Proliferation of Adverts on HJ! - happy polo

It's becoming increasinly irritant over my past few visits that when reaching the HJ site one is bombarded with additional windows showing adverts for some c**p or other. If I wanted three different browser windows open, two of which showing completely pointless web 'pages', then I'm very capable of arranging that myself!

As it happens, all I actually want is the one site I have navigated to! Is it only me who finds this enormously annoying?!!

Proliferation of Adverts on HJ! - unthrottled

No. It's a perennial topic of discussion.

Proliferation of Adverts on HJ! - Andy P

Use Firefox and turn the pop-up blocker on.

Proliferation of Adverts on HJ! - jamie745

Plenty of other websites which rely on advertising revenue manage to operate without kicking their users in the head with adverts.

Proliferation of Adverts on HJ! - John Boy

Use Firefox and turn the pop-up blocker on.

I second that - it works a treat!

Proliferation of Adverts on HJ! - TeeCee

Never noticed.

I guess IE's popup blocker works as well as the FF one.....

Proliferation of Adverts on HJ! - Avant

I have taken this up before with the publishers, and their vew (and my own experience) is that it happens only with Internet Explorer. Firefox has been suggested, and I find no problems if I access the site via Google Chrome.

Anyone who's having trouble - try one of these and let us know on here how you get on. If there are still problems. I'll report them.

The less involvement I have with Microsoft, the better life becomes!

Edited by Avant on 03/08/2011 at 21:45

The less involvement I have with Microsoft, the better life becomes!

That's as close as Avant has ever come to naming and shaming.

it happens only with Internet Explorer

So...just the one 9 out of 10 web users use then. Super!

Proliferation of Adverts on HJ! - carl_a

it happens only with Internet Explorer

So...just the one 9 out of 10 web users use then. Super!

Actually 4 out of 10, Google Chrome now second most popular with 2 in 10 with firefox now 3rd, an apple product of some sort comes fourth.

Proliferation of Adverts on HJ! - dumbo

I use Firefox and I have the pop-up stopper enabled. However, I still get them, particularly the full page tab that intrudes when I select 'Backroom'.

I only stay because of the quality of the posters and loyalty. If people like unthrottled leave so will I.

Proliferation of Adverts on HJ! - cilvilservant

<...I only stay because of the quality of the posters...>

You're having a laugh...!

Proliferation of Adverts on HJ! - John F

Is it only me who finds this enormously annoying?!!

Clearly not......but I suppose the site has to pay for itself somehow.......who owns it? Can we see the accounts? Is it HJ's pension?

Proliferation of Adverts on HJ! - Dynamic Dave

Clearly not......but I suppose the site has to pay for itself somehow.......who owns it? Can we see the accounts? Is it HJ's pension?

I don't know how accurate the data is on these sites but why not enter the site url and look.

www.webworth.info

www.websitelooker.com

Proliferation of Adverts on HJ! - ForumNeedsModerating

Well, judging by figures produced by those website valuers/income calculators, I think it a bit churlish to chide HJ for having ads - I don't imagine his/their costs are paid for by a charity & no great fortunes seem to be being made either.

As for their (the ads) intrusiveness? Well, a little research into browser functionality should help there. For my part they're no problem & I realise that without them a useful resource might not be available.

No.

My mental image of Honest John ads an archetypal James Bond Villain sitting in an underground board room has been shattered.

Proliferation of Adverts on HJ! - ForumNeedsModerating

Perhaps slighlty off-topic & definitely none of my business, but my impression is that Honest John himself has taken a bit of a back seat (!) role since the make-over a year or so ago - there are more tests by others now & HJ himself doesn't seem to post (here) as frequently as before.

I think the site, as a result, has lost a bit of that unique 'character' that made it stand out above the plethora of similar motoring sites. I stand to be corrected on the above by HJ of course!

Well the retiring Godfather fits in with the underworld stereotype. He delegates to his hired goons like Avant to run the racket.

Proliferation of Adverts on HJ! - John F

Thanks, DD - most interesting....I live and learn!

A daily ad revenue of $100 translates to $36500 per annum before expenses. Well done HJ - and best wishes for its continuation. This site with its various posters; most goodwilled, a few churlish, continues to be amusing....for me, anyway.

I don't mind the straight forward Ads but the advertorials are terrible! In the 'News' Section there's a Funniest things left in a hire car.

1.) A recent receipt for EUROPCAR displaying very reasonable rates for a full size saloon. (weekend rates apply)

2.) A dead Rhodesian hedgehog.

3.) cont'd.

I don't know how accurate the data is

Nobodies ever said the website shouldnt be paid for by ads. The point is that plenty of other websites fully fund themselves with ads without letting them obstruct the site and deter people from visiting.

I don't know how accurate the data is

Hmmm! invisible ink. I'll try again.

As I said above. All that I can say that when I used to be a mod on here, the figures were different to that. I cannot say anything other than that. I'll leave you to come to your own conclusions.

Not sure what conclusions could meaningfully be drawn from such an ambiguous statement.

It's a fascinating link though. Even websites that we regard as giants have quite a low valuation.

TDICLUB.com is only valued at £42,000!

I wouldnt say no to £42,000 though would you? Could buy lots of treats with that :)

Oops. That should be $42,000.

If you look at the wealth of information on there, it should be worth much more. No Cashcow adverts either!

Webworth doesnt think moneysupermarket exists.

Speaking of money matters, our avuncular accountant is lying low. I Hope he hasn't fallen foul of HJ!

Proliferation of Adverts on HJ! - Avant

No - just out late yesterday and today (and tomorrow as well) - believe it or not, accountants have a life.... (I'm a training manager rather than someone who actually does accounts).

Google Chrome seems to be the best bet so far: let me know if you have problems with adverts while using this.

I will ask our publishers if they know anything about an occasional advert that clearly has a virus - something to do with the Sun. It appears on this site if you're using IE, and seems to copy itself repeatedly and slow the computer down; pop-up blockers seem to have no effect.

Ive avoided Google Chrome since the memory leak issue.

Welcome back Avant, its slightly depressing i have less of a life than an Accountant right now but hey ho. Plenty for you to catch up on :)

Proliferation of Adverts on HJ! - carr

Daily Mash has an amusing article on the mindset of people still using MS Explorer

tinyurl.com/3r6xlo4

For this site we just need to be very patient while they swap browsers and master the pop up blocker.

Edited by carr on 07/08/2011 at 10:01

Proliferation of Adverts on HJ! - rtj70

If anyone was really interested then you could always look at the details on Companies House (Company No. 06011794)

But you'd have to pay.

Edited by rtj70 on 08/08/2011 at 00:39

No problem with Zoosk dating service advertising on HJ but perhaps the top banner isn't the best place for their ad; four mugshots of young girls juxtaposed to a grinning middle aged man is not a good look!