Ford Ka - Ford Ka - wheel arch leak? - hellsbells82

Today I heard a strange rattling or knocking noise from my front offside corner of my car as I was driving home. It hadn't been a long drive and wasn't very fast.

Steering didn't feel any different and when I stopped and looked there was a ring of spray around the inside of the wheel arch, although I couldn't see any liquid leaking anywhere around the centre of the wheel, just seemingly sprayed outwards in a ring around the wheel arch.

When I opened the bonnet I could see the power steering fluid appeared to be boiling or bubbling in the reservoir, is this normal?? Also the engine seemed hotter than normal, especially towards the side that was affected.

Any help or advice would be great!

Ford Ka - Ford Ka - wheel arch leak? - Peter D

Steering fluid should never boil. What is the ring inside the wheel arch. You have either a split out CV boot and it is grease or you have a steering pump problem. Regards Peter

Ford Ka - Ford Ka - wheel arch leak? - hellsbells82

Sorry, when I say a ring I mean a ring of sprayed fluid around the inside of the wheel arch!

Ford Ka - Ford Ka - wheel arch leak? - Peter D

You had better check the gaitor ( bellows ) on the end of the steering rack to see if it is full of steering fluid. Do not dirve the car. Regards Peter

Edited by Peter D on 09/07/2011 at 22:05