vehicle.

His problem not mine.

Quantity of traffic.

Nothing in front of him. They were all already at their destination, finished what they were doing and on their way back by this point.

Potential hazards ( bends, pedestrians etc)

I'd be surprised if he'd even notice them but very little, theres one blind bend on that stretch which i'd passed before i came across him.

And finally the way the driver feels at the time.

Irrelivant. 'I Feel this way so i'll hold everyone up' What a disgusting attitude.

We all have times when we're not firing on all four cylinders, yes you as well Jamie, and it's a good driver who accepts this and takes it into consideration.

If you're not fit to be able to drive in your own lane then its a good driver who accepts this, considers this and stays at home and doesnt drive.

Problems at home or work, anger, lack of sleep all have bearings on our reactions and that's why there isn't a 'correct' speed for a road.

If you've got problems at work or home, anger, lack of sleep etc thats all YOUR responsibility and YOUR problem and shouldnt be left to me to deal with the effects of it. You cant just go out there and say 'well ive got problems at home so i'll drive on the wrong side of the road today because thats how i feel'. If those things mean you cant drive correctly (not just the speed but in general, in the wrong lane, not checking mirrors or even knowing the speed limit etc) then DONT drive. Why should your problems affect the rest of us?

Start thinking a bit more broadly Jamie and realise it isn't all about you.

Couldnt i say 'its not all about you' to the person who thinks their home problems affecting their driving should become everyone elses problems?

Theres a section of the theory test which states if you're angry then dont drive until you're calm. My driving instructor always told me if im not in a fit state to drive then dont drive, someone distracted, angry, depressed etc is just as dangerous as a drunk driver, especially if they think its ok to let those things affect their driving.

Look in general i understand what you're saying. Its not always safe to drive at the speed limit, many factors are involved but the fact is in this case this was someone who was unaware of his surroundings and couldnt stay in lane. In general i agree with you, ive been on 60 limits where about 45 is generally about right as alot of difficult bends, trees etc limit your view ahead, this wasnt one of those times. People who would stick religiously to the speed limit are also dangerous. Driving by numbers is dangerous. In general i agree with you, but not in this specific case. All those things you listed which would dictate your speed are all completely right and i apply the same rules and if this was one of them instances i wouldnt of been annoyed in the slightest.

You dont need to tell me all of this i already agree with you, im not someone who goes around religiously at the speed limit with blinkers on not paying any attention. Im also fully aware that nobodies perfect and obviously we're not robots but by the same token things happening in your personal life shouldnt be made to effect everyone else on the road.

Edited by jamie745 on 28/08/2011 at 15:58

If the person was an habitual dawdler, then perhaps some of these gripes would be valid. However, it seems that we are all talking about one off incidents. It's given and accepted that we all have bad days, perhaps our demon drivers were just having their bad day?

Myself, I never make mistakes but some days I'm surrounded by idiots who just don't know what I'm thinking .

Well obviously we dont know these people and have no interest in stalking them for months to observe their driving, all we can report is one off incidents.

To be honest im not a particularly fast driver, you might all think im a red faced steam eared angry person who goes everywhere at 150mph but im not to be honest. I see no point in going anywhere needlessly quickly, like on a motorway when its busy, theres no point in steaming down the outside at 95 because you dont get anywhere any quicker, just waste petrol for no reason. Theres 30mph limits in towns but theres no point in reaching 30 because then you have to stop for lights or a crossing or something. Its rare that i actually get stressed behind the wheel and i put that partly down to the car, the Jag is a calming environment to be in and i like that. Driving in this country is hardly a stress free experience and i have no intention of adding to that needlessly. I can do economy driving as well im not an oafish idiot.

Well we all have off-days when our driving is pretty crap. But when my driving is rubbish, I usually know it's rubbish and do my best to concentrate harder. With the dawdlers, one gets the impression that they're oblivious to their shortcomings-or simply don't care.

But when someone pulls out from a side road, causing you to brake, you know that they will be a dawdler. It is invariably an old codger who can no longer judge speed and distance.

So you're saying if you were aware your driving was rubbish you'd perhaps notice that you were driving on the wrong side of the road and really try and not do that? You're right that most of the old dawdlers dont notice their poor driving, or they dont care. I'd prefer to think its the former.

All - Naming and Shaming Drivers! - Avant

"....you might all think im a red faced steam eared angry person who goes everywhere at 150mph but im not to be honest."

Fair enough Jamie - but have you considered why we might all think that? You don't want us to think it, do you?

You continually lower the tone of what start as intelligent discussions by being needlessly confrontational and controversial, and you weaken your case by annoying people. Think - before you write - what you are going to say and what effect it might have on other people reading it.

You could start by trying to limit each post to, say, 200 words.

Website hanging and won't post!

Edited by pda on 29/08/2011 at 06:40

I think Jamie is a female.

Most females use 27 words to say just one:)

Pat

Cheeky little so and so! Looks like someone deserves a spank.

All - Naming and Shaming Drivers! - Bobbin Threadbare

Watch him, Pat - he's an incorrigible little flirt.

I've dealt with better men than Jamie, Bobbin;)

Pat

All - Naming and Shaming Drivers! - expatsFL

Just about sums it up avant. 9 years of driving and now the resident HJ expert!

Edited by expatsFL on 31/08/2011 at 17:05

All - Naming and Shaming Drivers! - Dutchie
All - Naming and Shaming Drivers! - Dutchie
Don't mesh with Pat Jamie,she eat you for breakfast 6ft or not.;)

Hey! Ive had some violent fiesty lasses in my time. One chased me with a knife once (essex girls are mental!) im sure Pat'll be no prob :P