Toyota Avensis 2004 - knocking on steering - Will Marshall

It began as an intermittent knocking sound on column when changing steering wheel direction parking but developed to also making a similar sound on rough roads. smooth roads are fine and silent at any speed.

Local mechanic initially thought it was play where the wishbones connect to steering rack but after removinf the gaiters they were both absolutely fine. He had another look and said there was a cigarette paper's thickness of play where steering column spline meets rack (can't remember exact terms he used). But both he and mot guy who passed it recenly with no advisory's reckoned it wasn't dangerous and would last a long time if I could put up with the noise.

I can't really because it spoiling an otherwise very good car with less than 60k miles on the clock.

I've read that greasing worked get rid of the knocking on earlier Avensis models, but also that some 2004 t3's were recalled because the intermediate steering shaft was incorrectly assembled and sometimes resulted in premature wear of the shaft splines.

I've only bought this a couple of years ago and it was 7,000 miles beforethe knocking first appeared.

Edited by Will Marshall on 23/08/2011 at 23:45

Toyota Avensis 2004 - knocking on steering - Peter.N.

I don't know this particular car but slack in the splined joint would cause it to knock/rattle and I would suspect that a good greasing would likely affect a cure as it tends to fill in the spaces.

Toyota Avensis 2004 - knocking on steering - track

Sounds like a worn U.J in the column. Ring round a few breakers, you should find a good second hand column with UJ which should cure it. Grease wont get rid of play in anything.

Thanks.
Is there a way to ascertain for sure beforehand that it is a worn uj
How difficult and costly a job labour wise is it replacing the column. Can I assume it is for a mechanic and not an easy diy job.
double post can mod please delete.

Edited by Will Marshall on 27/08/2011 at 23:44

How can I identify if it is in actual fact a worn u/j. I don't want to buy one to find out it isn't that?

I have had three suggestions so far: Wishbones, rack, U/J
Only the wishbones have been definitely eliminated.
found this in an old forum post here concerning the T2 Avensis, don't know if it also applies to the T3.

". However it did deteriorate and by the next service it felt like I was steering with a threepenny bit ( dont know if you are old enough to remember those)
If you can get it done under warranty I would , because I think it is a fiddly job as they have to dismantle steering lock, indicator switches etc. Because it was left so long mine needed new column bearings ( don't know if they are ball races or bushes- my guess would be plastic bushes), and even then it needed doing again once or twice while I had the car. "

Edited by Will Marshall on 06/09/2011 at 20:26

Reply from another forum

cmia:
You have two issues here, Both are known problems with Avensis.

1) rattling steering rack
2) Knocking Steering coloum.

1) - You need to replace the 3 bushes that are worn out, These bushes are located on each end of the rack and Pinion.
If rack Pinion has play then rack will need to be replaced.

2) - You need to check for play in the join of the steering colum that goes through the bulkhead of the car.
Also if the grease has dryed up, you will need to regrease.

you can do them your self.
It requires you taking the inner rods out and revoving the old bushes and replacing them by pressing them in "

I have asked for clarification/photos of how to go about it.