October 1999 Ford Fiesta Mk 5 1.25 Ghia - Boot popper operates when closing OSR door - prdillingham

Hi
I've got a Oct 1999 Fiesta Mk5 1.25 Ghia. With the ignition off, if I open and then close the OSR door, when I close the door, the electric boot popper operates. Turn on the ignition, and do the same again, and everything as it should be and the popper doesn't operate. Ah, I thought, it's the door ajar microswitch. Changed it. The same. Ah, it's a faulty earth, feeding the voltage from the microswitch back up the earth lead to the boot popper. Cleaned up all the earths at the base of the A pillars and in the boot. The same. Ah, it must be a faulty GEM. Changed it. The same. Ah, it must be a stray screw through the loom somewhere, shorting the microswitch and the boot popper circuits together. Off came the sill trims, out came the fuse box. Inspected, peered, pulled, prodded and.... nothing. Still my boot pops every time I close the offside rear door with the ignition off. Potential other info is that the door ajar warning light in the console only comes on with the front doors, bonnet and boot, and the courtesy light only come on with the front doors, but I don't know if this is how it comes as standard (there are no conventional door jamb switches on the rear doors). Also tried replacing the boot alarm inhibit switch as, although the double locking fires correctly and the indicators flash twice, if I do this while sitting in the car and then wait 30 secs, the alarm doesn't sound when I try to open any of the deadlocked doors. In fact, except for the presence of the alarm horn in the boot, I wouldn't believe the car has an alarm - can't get any response out of it at all and it won't go into test mode by flicking the bonnet alarm switch 8 times in 6 seconds.
Now at wits end as have run completely out of ideas. Any ideas very gratefully received.
Cheers

October 1999 Ford Fiesta Mk 5 1.25 Ghia - Boot popper operates when closing OSR door - prdillingham

Hi All

Thanks for looking. It was the GEM. Bit the bullet and got yet another one from the breakers yard. Swapped it over and problem gone. Swapped it back and problem reappeared. So I swopped in the 'good' one back in and left it for a few days. However the whizzy variable wiper function doesn't work on this one...

So took it apart and one of the siemens relays appears to be have got a bit warm in the past...

A quick internet search and these surface mounted relays appear to be giving all sorts of problems in BMW central locking, BMW electric windows and Fiat Purto electric steering, to name just a few.

Replacement relays look to be difficult to get hold of, but with two 'spare' GEM boxes, some de-soldering braid, a soldering iron and a strong magnifying glass, individual surface mounted component replacement looks like a possibility....

Cheers