Engine oil offer - Asda - gramar

Popped into my local Asda yesterday and saw they are selling their own branded 5 litre packs of engine oil for £10 instead of £16 - I'm tempted to buy some (Either 10/40 or 5/30 Semi Synthetic. Does anyone know who supplies it to them?

Engine oil offer - Asda - Bobbin Threadbare

I had read that it is Comma Oil who supply Asda (and Halfords and probably Tescos and a lot of garages too). It has to meet minimum specs to be sold in the UK so if it meets the car's requirements I wouldn't be nervous about using it.

Engine oil offer - Asda - Ethan Edwards

Quite right BT. Unless your running a Veyron or Zonda then as long as the oil meets the API standards (and oil sold in the UK certainly will) then the rest is 90% marketing billhooks.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/API.html

Certainly a ten year old Corsa or Mondeo won't be that picky. As long as you get the type right (eg oil for na petrol or na or Turbo Diesel etc), get the viscosity right, semi synthetic etc (if it's called for in your owners manual) and Bob's your relative.

If you just want the 'cheapo' for topping up or running a petrol lawnmower then this kind of savings a no brainer.

Just don't put cheapo into a car that someone has filled with Mobil1 synthetic though, as they won't thank you.

Engine oil offer - Asda - oldroverboy

Just don't put cheapo into a car that someone has filled with Mobil1 synthetic though, as they won't thank you.

Just had the "change oil soon" warning indicator come on on my epica vcdi 6000 miles after an oil change using mobil1 0w40 charged at £11 a litre + vat at a service (invoiced 7 litres) (given almost a litre in the botttle). Ouch!

had to have oil change done, so used castrol 5w40 edge for £51 all in. saving quite a bit.

DPF function to be checked....

Engine oil offer - Asda - 1litregolfeater

Quite right BT. Unless your running a Veyron or Zonda then as long as the oil meets the API standards (and oil sold in the UK certainly will) then the rest is 90% marketing billhooks.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/API.html

Certainly a ten year old Corsa or Mondeo won't be that picky. As long as you get the type right (eg oil for na petrol or na or Turbo Diesel etc), get the viscosity right, semi synthetic etc (if it's called for in your owners manual) and Bob's your relative.

If you just want the 'cheapo' for topping up or running a petrol lawnmower then this kind of savings a no brainer.

The most frequent failure for Corsa engines is poor oil changes.

I must encourage all Corsa owners who view this thread to change their oil at 6000 miles with Full Synthetic.

Then they'll last forever and no I don't work for an oil company.

5W/30, Fully Synth, new filter.... go and do it now!

Engine oil offer - Asda - madf

Fully synthetic oil is gross overkill for aany normal engine.. expecially a Corsa..Semi synthetic meets 90% of all engines .. except Subaru and hi performance cars (which by definition excludes Corsas)

Engine oil offer - Asda - davmal
Even if it's got alloys and LED washer jets?
Engine oil offer - Asda - madf
Even if it's got alloys and LED washer jets?

And driven by a pimply sub 30 year old with a baseball cap on the wrong way round and a stereo system worth more than the car?

It could have sand in the engine for all the driver cares...

Engine oil offer - Asda - unthrottled

There's no such thing as truely synthetic oil-at least not on the open market.

Nevertheless I would be inclined to treat oil specifications with respect.

For example VW are very particular about the specification of oil for their PD engines-and there's a good reason for this; the narrow cam lobes result in extremely high pressures on the lobes and lubrication can be pretty marginal. All diesel engines impose very high stresses on main bearings and rod bearings-even at idle. It's not as simple as thinking that because an engine has a low specific output that it'll muddle by on Asda's 20W50.

I agree with you, but the 1.0 and 1.2 Corsa engines aren't normal engines. They are delicate, fragile engines with low oil capacity and a poor oil pump and filter system. If you keep to the manufacturer's spec your engine will fail before time, probably from clogged oil control rings or oil-pressurised camchain tensioner. Although a 30 weight oil isn't optimal for lubrication, it gets round a bit easier.

Only 3 litres so only £12, a small price to pay.

Much cheaper than what I spent on my super woofers and neon lights.

Although a 30 weight oil isn't optimal for lubrication, it gets round a bit easier.

A 5W30 isn't a 30W oil-it's fundamentally a 5W oil with viscosity extenders to bring the viscosity of the oil up to the samerange as a straight 30W at operating temperature.

So basically the same at normal temperature - how come 5/30's thinner then. If this is the case I may have to revisit my learnt ideas, and try 5w/40 again!

Do I get a guarantee?

Honest, 5/30 seems to work sweeter, although it is counter-intuitive.

Now I've found an oil viscosity that works well I'm going to need some convincing, maybe the viscosity extenders make 5/40 a turgid gloop.

I would imagine that the 5W/30 would work a bit better under most circumstances.

From a cold start 5W30 and 5W40 have the same viscosity. At operating temperature 5W30 is thinner than 5W/40.

In petrols, the difference between multigrade oils and true straight weight isn't that significant, but in diesels, the viscosity of multigrade oils can temporarily drop sharply under high pressures and lubrication can become marginal. To an extent, this problem has been overcome with advances in tribology. But you'll still find the HD diesels running on 15W40! They don't trust the thin stuff.

except Subaru and hi performance cars (which by definition excludes Corsas)

This is a very silly statement.

A 75hp 1.2 in a 2000lb corsa is going to be working much harder than a 200hp+ 2.0 engine in a 2800lb Impreza.

There's very little opportunity to use that power. It's the duty cycle that matters, not the peak hp rating.

Engine oil offer - Asda - jamie745

Yes unthrottled enjoys telling me the 240bhp in my car is rarely used nor required.

It isn't. 40hp is good for 75mph, 65hp should just about get you to 100mph-Add a bit more for a slush box ;)

You'll be able to accelerate more quickly. That's it.

Engine oil offer - Asda - jamie745

But my 240bhp Jaguar can sit at 95 i mean 70...70...Seventy...seven-zero, as thats the fastest you're allowed to drive in Britain, without even thinking about it. A little 40bhp s***box will have its valves putting on a production of the lion king on the dashboard at that speed.

My brother's 1.2 will sit at 95. It wasn't that unrefined while it was at it either. Sorry.

People use far less horsepower than they think they do. That's why, 15 years ago, the reps sang the praises of the 100hp 2.0 diesels that replaced their 150 hp petrols. They didn't miss the 50hp because they seldom used it.

Engine oil offer - Asda - jorjastandish

Thanks for this useful information.