Astra 2001 - MOT time "crooks" but no names - oldroverboy

Got a friend who is not very knowledgable on cars and runs an old astra, but maintains it as required. Not sure though if it would pass the mot due to age/wear related items, but booked discounted mot online , took car in and yes, it failed with £400 to put right. (front exhaust pipe and catalytic converter and 1 tyre

Took car opposite to other national chain, car put right (front exhaust pipe only, cat was ok) for £100, 2 bulbs replaced free of charge as "we don't do bulbs sir" actually got 2 budget tyres fitted and new tyres swapped to front instead of 1 at first centre for less tha £90, total less than £200.

Took car back across the road to first national chain for free retest and it passed.

Aargh!

Astra 2001 - MOT time "crooks" but no names - WellKnownSid

The big advantage of the technical (itv) test in Spain is that the testing centres don't repair cars.

I remember turning up in an old Daewoo which we'd just bought a few years back. Tracking out, two duff tyres, catalytic converter in bits, airbag light on and enough bounce in the suspension to give Tigger a run for his money.

After enduring the usual barking of orders, the pointing and laughing from the other guys working at the centre, there came the final humiliation of being asked for the paperwork - which I shakily hand over, with the other hand covering my eyes.

BANG went the stamp. SIN DEFECTOS. No defects!!

Astra 2001 - MOT time "crooks" but no names - unthrottled

My previous MOT station (whom I trusted) failed my car on 'discs and pads'. Went elsewhere; MOT passed, no advisory on worn brakes...

Astra 2001 - MOT time "crooks" but no names - jamie745

My parents recently had their other car, which theyve owned for four years, MOT'd, last year it got an advisory for corroded brake pipes, this year, same mot station, passed mot with no advisories.