VW/Beetle - Advised i need an Engine rebuild - VW Beetle - mtdmitchell

Hi

Apologise my first post is to ask for help.

My Wife’s beetle has been smoking from the exhaust for a while now, not all the time but when in slow moving traffic or low in gear. Big puffs of blue spoke that really stinks, so I took it to a mechanic ( a new local one) who thought that the wrong oil had been put into the car when the last service was completed - I've had to top the oil up twice now since that service in February!

The Mechanic flushed the oil and replaced the oil filter and topped up with the correct oil. He phone my wife and told her to collect the car when she arrived the car was still smoking really bad so the mechanic put the car on the diagnostic machine and it retuned and error code which related to the spark plugs so he replaced the spark plugs and said that there was oil in the spark plugs and he thought that the engine seal had broken. The mechanic said the car needed and engine rebuild at a cost of £600 - £700! But he wasn’t sure this was the problem although he did consult 4 other mechanics close by and they all agreed it was the engine seal. I think he was referring to the piston seal? he said one of the 3 seals that keeps the oil seperate from another part of the engine could have blow due to the wrong oil being used or the engine being over filled with oil.

The engine management light does come on every now and then but normally goes off. This light first come on after my last mechanic who I now know to be a compete Muppet serviced the car and changed the timing belt and tension kit - on doing this he left the wires to the injection system touching the engine and they melted. This was the first time the engine management light had come on.
He repaired the wires but the light still come on every now.

Do i really need and engine rebuild?

1.6 beetle
year 2001

VW/Beetle - Advised i need an Engine rebuild - VW Beetle - unthrottled

There are valve seals and piston rings. The failure of either will cause heavy oil consumption and smoke. The failure of rings involves complete disassembly of the bottem end of the engine. A wet/dry compression test can differentiate between worn piston rings or valve seals.

If the ignition system was compromised by the melting wires then the unburned fuel would wash the oil off the cylinder bores and would fairly quickly cause ring wear. In all probability, a rebuild is the only fix. A temporary band aid would be to try a heavy weight 20w50 oil and see if that reduces the smoking to an acceptable level-but it won't do the rest of the e ngine any good at all.

Thanks for the advise....so is it possible this issue was caused by the Wire to the injection system being damaged? dont suppose i could prove it

VW/Beetle - Advised i need an Engine rebuild - VW Beetle - unthrottled

Quite possibly. But it should have caused a noticeable fault at the time; it wouldn't be insidious.

Yeah it did cause us problems at the time, the car had no power and would not drive properly...i just took it back and the mechanic repaired the cable and all seemed okay.

but the problems with the smoke have been there since this the cabe issue. The mechanic told me the cat was clogged up and the car just needed a good run out.........i have now gone to a new mechanic as the previous seemes incapable of sorting it.....When i bought the car the breather pipe was bust and oil was coming out of it...VW repaired it for £300 and did not mention anything could be wrong but ive just read on a forum that oil coming out of the breather pipe could have been a sign the pistons had gone.

Car has been with VW dealer for a day and half now, they did the compressions test and said that the reading from the cylinders arereally good for a car of this age.

so that rules out the piston rings thank god....but they are struggling to find anything wrong with the car...even though there is oil in the spark plugs and blue smoke comin out of the exhuast when it gets hot.

VW/Beetle - Advised i need an Engine rebuild - VW Beetle - Peter.N.

If its not getting past the piston rings and the plugs are oily it must be coming down the valve stems.

Update....HELP! the car has now been at a VW Dealership for 4 weeks now, after the compressions test came back good they said the isssue must be that one of the valvestem seals is faulty. So i they went ahead with the job to replace the faulty seal. A 2 day job has turned into four weeks. They have now replaced the Steam seals, fitted a new head gasket,head bolt, Exhaust Valve, Inlet Valve, Cam Cover gasket, Down Pipe Gasket, Exhaust Gasket, Cambelt, Oil Coolant, Inlet gasket. The engne has been sent away twice for repair as they first time it came back the problem still existed, so on advise from VW germany they sent the engine of to be repaired again....and again after all this work the original problem still persists....but now the car smokes all of the time when it gets hot! VW have said no other VW has ever had this problem....and i may need a new engine. Next week one of the VW techs is going to strip the engine as a personal project to find the problem...they think its a faulty cylinder. The tech at VW admtted to me that they have been guessing the problem all along and are still guessing! Dont really know to do at this stage, i have nothing to lose leaving the car with them...they arent going to charge me for any of the work or parts and they given me a hire car for free...i just want to know what the problem is be? and fix it as the engine has only done 70K can anyone one suggest what the issue might be i dont see it being a Cylinder?

IS there a simple test that can be performed on the cylinders? ive read on the interenet that unplugging the spark plugs one by one while the engine is running should show a noticable drop in the engine revs ( something like that) if the engine doesnt drop then the cylinder is faulty?

VW/Beetle - Advised i need an Engine rebuild - VW Beetle - dieselnut

Did you see this post :-

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=93798

Perhaps the 1.6 has a similar breather arrangement.

Would be a bit embarassing for the VW garage if that were the cause.

VW/Beetle - Advised i need an Engine rebuild - VW Beetle - cupragavs

Hi all,

Was this problem ever solved? I have an identical problem, though I have decided to tackle it myslef. I also replaced the valve stem seals then the problem got worse, ie more smoke. I am contemplating replacing the engine.

VW/Beetle - Advised i need an Engine rebuild - VW Beetle - mylo
So did you get to the bottom of this matter with your engine as I have a similar problem with my 1.6 beetle ,which has just had the valve stem seals done and is still smoking even though I was told the the rings were ok as they put thin oil on top of the pistons when it was apart and no oil passed the rings ....