Ford Focus 2006 TDCi 1.6 (110) - DPF and other matters - dylanblues

Morning all,

Hope someone may be able to clear something up for me. I bought a 2006 Focus TDCi 1.6 last year with a full service history - mileage at purchase was 95k is now at 105k. Have had the requisite nightmare with DPF, clearly didn't do enough homework here, and, after the car went into limp mode, I have just been advised by an independent garage that the Eloys fluid is empty and will cost me about £250-00 for a complete refill. They also mentioned that it should have been done as part of the 72k service.

So, I dutifully contact the Ford garage where all servicing has been undertaken and they advise me that the additive was not topped up as this is an 'optional component' of the service. Looking at the service schedule this does not seem to be the case. The garage are insistent and have agreed to provide confirmation in writing. Can anyone confirm whether or not this is the case?

The DPF was not been changed either at 72k, can anyone confirm whether this is something that I will HAVE to have done and, if so, whether I'm better off just getting it back on the road with tis 'top up' and getting shot of it. The guy who has the car at the moment thinks the top up should ensure all is OK until the end of the car's life

Sorry to waffle but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by dylanblues on 11/07/2011 at 13:25

Ford Focus 2006 TDCi 1.6 (110) - DPF and other matters - unthrottled

The DPF was not been changed either at 72k, can anyone confirm whether this is something that I will HAVE to have done

The DPF is not considered a serviceable item. Why would you expect it to be changed at 72,000 miles? The ash content of oil and diesel does not burn off and will eventually clog the filter, but in all honesty, just get it refilled with Eolys and see how it goes. You do seem to be making a mountain out of a molehill!

Ford Focus 2006 TDCi 1.6 (110) - DPF and other matters - ddr

Also £250 seems expensive for a refill. Check with a couple of independent garages.

Ford Focus 2006 TDCi 1.6 (110) - DPF and other matters - tinytiger93

Also £250 seems expensive for a refill. Check with a couple of independent garages.

I have a similar problem with my Ford Focus 2006 TDCi 1.6 LX - had an issue with the DPF some three years ago just after buying the car from Motorpoint Newport.

My mechanic tried to sort the problem out went so far as to buy the additive from Ford directly and managed to inject some fluid into the system, have had periodic problems with it since and it has been to Ford for a top up and went okay for a couple of years (on and off !)

Unfortunately now (today!) engine fault lights came on and my mechanic told me that he has tried absolutely everything with his diagnostic kits to reset the DPF but to no avail and there is nothing coming out of the exhaust. He has recommended that I don't drive the car and I will now need to have the DPF replaced. I am now in a quandry.

I have been told by a friend that a colleague of his who runs a taxi firm simply takes off the whole exhaust and bashes the hell out of the DPF until the soot loosens and you can flush it out with the additive. Is this seriously viable ?

The car is worth max £2.5k (it's done 114K) and I'm wondering if it's worth giving the above a try, or should I just bite the bullet and get it fixed by Ford - at a cost of about £900............ ??

help please - just wondered if there is a cheaper solution that Ford that I can try - don't have a lot of spare cash and can't really afford to buy a new car at this stage.....

any advice gratefully received ! - thanks

Ford Focus 2006 TDCi 1.6 (110) - DPF and other matters - dieselnut

There are companies that will remove the system altogether & reprogram the ECU for a lot less than £900 & you will also get better MPG, just google 'DPF removal'.

I used to have a C5 with the eolys fluid system & DPF.

The recognised way to clean out the DPF was to remove it & jetwash with water in alternate directions. It worked fine for me for the remaining year that I had the car.

Ford Focus 2006 TDCi 1.6 (110) - DPF and other matters - Med

Try S i n S p e e d......google it as it dont let me say the word without the spaces........

Edited by Med on 29/07/2011 at 12:52

Ford Focus 2006 TDCi 1.6 (110) - DPF and other matters - cwillcraig

Hi

I have a 2006 1.6 Diesel ford focus and the turbo as gone on it, this cost me £1400 all in to get replaced including the pipes.

Could you send me the injection doc please to cwillcraig@aol.com

Is there away of preventing this common problem? After driving with the new turbo for over a1000 miles am starting to get lose of power, mainly in the rain for some reason and am not sure if this is linked to my last problem.

Thank you

Will

Ford Focus 2006 TDCi 1.6 (110) - DPF and other matters - thunderbird

The recognised way to clean out the DPF was to remove it & jetwash with water in alternate directions. It worked fine for me for the remaining year that I had the car.

The dpf was not blocked. Once the soot particles are bonded to the matrix within the dpf the only way to remove them is by 600 degree heat (i.e. a regen). A jet wash will do nothing.

You did not have a problem to begin with.

Ford Focus 2006 TDCi 1.6 (110) - DPF and other matters - grimep

Yes I believe the garage is being truthful, the Eolys refill is technically speaking optional. When the car had its 75k service the owner would have been advised to have the fluid refilled and that to omit to do it could cause damage to the components, eg the DPF. However to save money in the short term the owner may have refused to pay for it.

In fact there is a Ford Tech Service Bulletin that talks about trying to convince an owner that the top-up in necessary, but that the owner may refuse....

Ford Focus 2006 TDCi 1.6 (110) - DPF and other matters - Elite Garage Services

Hi

Anyone thats interested we can remove the DPF and remap the Focus for £450. No more dpf problems.

Give us a call or email we are in Bathgate West Lothian

01506 653210, www.elitegarageservices.co.uk">info@elitegarageservice.co.uk or www.elitegarageservices.co.uk