Rover 75 (diesel) - Repair costs much higher for this car? - cosmicjazzer

Am wanting to buy a used estate car for around £1,800. I'm quite drawn to the Rover 75 (I'd only go for the diesel version) but am just a little worried that any future repair costs could be so much more than other makes/models given that Rover are defunct. Anyone know whether this is indeed the case? Many thanks!

Rover 75 (diesel) - Repair costs much higher for this car? - unthrottled

Well, it's a BMW engine. They're not defunct. Most of the running gear is generic and pattern parts are readily available. bodywork/interior might be more problematic. there's always breakers!

That's helpful - thanks.

Rover 75 (diesel) - Repair costs much higher for this car? - jamie745

Not much wrong with those engines at all but if you have £1800 to spend on an estate, and you want it to be a good workhorse i could probably find some better suggestions than the Rover.

Not much wrong with those engines at all but if you have £1800 to spend on an estate, and you want it to be a good workhorse i could probably find some better suggestions than the Rover.

Well I do want a workhorse but, in an ideal world, one that looks great, is cheap to maintain, larger rather than smaller with frugal fuel consumption! Yes it might be asking a bit much so am open to compromise....

I'm definitely not fixed on the idea of a 75 so would be very interested in any suggestions/ thoughts. Other models that sprang to mind are Ford Focus, Pug 406 Hdi, Vauxhall Astra. But I don't much like the appearnce of the Focus or Astra (though they're still in the running...), I ruled out Volvo v40 because of its annoying loading lip at back btw...

Rover 75 (diesel) - Repair costs much higher for this car? - jamie745

I think the Focus is an estate-light when you can get a bigger, better looking Mondeo for around the same money. The Peugeot 406 HDi i was going to suggest, a well maintained one with the 2.0 HDi engine is a very strong car and alot of taxi drivers near me still use them with 250k on them with no problems, although most of them will be high mileage now and how much longer they've got left is uncertain. The Volvo V40 isnt ideal and for that money V70's will be the older less economical models.

Check out the VW Passat 1.9 TDi Estate also, few kicking about on AT for under 2k