Which MPV/Van with 4k budget? - medicpaul

We are in the process of selling our b6 audi avant for something bigger. 2 young children mean car seats, buggie's and the kitchen sink normally come on every journey. We need something bigger.

We do approx 12k per year, mostly A roads, our budget is a maximum of 4k. The VW transporter would ideal but there out of our budget, perhaps a TDI MPV? Any suggestions or advice?

Which MPV/Van with 4k budget? - Ethan Edwards

Your 4K will buy you a good R Scenic or my fave a Xsara Picasso.

Regarding the X-Pic do NOT buy the 1.6TD go for the larger engine. If you get a good one you'll love it. Great value basic transport. I used and abused mine but I look after my cars and it never let me down once.

Which MPV/Van with 4k budget? - medicpaul

I heard mixed views about the renaults and the citroens, are these really any good? Would a alhambra be a better choice?

Which MPV/Van with 4k budget? - Ethan Edwards

Or a Ford Galaxy with a Seat badge. Dunno never owned one.

i have had a Scenic and a XPic. I prefered the Xpic but there are more than few people who I heard have had problems with them. I bought a good used one from a Citroen Main dealer. You'll get a better deal privately but no warranty. So my experince was that the Xpic was good value, talk to ten other people you'll get ten different answers.

Anyone else want to jump in?

Which MPV/Van with 4k budget? - SteveLee

Alhambra/Galaxy/Sharan all the same basic VW-designed car underneath 'cept the 4 pot petrol “Fords” which have a Ford engine - they are all utterly rubbish - one of the most unreliable cars ever built. Ford were so disgusted with the vast number of warranty claims that they ended the platform share with VW early and built their own competing car on the forthcoming Mk3 platform (S-MAX) - although it shares many components with the 3rd gen Alhambra/Sharan – it's actually screwed together properly in Gent instead of the awful Portuguese tat across the rest of the range. If you get a good early PD engined car – well done – other than that run away. Most have probably been used as airport taxis anyway. For some reason you can put a VW badge on a doggie-log and people will still buy it.

The PSA equivalents (806, Citroën C8) of the generation were far more reliable if not exactly a paragon of reliability themselves and are cheaper toboot. However they are rather van-like to drive (unsurprisingly given that they ARE vans!).

Citroën C4 Grand Picassos have just dropped below the £5K mark, save another grand and get one of those in 7 seater form – vastly better than the Gen1 and Gen2 Sharan clones and quite nice to drive (for the class).

Which MPV/Van with 4k budget? - Avant

Look at the Toyota Verso as well: there are some good Citroens and Renaults around but they're more of a gamble. French cars are more vulnerable to neglect / abuse by previous owners than Japanese.

Which MPV/Van with 4k budget? - piston power

Ford transit mini bus & remove some seats & lots of space for all the buggies and shopping. :-)

Which MPV/Van with 4k budget? - daveyK_UK

im no fan of french cars especially renaults BUT the citroen berlingo multispace / Peugeot Partner Tipee from 2008 onwards is a brillant MPV van.

You might just might pick up in an auction a high mileage 1.6 petrol version on an 08 plate for 4k but I would be prepared to pay a bit more and get the 1.6 diesel.

And dont make the mistake of buying the mark 1 multispace which while being ok was still very much a van, the mark 2 of the berlingo multispace is 100 times better.

the berlingo/partner are alot more reliable and spacious when compared to the renault kangoo equivelent.

The other alternatives are the ford tourneo connect which is expensive but nice to drive or the fiat doblo which I found to be very spacious but you have to go for a diesel. The petrols where slow and very thirsty (especially the 1.4). My Doblo comments refere to the mark 1 Doblo, im sure the mark 2 is a much better mpv car/van but its not long been out so I doubt you will get one for less than £6k.

And you could always consider a vauxhall combo crew van, very cheap, ok reliability, 1.3 diesel and ok drive.

But if I had the choice ofthe MPV vans it would be for the citroen berlingo multispace from 08 onwards.

Which MPV/Van with 4k budget? - unthrottled

My uncle has a Transporter-but then he has five children.

Wouldn't an A6 Avant or a Passat suit your needs? I used to use a Vauxhall Zafira as a work pool car and I wasn't impressed. It was much less refined than an estate-but not really any bigger.

Which MPV/Van with 4k budget? - pugswhdi

I'm guessing but think that you need space for the child seats and would like to have enough room left over for a friend or grandparent etc?

We've got 3 kids but often need 6 seats and considered all sorts (including all those mentioned previously) before finally going for a Honda FRV. We'd a £5k budget when we bought one a year ago. Not many FRVs come up in this price range but they will if you wait. Ours is a 1.7 petrol se model. Its the bottom spec (bar the alloys) but still has climate, abs, 4x electric windows and a decent cd/radio system. It doesn't have cruise, traction, leather or a built in dvd player but cruise and traction are just something else to go wrong. In common with all FRVs though it has 6 seats (3 up front and 3 in the back). Also worth knowing is that you can put 3 child seats in the rear side by side and keep a very decent sized boot available for all the clutter a family has.

So far (9,000 miles) ours has been brilliant. Great around town as it's quite a small car and recently it took 6 of us to Cornwall for a fortnight (2000 miles round trip) including 3 bodyboards, wetsuits, double buggy and a travel cot without needing a roofbox!

Have a look at one, if you like what you see then wait for the right one to turn up. We paid £4700 for ours (2004 1.7 se with 60k) almost a year ago from a small independent trader.

Private owners are generally very happy with Honda cars and the early FRVs are farily simple which should keep maintenance reasonable.

Which MPV/Van with 4k budget? - gordonbennet

Proper estate car would have stacks of room, you don't need to go MPV unless you really want one.

Mondeo, Avensis, Vectra (huge) and it's sister Signum to name only 4 in no particluar order, they are all proper shaped estates designed to carry stuff not look the part.

You can go upmarket to MB E class, BMW 5 series etc but you won't get anywhere near the value for money.

Which MPV/Van with 4k budget? - cavey76

I'd second the FRV. We got one late last year when number arrived. So we drive about in it weekly with a full load. The benefit for us with a new born and a 2.5 year old who still occassionaly wants to cadge a lift in the double buggy is that you can fit an enormous amount i.e a full size Phil and Teds buggy in the boot. Funnily enough ours has just returned from a round trip to Devon with no problems.

The older petrols should be within your price range if not the diesels